xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to my trusty colonial spot on a gloriously sunny yet cool crisp day. I started in the lower area that I haven't hit too much. I had to cross a small ice covered stream (we're talking 6-8 inches deep here) to get to this small area of land that is an island if the tide is high. A short time in I got a high 80's signal that sounded like something good. Out popped my very first counter stamped large cent. It had the Letters AS, BS, DS on the obverse and LS, RS on the reverse. The coin looked like it might contain a fair amount of detail, but alas upon cleaning it proved to be the typical corroded copper. I was able to narrow it down to being a coronet head large cent based on the liberty, hair and ear that I could discern from what was left. The only number I had was a 4 so it could be an 1824, or 34. I have no idea if those are initials of people or a business or a phrase. Any help on that would be great. That made my day but there was still time for more treasure! Next I found a 1928 buffalo nickel that is always welcome in my treasure chest. It was getting to be time to wrap it up when I got a 78 signal. Aha what could it be!? It was a coin that appeared to be a copper about the size of a quarter. I was thinking it could be a farthing or maybe something else that was foreign but it had to be old. Upon cleaning I found a left facing bust with an ever so faint 1773 and it was holed. On the reverse there was a log cab and an 1840. Well I knew that the cabin meant one of the presidents so in about one minute we had it identified as a William Henry Harrison presidential token / medalet. WHH was known as the victor of the controversial battle of Tippecanoe in which he won by his account but may have suffered more losses than the Native Americans who attacked them. As the governor of the Indiana territory he swindled the native tribes out of hundreds of thousands of acres of land therefore contributing to their overall destruction / genocide. He went on to govern Ohio where he pushed for slavery but was undermined by a slave owning Thomas Jefferson who did not want to open any more areas to slavery. WHH went on to be the oldest elected president at 68 where he gave the longest inaugural address at a whopping 2 hrs. He served the shortest term in office of one month before expiring. Another interesting tidbit about our complicated character is that he befriended a man named George Debaptiste who was an abolitionist and a conductor on the underground railroad. Debaptiste became his live in servant while they were friends and was at his bedside during his death in the whitehouse. Debaptiste went on to help hundreds (possibley into the thousands) gain their freedom from slavery. I can only imagine the conversations that went on between the two and if Harrison had lived out his presidency would the friendship have influenced any big decisions regarding the institution of slavery? It was a great day exploring the secret history of these woods I call friend. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_6519.JPG
    IMG_6519.JPG
    817.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6518.JPG
    IMG_6518.JPG
    786.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6517.JPG
    IMG_6517.JPG
    843 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6512.JPG
    IMG_6512.JPG
    556.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6511.JPG
    IMG_6511.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6514.JPG
    IMG_6514.JPG
    521.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6513.JPG
    IMG_6513.JPG
    554.1 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 21

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Dry nice local finds, I haven’t hit any large coppers this year and only 2 all time, a toasted Connecticut and a KG

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never seen a LC that had letters pounded into it like that. Another mystery I'd like to know the answer to. Sometime the Treasure Net is the Mystery Net. Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers...congratulations! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there are any coppers around here. Thanks for the history and posting those awesome!!!!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and thanks for sharing the pics with history. I

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's got to be some somewhere in your area! Don't give up hope!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a LC that had letters pounded into it like that. Another mystery I'd like to know the answer to. Sometime the Treasure Net is the Mystery Net. Gary

We see them in my area. Not a ton, but definitely out there. The really cool thing is that sometimes people in my area find British King George coins that are stamped. Now that is something I hope I cross paths with someday!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry nice local finds, I haven’t hit any large coppers this year and only 2 all time, a toasted Connecticut and a KG

Joe Dirt they are all over Massachusetts it's just a matter of where you detect and being persistent. They are my favorite thing to find, though I could get used to finding Spanish silver if it ever happened! Most of the coppers I find are toasted as well but once in awhile you get a good one!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's got to be some somewhere in your area! Don't give up hope!
Thanks my friend my town was founded in 1817 not a lot of history but nothing would surprise me that's why I love this Hobby. Tommy

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks my friend my town was founded in 1817 not a lot of history but nothing would surprise me that's why I love this Hobby. Tommy
If your town was founded in 1817 that's around 50 years of large cent circulation after the founding. Add in the fact that older coins were still circulating at that time and the idea that people may have been living there before it was officially a town. There has to be some somewhere! Stay positive!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread