A ..."WTH?" kinda day.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if I should bother with a long detailed story so I'll try to keep it short.
After getting my two little ones on the school bus and having to take my oldest oldest to get a cast for a broken ankle I headed out without a plan and just felt the need to stop at a place I had had some luck at back when I first started detecting.

Without giving away too many details... I started out on what is now a minimally maintained trail head and started finding the expected clad pennies and stinkers and beaver tail tabs. The first section I hit was a short dead end to locked gate, nothing good. So I started back the other way and this is where things got strange.

About 10 feet in I hit a high tone on the edge of the trail and weeds that turned out to be a deep soda can. Like a good little digger I rechecked the hole by giving it another quick swing and beep beep, better check again. Holy crap It's big and it says Half Penny. Crap it says 1967... Check the hole again, another tone, just slightly lower.New Penny 1967. Sweet 2 foreign coins, good start.
20181211_102250.jpg 20181211_102751.jpg
Then a few inches away another weak but clear tone.
20181211_103210.jpg
Then a few inches away... another.
20181211_103450.jpg
Then one after another, I had found a buried treasure of sorts, but it was all foreign coins, from all over the planet, all between the 1920'-1970's, and not a one of them was silver.
20181211_104254.jpg
20181211_112853.jpg 20181211_122207.jpg
After a few hours I had wore myself out and was ready for lunch. I know I didn't get it all but my back couldn't take any more, because I had just dug 71 foreign coins from 250 soft (+/-) area along a chain link fence.
20181211_132337.jpg 20181211_184143.jpg

After lunch I went out to where I grew up right at 3 miles away to change gears and look for Native American artifacts that might be on the surface along a spring/creek. Aside from one worked and broken piece, again I didn't really find what I expected or but I didn't walk away empty handed either.

The first is a smooth brown rock that is just way out of place, and Isn't "worked" but appears to be shaped like an axe. This isn't just a rock, it's not even from this area. The tougher dry looking side war facing up in the creek and had a thin film of algea, the other side is just as dry by shows its polish.
20181211_191522.jpg 20181211_191448.jpg

After that I grabbed my detector and made one quick pass up the backs for kicks to kill time waiting on my brother to get home and found my silver, in the form of a broken tea infuser spoon.
20181211_192509.jpg

What an unusual day.

Last edited:
Upvote 27

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The smooth kinda half rounded one almost looks like a hoof. Another thought was something had filled a cavity and fossilized. Interesting day indeed! Good luck figuring out what they may be. The coins? Well....No silver but had to be a helluva lot of fun digging those!
Congratz

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very strange day for you! But you still found some awesome stuff! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's crazy and that I forgot to mention is that when we were just kids, my brother found a cache of similar coins halfway burried in a metal box while squirrel hunting just up the hill and within eye shot of where I found the rocks.
So that's two big caches of foreign coins found in very different ways but only about 3 miles apart.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that was fun!!! :thumbsup:

You know it was. It may not have been ultra valuable as in gold and silver but it was a true burried treasure of sorts and the kind of ground saturation anyone would enjoy.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Hunt - Congratulations!!!:hello2:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell ya that sounds like an awesome day Did the oldest do something wrong and decide to seed the place to get you in a good mood before he drops the bomb lol just kiddin I would research that area and see if you could find some clues to how those got there Great post

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quite a collections of coins, congratulation! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still working on Identifying them all but so far I'm up to 27 different countries.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
What's crazy and that I forgot to mention is that when we were just kids, my brother found a cache of similar coins halfway burried in a metal box while squirrel hunting just up the hill and within eye shot of where I found the rocks.
So that's two big caches of foreign coins found in very different ways but only about 3 miles apart.

I've never found any kinda cache but it seems to be the general consensus is that one cache means there is another. Now with this additional statement you've given us the indication that there were at least two caches within sight of your peculiar rocks. Could it be that the rocks were a sight anchor for whomever buried those....and perhaps others? That's a long winded way of saying go pound that site for more treasure!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found any kinda cache but it seems to be the general consensus is that one cache means there is another. Now with this additional statement you've given us the indication that there were at least two caches within sight of your peculiar rocks. Could it be that the rocks were a sight anchor for whomever buried those....and perhaps others? That's a long winded way of saying go pound that site for more treasure!

No no. I should probably be more clear. The actual cache (box) of foreign coins my brother found was close to where we grew up, he lives, and we still hunt for artifacts. The coins I just found were 3 miles away and scattered like they someone had thrown them 40+ years ago. And I am certain there are more still there which is why I don't wish to mention the history or current details of the location. I know for a fact others have detected there and probably even found a few before me.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
No no. I should probably be more clear. The actual cache (box) of foreign coins my brother found was close to where we grew up, he lives, and we still hunt for artifacts. The coins I just found were 3 miles away and scattered like they someone had thrown them 40+ years ago. And I am certain there are more still there which is why I don't wish to mention the history or current details of the location. I know for a fact others have detected there and probably even found a few before me.

Ah well....thanks for clarifying. Still, sounds like a great site to continue to explore!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep this seems to meet all the requirements of "WTH", but I bet is was fun, congrats:icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting hunt to say the least. I'd be back out there looking for the 'Gold' spill...Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread