🥇 BANNER Epic Holey Seated Coin Cache Dug

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I haven't been getting to hunt as much as I'd like to this year as my wife and I had a baby girl in May. She's a doll, but those of you with kids know the drill :tongue3:

Anyhow, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this month and I told her I wanted to go detecting for a few days at one of our old haunts, and to my amazement she said OK :headbang:

I was planning to go with TomCA, but he wasn't able to make it and I ended up going solo. This is a remote Spanish outpost site that we researched years ago. Tom's less crazy about it then I am, but I like the history around it and it's continued to produce interesting finds. It's a relaxing, beautiful place to detect, that just invokes early western frontier history, and almost every relic or coin you dig is dripping with age and history (for our neck of the woods that is).

Anyhow, I had planned to use my Multi Kruzer with a new 7" concentric coil to work in the iron, but due to a headphone issue, I had to switch over to my Equinox 800. Boy am I glad I did, I made one of my best finds to date! A seated coin cache that I will never forget digging, and not just a seated coin cache, but a coin cache/spill with a hole mystery :icon_scratch: Was it Indian trade jewelry?

Here's they are in all their glory:

45366828145_f5e5dbc3f1_o.jpg

I dug several nice relics, and was able to capture the coin cache dug live:

HH,
Cal

Upvote 123

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool cache of Seated coins! Looks like the holes were made with different nails/tools. Different sizes and shapes. I definitely can picture a pioneer era dude with these secured to his britches. That looks like a Banner handful to me.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is simply amazing! I would probably faint if I found that! Way to follow through on your research and congrats on your finds! (And on the addition to your family!!!)

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I haven't looked at the video yet , are there different denominations there ? Are they all dimes ?

Thanks!

Their seated dimes and half-dimes:

Seated half-dimes:

1858 O

Seated dimes:

1875 CC

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A friend shared these photos from a small Native American museum in Davis, Oklahoma:

dresswithbarber) s.jpg

dresswithbarber) s-closeup.jpg

Given the context of the site, they may have been used for some type of Indian decoration. I don't think they were just holed and put on a string, especially give some of them are holed twice like a button.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
probably intended for something special....like you finding them! very awesome find, a Banner Find indeed!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vote in, a dream find for most of us

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Congratulations on your new baby girl and having a very supportive wife . This has got to be the most exciting live hunt video I have ever seen ! Great story , great photos and video . Yes , I would agree this latest adventure of yours is Fricking incredible ! I voted Banner . I know on your return trips there you are still going to be finding stuff . That evidence of fire really gets my imagination going . Did a Tepee burn down ? I also thought possibly a cremation but you didn't find any bone fragments . Something incredible happened here just what will most likely remain a mystery . Excellent hunting , narration , video and photos .I will be looking forward to your future posts .

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and unusual find. I only checked the 1858-O and the 1875-CC, but I assume none of the others were rare dates? I'm voting Banner on quantity plain weirdness :laughing7:

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holey , I get it ... :laughing9: Great stuff out in the Wild , Wild West , luv it

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Now that is just too cool!!! Nice!! :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Great show & tell ! I'm the "Tom-CA" alluded to by Cal-Cobra Brian :)

Ok Brian : Not so fast. You can't count those as "multiple seateds in a single day". Since they were all holed, hence of the same origin, we shall only count those as a single find. Never mind that some of them were a few feet apart: It only counts as a single find. So neener neener !!

Haha, seriously now: That was fun getting on-the-spot text narration from you, during the episode a few days ago. Thanx !

Another detector that's been over that ground, in addition to those you mentioned, is the Tesoro Silver Sabre. My coins from the site (with Explorer II), as I recall, is a seated quarter, seated dime, IH, and a quarter reale, and misc mid-1800's curiosities. Yet for some reason, as you mentioned, it's not been high on my "like" list of sites. Lots of soldered can junk. Ugghhh. But for you, it's never ceased to come up with surprises. You've meshed with this site, for sure.

Ordinarily, a find dated to the 1880s in CA, would be well-past "Indian" stuff explanations. But as you've alluded to in your video (so I guess it's ok to repeat): This was one of those zones in CA where .... how shall we call it ... it was like reservations. Or ... areas where they gathered just prior to reservations. Such zones exist all over CA, so that wouldn't be revealing (as for location hints) to explain . And yes: Some of their adornments habits (beads, etc...) were a continuation of their pre-contact era habits.

I loved how there was the on-the-spot in-situ narration revelation evolving at 4:00 -ish . Where .... the ID of the first one comes-to-light . right as the viewer watches/listens. That was as good as an in-situ live dig :) The excitement is catching !

And I liked how you interspersed the entire video with normal obligatory finds . Eg.: shotgun butts, iron that fooled you, trinkets, etc... So that it's not like a bass-fishing channel where "every cast is a lunker". And I liked how you let the viewer listen to the sounds on a few (even some before you broke open the hole). That just adds to the feeling of actually being there, assessing each potential, etc... Good job ! And I liked it at 22:00 where you say "Come to papa". That's exactly the feeling a person gets, when he's on a roll like that, gets a similar signal, etc....

As far as the ability of the Nox 800 to have allowed this from our worked out site: I am looking forward to some flagged signal tests in the future. I have no doubt it will spank my Explorer II in iron-ridden sites. But would be interesting to see how it compares to the Silver Sabre. Although the Sabre is wimpy on depth, it's good at iron-averaging-see-through. Looking forward to some hunts where we can trade off flagged signals. Even against your own arsenal (although I know that would become tedious and time-consuming). Like ... to see how it compares to the Racer and Kruzer in ghost-townsy conditions such as those.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
As far as banner: Even though this isn't one of those banner votes for numismatic value, or holy-grail gold coins, it DOES qualify under the category of: "Cool". Ie.: history, curiosity, etc... And with the video (well done, "bringing the viewer along for the actual digs"), is another banner qualifier. Plus your long-time participation in forums (as opposed to drive-by one-time poster, lone-rangers) all makes it a banner vote for me too.

Of course, I'm biased, since this is a site I've been to, and a hunter I know :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PS: Congratz on the new baby girl. Got to meet her . She's a cutey. And already has a personality: Hamming it up for any guests that come along her way. Within 5 yrs., you'll have her out detecting with us, right ? haha

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner in my book holes included makes em more special Congrats on the new Family member Well done zyour gonna need all those silver coins and gold I raised 2 girls not cheap lol but alot of great times

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had time to watch a 33 minute video. So it sounds like seated coins all holed. Very cool.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible finds. Banner all the way to the top. Congrats on the finds and congratulations on your new member of the family.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats.

That’s an outstanding find. Just jaw dropping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions