🥇 BANNER The Find Of A Lifetime! No Stamp Act Button 1766!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to another cellar hole today, along a ATV/Snowmobile trail. I was happy with the buttons and buckle parts I was finding, then I found this!!

DSC_0144.JPG

I didn't know what it was at first, but saw the bust and writing and knew it was good though. I was fantasizing about it being a George Washington button, but figured that it couldn't be one. When I got it home I looked at it under a light and read, "No Stamp Act 1766". I nearly had a heart attack reading that, I was probably holding the most historic thing I had ever held. I didn't even clean it, I don't want to risk damaging it, but it is looks to be in great shape!

Last one that was dug sold at auction for $9000. I'm not going to sell this one anytime soon though!
DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0116.JPG DSC_0148.JPG

The rest of the stuff I found today, I also found a little cufflink, not in photo though.

Still no coppers for 2018, but this button makes up for that!

Here's the one that sold for $9000 in 2009
post.png post.png

Last edited:
Upvote 133
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely the cream of the crop!
The ATV/Snowmobile trail is also old, kept from growth by the animals that prefer an easy route to travel!
Perhaps you should change your name to Buttonman123! Congratulations!

Thanks! It was once a colonial road I believe, but now is mainly used by ATV and Snow Mobiles, surprised nobody thought to metal detect there!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find. Banner vote about to go in. I was metal detecting a site with a guy on 4th of July, circa 2006 when he found one of these - in similar, excellent condition. He was only feet away. I no longer have a pic of it and that site is now a housing development. Anyway, killer find you have there. :headbang:

leonidas

Aug 30, 2018
Kennesaw, Ga
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, White's MXT, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a nice historical find. Banner

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
wow BANNER! i would have call to 9-1-1 if i found that

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing piece of history! Huge congrats to you- my banner vote is in.. If that one pictured sold for 9K in 2009 in that condition, yours has to be worth at least double to triple that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing piece of history! Huge congrats to you- my banner vote is in.. If that one pictured sold for 9K in 2009 in that condition, yours has to be worth at least double to triple that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Thanks a bunch!! I put the wrong photo in by accident, the one in the photo before in rough shape was one that went for much less. I put the one that went for 9k in now, it is much nicer than the first one, but has some cracks that go through the button. I sent HA an email, asking for an appraisal, because my button seems to be a unique variety, it is a different size (20mm) than the other two varieties I found (other examples are 16mm and 25mm), and has slightly different style writing. Perhaps this variety will make it more desirable.

I don't think I would possibly be able to sell it though, I love it a little too much for that! I just think it would be cool knowing the values, but the historical value is absolutely priceless!!

Last edited:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Banner for sure. Incredible find and it's in amazing shPe too. Congrats!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Just...W-O-W!!!!! 😱 No Brainer...Banner!!! 🙌

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner vote in and DO NOT CLEAN IT.
Thanks! All I did was give it a rinse in water to get the mud off. I'm scared to even hold it though, any ideas how to safely display it? I want it to proudly show it off in the center of a display, or by itself in a display frame, but am scared it would flake. Would it be best to just keep it wrapped in paper towels and in a plastic bag, as it is now?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
If that other one is worth $9k...I'd say yours would at the very least quadruple that!!! WOW!!!:notworthy:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! All I did was give it a rinse in water to get the mud off. I'm scared to even hold it though, any ideas how to safely display it? I want it to proudly show it off in the center of a display, or by itself in a display frame, but am scared it would flake. Would it be best to just keep it wrapped in paper towels and in a plastic bag, as it is now?

Never done this but I was thinking about preserving some of my finds ......my idea ( not actually tried it) was to seal it in a glass case filled with an inert gas . The reason is to keep the oxygen away. It can be a small cube type glass container and a way to fix it so as it can’t move.
I’m sure it’s been done but I never hear of anyone speaking of it.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe I've see a better button find on T-Net. Epic find! Banner vote has been cast. Good karma for the wallet you returned years ago. Congrats. I would take that button over a pouch full of coppers.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
banner,yours is allot better that that other one,this is why we keep digging.
brad

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow and the one that sold was some time ago. I think you might be getting a new snow machine out of that trip/ Most excellent find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread