🥇 BANNER Epic Holey Seated Coin Cache Dug

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I haven't been getting to hunt as much as I'd like to this year as my wife and I had a baby girl in May. She's a doll, but those of you with kids know the drill :tongue3:

Anyhow, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this month and I told her I wanted to go detecting for a few days at one of our old haunts, and to my amazement she said OK :headbang:

I was planning to go with TomCA, but he wasn't able to make it and I ended up going solo. This is a remote Spanish outpost site that we researched years ago. Tom's less crazy about it then I am, but I like the history around it and it's continued to produce interesting finds. It's a relaxing, beautiful place to detect, that just invokes early western frontier history, and almost every relic or coin you dig is dripping with age and history (for our neck of the woods that is).

Anyhow, I had planned to use my Multi Kruzer with a new 7" concentric coil to work in the iron, but due to a headphone issue, I had to switch over to my Equinox 800. Boy am I glad I did, I made one of my best finds to date! A seated coin cache that I will never forget digging, and not just a seated coin cache, but a coin cache/spill with a hole mystery :icon_scratch: Was it Indian trade jewelry?

Here's they are in all their glory:

45366828145_f5e5dbc3f1_o.jpg

I dug several nice relics, and was able to capture the coin cache dug live:

HH,
Cal

Upvote 123
OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Don't forget that pockets were really not in use then. S0 holes were made in the coins to carry on a string or piece of leather. When needed the string (necklace) was removed and a coin taken off.

True, and that's always a possibility.

I saw your video when you put it up about a week ago, I was amazed! Congrats, def. A banner find!

Thanks for taking a look, I cannot wait to get back to that site and hopefully my other detector works this time out - lol

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone strung up their coins so they wouldn't lose them, but then the string broke loose and they lost them all. String disintegrated over time and the hoard of holy coins remained! Or maybe the coins were buttons on a homemade shirt and the shirt got lost and disintegrated leaving the 'coin buttons' behind! Very cool!
I read in this book witten by this William Drannan about his accounts of being a trapper, Indian fighter, trail guide etc in the mid 19th century. In one chapter he described how they would trade silver coins with the tribes on the plains for buffalo hides in exchange for silver coins. He said the bidding would start with one hide for a few coins and then the natives would start upping the ante with two hides for the same amount of silver coins and the bidding then went even higher and then the natives would be offering five hides for even less coins. Dannan went on to say the Native Americans would then punch holes in the silver coins and string them up and wear them in their hair or clothing and some had long strings of silver coins hanging from their hair. That story made me think there could be silver coins with holes laying around out there to discover in the same places you'd look for NA artifacts. https://manybooks.net/titles/drannanwetext04toypi10.html

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get on the forum much anymore but I must give a shout out as that is one hell of a dig! Big congrats!

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, UNBELIEVABlE! I live for a dig like that, congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread