Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Detecting a nice old house site: coins, pewter, bottles, and some great culture!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    16364 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great story, killer finds; thank you for sharing!
    NJKLAGT and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    5478 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    What a nice collection from that site. Love the Merchant bottle, it's just beautiful.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 18
    Half Reals = 29
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1423 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thank you all! This was one of my most memorable hunts so far. It changed my perspective entirely. When you dig it all, you get a way better idea about what life was like at the site. Life ain't just coins and buttons!

Did anyone get a chance to look at the two piece button? 13 stars, cannon, water, and a compass or sextant maybe? Maybe something navy related?

Thanks again everyone! I checked eBay out of curiosity and a similar bottle sold for $255 USD less than a month ago. Although I'm not in it for that reason, it made me feel like I made the big leagues, haha!

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    1613 times
    Relic Hunting
    Well Done on a nice assortment of finds.

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1423 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here's another piece from the group shot that I forgot to get a closeup of originally, maybe you can help identify it. It undoubtedly says "PRESIDENT" (I flipped it over because this side reads/photographs better). I was thinking that it's part of a makeup compact or something. But maybe, just maybe, this was dropped by ol' George himself? Haha, one must dream!

EDIT: and a pic of the pewter/silver bird ring thing, no idea what this is. Thanks for your help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7571.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	1658474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7581.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	1658481
    Last edited by NJKLAGT; Dec 07, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
    gold boy and Hawks88 like this.

jacdec1968

Feb 2014
    Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction, Az in the winter
    Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer, Lesch digger
    3244 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I see a nice bunch of old finds. That U.S. large cent is in good shape and those bottles are really nice finds.

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1423 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    And thanks to Country Dirt Kid and CRUSADER for the ID of the sickle mower teeth, that's definitely what they are. Thank you!

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    1309 times
    Congrats NJ, Super trove there! Re: the spike shaped items, CRUSADER's right, they're sickle bar blade guides. Not from an agricultural sized implement but from a walk behind mower like a Gravely tractor.

I have to step back here and look at the big picture on this because the type and period diversity of these finds are like layers and layers of primo artifacts. It's like the guy at Sutter's Mill saying "what's this shinny stuff?" You should be very careful to document where and at what depths you find the subsequent artifacts! You may be looking at a trash pit or a natural depression that was selected as a repository for numerous deposits over some time.

I can't give you guidance on how to calm down or get a good night's sleep but would advise you to listen to some nice calming music for a while. LOL

Great work and best wishes in good health, Merry Christmas from a gnarled old Christian!
    Hawks88, NJKLAGT and sprailroad like this.
    Phil

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1423 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reanm8er View Post
    Congrats NJ, Super trove there! Re: the spike shaped items, CRUSADER's right, they're sickle bar blade guides. Not from an agricultural sized implement but from a walk behind mower like a Gravely tractor.

I have to step back here and look at the big picture on this because the type and period diversity of these finds are like layers and layers of primo artifacts. It's like the guy at Sutter's Mill saying "what's this shinny stuff?" You should be very careful to document where and at what depths you find the subsequent artifacts! You may be looking at a trash pit or a natural depression that was selected as a repository for numerous deposits over some time.

I can't give you guidance on how to calm down or get a good night's sleep but would advise you to listen to some nice calming music for a while. LOL

Great work and best wishes in good health, Merry Christmas from a gnarled old Christian!
    I don't usually say this, but right now I feel like saying it: God bless you. Thank you.
    Reanm8er and sprailroad like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    13929 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That's a honey hole. cant ask for much more than that accept for a gold coin or two lol. Thanks for sharing those are some nice relics you have saved
    NJKLAGT and dirtdigginfool like this.
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Aug 2008
    Ace 350
    308 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Great finds - thanks for posting. Finding artifacts like that is what I enjoy the most though I can't wait till I find my first gold coin!

Jim
    NJKLAGT likes this.

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    2678 times
    Awesome finds! I really like that green bottle! Congrats!
    NJKLAGT likes this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1423 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks again! Yeah, this site wasn't particularly hot for coins and buttons (well, I still thought it was!), but I bet there are some more there, haven't tried the fields yet. I'll see if I can find you guys some gold, haha. But I'm a bottle digger first, so I'm already more than satisfied with the glass I found, super grateful. If nothing more came out of this site, I wouldn't be upset in the least. The thing is, you KNOW it's there. It's there somewhere, just gotta find it.

And thanks to Reanm8er for suggesting recording the depths of the artifacts, etc. This place has been moved around quite a bit, the archaeology has definitely been compromised, but it's still a great idea. And, carrying a little notepad and ruler around and taking notes sounds like a lot of fun! It seems like the right thing to do, more professional. This dig has changed the way I think about this hobby, that's for sure.

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    2263 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice finds and great post.
    NJKLAGT likes this.
    To Dig or not to Dig

ca
    Oct 2014
    Southern Ontario
    Garrett Euro Ace 350
    1423 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Carolina Tom has positively identified the "PRESIDENT" piece, it's a fragment of a suspender clip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	president.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	1658861

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links