๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Epic Holey Seated Coin Cache Dug

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I haven't been getting to hunt as much as I'd like to this year as my wife and I had a baby girl in May. She's a doll, but those of you with kids know the drill :tongue3:

Anyhow, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this month and I told her I wanted to go detecting for a few days at one of our old haunts, and to my amazement she said OK :headbang:

I was planning to go with TomCA, but he wasn't able to make it and I ended up going solo. This is a remote Spanish outpost site that we researched years ago. Tom's less crazy about it then I am, but I like the history around it and it's continued to produce interesting finds. It's a relaxing, beautiful place to detect, that just invokes early western frontier history, and almost every relic or coin you dig is dripping with age and history (for our neck of the woods that is).

Anyhow, I had planned to use my Multi Kruzer with a new 7" concentric coil to work in the iron, but due to a headphone issue, I had to switch over to my Equinox 800. Boy am I glad I did, I made one of my best finds to date! A seated coin cache that I will never forget digging, and not just a seated coin cache, but a coin cache/spill with a hole mystery :icon_scratch: Was it Indian trade jewelry?

Here's they are in all their glory:

45366828145_f5e5dbc3f1_o.jpg

I dug several nice relics, and was able to capture the coin cache dug live:

HH,
Cal

Upvote 123

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy dime drops Batman! My most sincere congratulations.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for the warm birthday wishes, baby wishes, and great discussion on the seated dime cache.

It really gets your imagination going wondering what they were used for! It may not have been clear in my video, but there was a main area that was about 12 feet in diameter where the bulk of the coins came from, but as I fanned out there were about five that were 10-15 feet away from ground zero spread out in various directions. All holed, so definitely they originated together, but how they ended up there is a complete mystery. What burned down? Maybe it was an Indian teepee or old adobe, who knows? There's definitely a story there, I'm so glad to have brought them back to life (hello world!) I only wish I could share more of their story, I bet it's an interesting one.

I love digging western frontier history, it amazing to connect with our past, gives one an appreciation of the challenges our ancestors faced :thumbsup:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the warm birthday wishes, baby wishes, and great discussion on the seated dime cache.

It really gets your imagination going wondering what they were used for! It may not have been clear in my video, but there was a main area that was about 12 feet in diameter where the bulk of the coins came from, but as I fanned out there were about five that were 10-15 feet away from ground zero spread out in various directions. All holed, so definitely they originated together, but how they ended up there is a complete mystery. What burned down? Maybe it was an Indian teepee or old adobe, who knows? There's definitely a story there, I'm so glad to have brought them back to life (hello world!) I only wish I could share more of their story, I bet it's an interesting one.

I love digging western frontier history, it amazing to connect with our past, gives one an appreciation of the challenges our ancestors faced :thumbsup:

Thats a sweet find and one you will remember forever.

My guess is native american necklace. My father has dug quite a few seated and barbers that native americans holed and wore as jewelry. They didnt look at it as money. His werent holed in the middle but not every native american thinks the same. He swears his are cursed but hes naturally pessimistic. I think you did a great job saving frontier history there. Congrats all around.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Congrats on your great hunt. The iron thing might be a device you put into a fireplace to hang pots, etc. from. The eight pointed leaf looking thing just screams insignia but I can't find a matching image. Was the cuff link blessed with a stone or glass. Thanks for the video. Good luck.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a crazy pile of coins, congrats!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! But Seriously :o

What about the Rest of The relics ?

I would have Liked to see everything once they were cleaned :(

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Banner you got. I congratulate you. Now you can make something cool out of all those holed seated coins.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, congratulations to you and your wife on your new baby girl! :occasion14:
Second, congrats on achieving your 4th BANNER on Tnet!

I find it interesting that some are round holes and some are square holes.
Also, with the amount of visible wear on the coins, you would think these would've been strung together/lost in the late 19thc.

Great find and an even better mystery,
Dave

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The square holes are from using a nail to punch the hole.Take a look at a modern nail,the point is square.

Joshbiz

May 2, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Baby and the coins. the only hordes I find like that are pennies...

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thats a sweet find and one you will remember forever.

My guess is native american necklace. My father has dug quite a few seated and barbers that native americans holed and wore as jewelry. They didnt look at it as money. His werent holed in the middle but not every native american thinks the same. He swears his are cursed but hes naturally pessimistic. I think you did a great job saving frontier history there. Congrats all around.

Thanks, and I agree, these were holed for some kind of Indian jewelry. We've found Indian trinkets/trade items at this site before, I can't really see any other purpose.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Congrats on your great hunt. The iron thing might be a device you put into a fireplace to hang pots, etc. from. The eight pointed leaf looking thing just screams insignia but I can't find a matching image. Was the cuff link blessed with a stone or glass. Thanks for the video. Good luck.

The cuff link is probably glass, but you never know (although I'd expect it would've been gold or silver if the stone was real?). Yeah that star is pretty cool, definitely could see that being an Indian dangler kind of thing. That iron hook with the pointed end I was thinking was a to hang pots in a fireplace, any idea what the other hook type thing was?

I'll work on getting the finds cleaned up this weekend and post some photo updates.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nice ! But Seriously :o

What about the Rest of The relics ?

I would have Liked to see everything once they were cleaned :(

Jeff I'll try to post photos of everything I found after I get everything cleaned up this weekend :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A Banner you got. I congratulate you. Now you can make something cool out of all those holed seated coins.

Thanks! I haven't even considered how to display them yet, hmm...

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
First off, congratulations to you and your wife on your new baby girl! :occasion14:
Second, congrats on achieving your 4th BANNER on Tnet!

I find it interesting that some are round holes and some are square holes.
Also, with the amount of visible wear on the coins, you would think these would've been strung together/lost in the late 19thc.

Great find and an even better mystery,
Dave

Thanks Dave!

I guess some things in life are meant to remain a mystery, but at least the coins came back to life :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for checking out my finds and if you watched the video, I hope you enjoyed it, I sure enjoyed making it.

And thanks for the banner votes, this turned out to be an incredible detecting trip :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread