Greenie
Aug 9, 2018
Limestone, ME
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings,

According to historical documentation, the French Army wintered in Lebanon, CT, during the months between 1780 and 1781, on its way to New York (the Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route). Among those French troops included officers Rochambeau and Duc de Lauzun. The army camped in, and around, the town's large green and adjacent areas. Lebanon, CT, is also the home of the War Office where over 1,000 meetings took place to discuss strategies relative to the ongoing war (Google the War Office, Lebanon, for the who's who list of those who attended meetings).

Anyhow, on one of my permissions adjacent to the green I uncovered this important relic. This is a bronze? flintlock pistol butt cap that would have, more than likely, been carried by an officer from a foreign army. As a flintlock collector I am under the impression that such an ornate, decorative piece such as this grotesque would have been extremely rare to produce in, or for, the Colonies/Colonists, at the time.

Also pictured is my flintlock pistol manufactured in Liege in about 1760. Its butt cap is bronze. Also note the screw above the grotesque face. This screw would run through the butt/cap tang to aid in securing the butt/cap to the wood handle of the pistol. Although the tang of my found cap is mostly intact, the extreme end where a holed end would have been has been broken off.

I am excited to have found, what I believe, further evidence of the French Army's presence in Lebanon, CT. To think that this butt cap my have been the personal property of army officers with the likes of Rochambeau or Lauzun....I am just grateful to be a part in the preservation of history.

-M

Attachments

• Butt cap 3.JPG
    Butt cap 3.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Butt cap 2.JPG
    Butt cap 2.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Butt cap 1.JPG
    Butt cap 1.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 19

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful and historic find-
Banner find

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding historical find...BIG time Congratulations! :notworthy:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice. Most people don't know the French army came into New England and marched all the way to Yorktown, VA and back during the war. Most of their camps are long gone, but not all of them.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hands down Banner great story nice Museum piece
I wish there was history like that here Id be the one detecting in the snow all winter lol Well done

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also from Mi Tommy

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Just WOW! Fantastic find!

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Metallorgy! Primo find right out of the gate, Eh!

From my unschooled mind I'd attribute the image to be more Anglo/Roman. Ornate butt plates and pistol furniture, like this, often appeared on sets of dueling pistols. They employed longer barrels, were finely made and had a longer barrel that would have been superior to anything mil issue. If you killed a loyalist officer or pilfered his home you might carry both pistols or toss one to your comrade. If you clubbed some guy in the head perhaps the butt might come off, especially if the stock split. No sense in throwing away the pistol just gather the stock together somehow and rage on. The frontiersmen knew how to mend split wooden objects using muscle sinew from the whitetail deer. Really sticky shrinks when dries and hard as a rock as long as you keep it oiled and dry.

Banner as well!

Best wishes and hunt on!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that’s a really sweet historic find.

Congrats sir.

OP
OP
MetallörgY

MetallörgY

Greenie
Aug 9, 2018
Limestone, ME
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, if you want to call 15 years, out of the gate!

I have to agree, Phil, the cap could very well have been part of a dueling pistol - if I only knew....
I thank you for your insight and wishes.

-M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions