A ..."WTH?" kinda day.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: A ..."WTH?" kinda day.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    5315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A ..."WTH?" kinda day.

I'm not sure if I should bother with a long detailed story so I'll try to keep it short.
    After getting my two little ones on the school bus and having to take my oldest oldest to get a cast for a broken ankle I headed out without a plan and just felt the need to stop at a place I had had some luck at back when I first started detecting.

Without giving away too many details... I started out on what is now a minimally maintained trail head and started finding the expected clad pennies and stinkers and beaver tail tabs. The first section I hit was a short dead end to locked gate, nothing good. So I started back the other way and this is where things got strange.

About 10 feet in I hit a high tone on the edge of the trail and weeds that turned out to be a deep soda can. Like a good little digger I rechecked the hole by giving it another quick swing and beep beep, better check again. Holy crap It's big and it says Half Penny. Crap it says 1967... Check the hole again, another tone, just slightly lower.New Penny 1967. Sweet 2 foreign coins, good start.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181211_102250.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	1659900 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181211_102751.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	1659901
    Then a few inches away another weak but clear tone.

Name:	20181211_103210.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	1659902
    Then a few inches away... another.

Name:	20181211_103450.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	1659905
    Then one after another, I had found a buried treasure of sorts, but it was all foreign coins, from all over the planet, all between the 1920'-1970's, and not a one of them was silver.

Name:	20181211_104254.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	1659908

Name:	20181211_112853.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	1659909 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181211_122207.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	1659910
    After a few hours I had wore myself out and was ready for lunch. I know I didn't get it all but my back couldn't take any more, because I had just dug 71 foreign coins from 250 soft (+/-) area along a chain link fence.

Name:	20181211_132337.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	1659912 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181211_184143.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	1659913

After lunch I went out to where I grew up right at 3 miles away to change gears and look for Native American artifacts that might be on the surface along a spring/creek. Aside from one worked and broken piece, again I didn't really find what I expected or but I didn't walk away empty handed either.

The first is a smooth brown rock that is just way out of place, and Isn't "worked" but appears to be shaped like an axe. This isn't just a rock, it's not even from this area. The tougher dry looking side war facing up in the creek and had a thin film of algea, the other side is just as dry by shows its polish.

Name:	20181211_191522.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	1659915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181211_191448.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	1659916

After that I grabbed my detector and made one quick pass up the backs for kicks to kill time waiting on my brother to get home and found my silver, in the form of a broken tea infuser spoon.

Name:	20181211_192509.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	1659926

What an unusual day.
    Last edited by Icewing; Dec 12, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

Dec 2014
    Far North Corner of CA
    AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
    1214 times
    I'm learning
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    The smooth kinda half rounded one almost looks like a hoof. Another thought was something had filled a cavity and fossilized. Interesting day indeed! Good luck figuring out what they may be. The coins? Well....No silver but had to be a helluva lot of fun digging those!
    Congratz
    Icewing, Reanm8er and A2coins like this.
    An Ode
    To William Jefferson Clinton

He smoked but didn't inhale
    Poked, but didn't impale
    Made aware of the dress
    He was forced to confess
    A snail can't deny his own trail

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    5325 times
    Very strange day for you! But you still found some awesome stuff! Congrats!
    Icewing and A2coins like this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    5315 times
    What's crazy and that I forgot to mention is that when we were just kids, my brother found a cache of similar coins halfway burried in a metal box while squirrel hunting just up the hill and within eye shot of where I found the rocks.
    So that's two big caches of foreign coins found in very different ways but only about 3 miles apart.
    Last edited by Icewing; Dec 12, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    Lookit Tha Size O' Those Hog-Mollies!!!

Jan 2009
    SW MO
    Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
    4595 times
    I bet that was fun!!!
    Icewing, A2coins and Ozark Redneck like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    5315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lairmo View Post
    I bet that was fun!!!
    You know it was. It may not have been ultra valuable as in gold and silver but it was a true burried treasure of sorts and the kind of ground saturation anyone would enjoy.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23032 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Super Hunt - Congratulations!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30824 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Ill tell ya that sounds like an awesome day Did the oldest do something wrong and decide to seed the place to get you in a good mood before he drops the bomb lol just kiddin I would research that area and see if you could find some clues to how those got there Great post

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    27946 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quite a collections of coins, congratulation!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    5315 times
    Still working on Identifying them all but so far I'm up to 27 different countries.
    BLK HOLE likes this.

Dec 2014
    Far North Corner of CA
    1214 times
    I'm learning
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    What's crazy and that I forgot to mention is that when we were just kids, my brother found a cache of similar coins halfway burried in a metal box while squirrel hunting just up the hill and within eye shot of where I found the rocks.
    So that's two big caches of foreign coins found in very different ways but only about 3 miles apart.
    I've never found any kinda cache but it seems to be the general consensus is that one cache means there is another. Now with this additional statement you've given us the indication that there were at least two caches within sight of your peculiar rocks. Could it be that the rocks were a sight anchor for whomever buried those....and perhaps others? That's a long winded way of saying go pound that site for more treasure!
    Icewing and A2coins like this.
    An Ode

Poked, but didn't impale
    Made aware of the dress
    He was forced to confess

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    5315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greastart View Post
    I've never found any kinda cache but it seems to be the general consensus is that one cache means there is another. Now with this additional statement you've given us the indication that there were at least two caches within sight of your peculiar rocks. Could it be that the rocks were a sight anchor for whomever buried those....and perhaps others? That's a long winded way of saying go pound that site for more treasure!
    No no. I should probably be more clear. The actual cache (box) of foreign coins my brother found was close to where we grew up, he lives, and we still hunt for artifacts. The coins I just found were 3 miles away and scattered like they someone had thrown them 40+ years ago. And I am certain there are more still there which is why I don't wish to mention the history or current details of the location. I know for a fact others have detected there and probably even found a few before me.
    Greastart and A2coins like this.

Dec 2014
    Far North Corner of CA
    1214 times
    I'm learning
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    No no. I should probably be more clear. The actual cache (box) of foreign coins my brother found was close to where we grew up, he lives, and we still hunt for artifacts. The coins I just found were 3 miles away and scattered like they someone had thrown them 40+ years ago. And I am certain there are more still there which is why I don't wish to mention the history or current details of the location. I know for a fact others have detected there and probably even found a few before me.
    Ah well....thanks for clarifying. Still, sounds like a great site to continue to explore!
    A2coins likes this.
    An Ode

Poked, but didn't impale
    Made aware of the dress
    He was forced to confess

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    4911 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yep this seems to meet all the requirements of "WTH", but I bet is was fun, congrats
    A2coins and RVRoamer66 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links