🥇 BANNER The Find Of A Lifetime! No Stamp Act Button 1766!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to another cellar hole today, along a ATV/Snowmobile trail. I was happy with the buttons and buckle parts I was finding, then I found this!!

DSC_0144.JPG

I didn't know what it was at first, but saw the bust and writing and knew it was good though. I was fantasizing about it being a George Washington button, but figured that it couldn't be one. When I got it home I looked at it under a light and read, "No Stamp Act 1766". I nearly had a heart attack reading that, I was probably holding the most historic thing I had ever held. I didn't even clean it, I don't want to risk damaging it, but it is looks to be in great shape!

Last one that was dug sold at auction for $9000. I'm not going to sell this one anytime soon though!
DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG DSC_0147.JPG DSC_0116.JPG DSC_0148.JPG

The rest of the stuff I found today, I also found a little cufflink, not in photo though.

Still no coppers for 2018, but this button makes up for that!

Here's the one that sold for $9000 in 2009
post.png post.png

Last edited:
Upvote 133

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the find of a lifetime. I think I would stop staring at it for a week!
Banner.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
I'm happy just looking at that button! That is in excellent condition for being buried so long! Voted Banner! As for displaying it I think a small case should be enough... as long as the electric fence and guard dogs do their job! :laughing7:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got my vote for banner. That’s too cool. Big congrats to you.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! All I did was give it a rinse in water to get the mud off. I'm scared to even hold it though, any ideas how to safely display it? I want it to proudly show it off in the center of a display, or by itself in a display frame, but am scared it would flake. Would it be best to just keep it wrapped in paper towels and in a plastic bag, as it is now?
I can see why you 'might' be worried about cleaning it, but it would be easy enough, & being either copper or brass it looks in good shape & shows no signs of getting any worse.
If you want a surface cleaner get PRE-LIM its museum quality & then leave it or coat it with museum wax, this will make it look a little shinny but will seal off the air & stop any drying out (not a real issue on this one), & allow more contacts with hand acids & is completely reversible.
(or pay a lot of many to have it professionally done, by the right people who keep its patina)

CONGRATS:occasion14:

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can see why you 'might' be worried about cleaning it, but it would be easy enough, & being either copper or brass it looks in good shape & shows no signs of getting any worse.
If you want a surface cleaner get PRE-LIM its museum quality & then leave it or coat it with museum wax, this will make it look a little shinny but will seal off the air & stop any drying out (not a real issue on this one), & allow more contacts with hand acids & is completely reversible.
(or pay a lot of many to have it professionally done, by the right people who keep its patina)

CONGRATS:occasion14:

Great advice from a guy with 26 BANNERS and who certainly knows how to preserve historic finds! :thumbsup:

Dave

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Never heard of such a thing! Congratulations on banner and I applaud your love of history over love of money. At least you intend to enjoy your find for a while.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! That's incredible. Congrats!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Thanks for the banner everyone! Never thought I would be getting it for a button!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not any words that have not already been said, it MAY not be a "one of a kind", but it might as well be. The treasure gods not only smiled upon you, they gave you a nice big hug and kiss. Man, you "just never know". Great, great, beyond great find. Kind of makes you wonder just who it was that lived at that site, and who wore it, or how it came to be there. What a great moment for you coinman, so glad it happened and that you could show it. Just don't know what else to say....

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SICKKKKKKK!

I keep pretty much everything I've found. That said, for this much money? You should consider taking some extremely nice photographs of this button for an extremely nice frame, and enjoy making 5 figures from selling it. Save it, invest it (silver is cheap right now), or use the money to go on a couple of really wonderful vacations - maybe even one that has metal detecting in it. All of those things would be preferable to keeping that thing in your home, as far as I'm concerned, when you can just as easily keep a beautiful photo and still have the memories/bragging rights associated with finding it.

Up to you, though! Congrats either way -

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job coinman! That is an amazing button. Finds like that keep us all digging the next plug. Banner and continued good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread