Another silver day at the fort...

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well today Truth and I made another trip back to “Fort St.John” or the “Old Spanish Fort”. Truth just got his new 15” coil for his Equinox and he was out the gate running and nailing an IHP right off the bat.

Things were a bit slower for me, I was running my 14” Elliptical Coiltek on my CTX and besides some trash and clads the first thing I found worth mentioning was a flat round piece of lead with a hole through the middle. Neither of us have any idea what it was or used for, maybe someone here can ID it for me.

I dug a little more trash, you know the common stuff nails, bottle tops, can slaw and the likes until I detected by a huge live oak that I’ve been around more times than I can remember. I’m a sucker for those huge horizontal live oak limbs that I call “Kids Climbing and swinging limbs”, which are as big as a regular tree themselves. Anyhow, I was starting to sweep under one and got a solid 12 / 43 on the CTX, but it was only audible one way and when it did hit, it showed seven (7) inches in depth, so I decided this one I’ll dig even though it’s only hitting at only one angle.

Well of course it was right in the middle of a bifurcation of two (2) huge roots, but it was slow and I wasn’t giving up on it just yet. I dug between the roots and when I probed It with my pin pointer, I knocked some dirt loose along the left side bifurcated root where my pin pointer was going nuts and just under the root I could see about a ½ inch of the rim of a large silver coin!!! The remaining 7/8[SUP]th[/SUP] of it was still under the root. I began calling Truth on the two-way and when he got there, he couldn’t believe his eye’s. I tried taking pics of it while under the root, but I think my gloves messed me up and I missed the shot.

We gently recovered it, still not knowing exactly what it was and once out of the ground, Truth said “Congrats Possum, You’re the proud owner of a “Franklin Half Dollar”, being a relic hunter, I had no Idea what a “Franklin Half Dollar” was, but I do know!!!

After finding the “Franklin Half” my luck ran out and it was back to clad pennies, dimes and a Quarter… Oh, I did pull out a nice “square nail and a square spike”, which I included in the pics below, just for the heck of it.

The only thing pictured that I didn’t find today was the piece of black coal looking stuff with metal slivers inside that drove me, my CTX and my pin pointer crazy the other day trying to isolate it in that black clay around the parapet of the fort. I’m not sure what it is, maybe it’s what some call “Coke”, please correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s very light, about 1 1/2” x 3/8” x 1/4”.

Hope y’all enjoy the pics, thanks for looking, take care, HH and may God Bless!!! “D”

20181204_202019.jpg 20181204_202003.jpg

20181204_132227.jpg 20181204_132234.jpg

20181204_201807.jpg 20181204_201702.jpg

20181204_202351.jpg 20181204_202332.jpg

20181204_200926.jpg

20181204_201857.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 37

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s was a great day that pic you missed was beautiful in layers you saw that beautiful brown oak root which the rick black soil and the a beautiful shinny silver raided edge streak running through the the middle big enough to see its not a quarter. I go over there an looked it was beautiful his hands where shaking so I extracted it out immediately feeling the weight of a half. I looked and said, “Here’s you Benjamin Half” he asked what year and I mistakenly said 1848 meaning 1948 and he starts freaking saying,” omg a 1849 Benjamin!!!” Correcting it and confusingly looking at him like he nuts, not knowing he really doesn’t know NOTHING about coins I mean nothing. This country boy’s been in the relic woods to long. But the boy knows his relics. I can tell you when he does though he goes big 2 Halves for Possum 1 Walking, 1 Benjamin and 2 Washington Quarters in the last 3 trips. Congratulations “The King of all Halves!!!”

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing cooler than digging a large silver, Congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome find Possum! Sounds like that was your first Franklin- got my first not even 2 months ago after 27 years of trying. You did a fantastic job recovering that beauty- out of roots and not a mark on it- Great work!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Possum. After 30 years of detecting, I'm still looking to dig my first Franklin Half.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,that is a very good condition first year of the Franklin half. Congrats on that big silver find.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it was going to be a crushed beer can or silver half, glad you got your first Franklin! Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the large silver. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on an awesome find Possum! Sounds like that was your first Franklin- got my first not even 2 months ago after 27 years of trying. You did a fantastic job recovering that beauty- out of roots and not a mark on it- Great work!

I've never been much of a coin shooter, except when I needed battery money, I'm mostly interested in Relics, but I was excited to get another Half dollar. Thank God it was under that root because I was banging away at the smaller root with my shovel to access the hole better. I'm glad I brushed that small amount of dirt off of it with my pin pointer exposing the edge of it, otherwise with my luck it would've been scratched to all heck and back. I don't have a Barber so that's next on my bucket list, but that's just a wish, my luck can't last much longer… Lol I'll keep hitting that old fort with Truth as long as possible or at least until I find some more places to relic hunt after hunting season, but to be honest, I'm starting to get addicted to these silver finds!!! Lol "D"

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver save Possum. That’s a great looking coin. Still has lots of detail. Congrats!

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey,that is a very good condition first year of the Franklin half. Congrats on that big silver find.

Thrifty,

Just goes to show you how much I know about coins, first off I haven't ever seen a Franklin half and secondly I had no Idea 1948 was the first year they were minted... I've been in these woods to long, this city hunting has me all discombobulated!!! LMBO

"D"

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone have any Idea what the charcoal looking or lead things are? "D"

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Ha! You cracked me up Possum. Well, if you didn’t know what a lot of these old coins are you sure are becoming acquainted with them quickly by popping one out of the ground after another. Well done!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First things first...congrats on the great half. There are rewards in life for persistence. You found one!

About your holed lead...Folks in Florida used to do that with scrap camp lead for weights for fishing as well as for nets and sashes. Homemade, and very functional.
Don't know if that is yours, but I have seen some similar in the area of FW/SW fishing holes.

Nicely done.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There Possum and congratulations on your finds including the Franklin Half! Good choice of the background for the Franklin Half, high contrast. I'm also glad that paruna added his comment about the lead object as I had been wondering about its use.

The size of the round holed lead object 'seems' too large to be a hem weight for either a dress or a window curtain. By calling it large I'm refering to the large hole size and how thick it is so it would have been used for a purpose that required a larger hole and a greater amount of weight. I was thinking it had a more work related use though what I had no idea but paruna has come up with some possibilities.

Thank you for sharing your adventure, don't ya just love large branches where folks could climb and swing on! For me, the old trees anywhere just shout at me "Look Here"...…………….63bkpkr

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Possum Im glad you joined this site you two have some of the bests posts on here I love reading themKids and stuff have kept me away from hunting for a little bit Thanks this helps. I love that Ben those for some reason are hard to find its a nice big silver kinda like finding ten mercs weight wise anyway. That fort sounds like a honey hole for you guys I hooe you get that gold coin. Keep rippin guys. Tommy

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Big Silver!! You don't see many of the Big Ben's found on this forum so well done!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a spindle whorl?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice half! They don't come out near often enough, grats to ya and thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread