Atocha estate sale find- words of wisdom??

JuannyChico

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a good deal for an Atocha coin but the sale came with no paperwork. I’ve done some light reading and know it’s almost a lost cause in getting it officially recognized. No matter, I’m planning on wearing it for some time but I would love some self assurance. I know almost nothing about signs and signals towards authenticating this. I know casts of the coin are popular. Anything advice or signs that I can count on regarding this piece? It’s bought from an estate sale and weights 29 grams total, bevel 14k gold as listed. Don’t even know if that’s authentic.

Paid $450

BDC45B38-564B-4025-BD5E-349F764F6761.jpeg
BD7AAB7E-2C4F-4B50-BCE6-296320DA8065.jpeg
A1A34DC5-F73B-4859-854D-404538C14108.jpeg

Upvote 9

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to string this out any further as some are reluctant to want to make educated guesses.

First, The Atocha sank in 1622. Your piece has the Pillars and Waves style that is from the 1650's and later. Hence, 100% it can not have any provenance to Atocha.

Second, when you enlarge the photos, you can plainly see an assayer on the Pillars side. And a date on the Cross side. The date is 1665 with an assayer of Antonio de Ergueta. It was also minted in Potosi.

No idea what wreck it would be salvaged from. But with the sea salt corrosion, it would likely have sold wholesale to jewlers without any credible COA. The bad news (other than it not being an Atocha piece) is the value. The mount is an attractive and well-made piece, but the coin itself is a low grade. It likely would have a $150-$200 retail. Maybe more, if it was in a tourist town. Atocha pieces always carry a premium as it is not just a treasure coin, but a piece of Mel's American dream that people want to own. If it was an actual Atocha piece with paperwork, then you would have been in the right neighborhood regarding what you paid for what is considered a grade 4. A grade 1 (very rare) is valued $1200.
We got there eventually, but I'm not sure why you felt the need to make it so painful.:icon_scratch: It didn't spur me on to learn (although I have little interest in Spanish Coins, as they rarely turn up in my area), the above would have done just fine thanks.:icon_thumright:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, Diver Down was likely hopeful that some folks would take the initiative and learn why the coin was not an Atocha coin. It seems that others were the ones that made the learning journey painful.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what its worth...

Stuff from TSI is marked.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It looks like an Isla de Muerto coin from the Consolacion wreck. This is an interesting wreck, though the coins were mostly of low quality. Thre was a sale in 2001 of a batch of about 8000 coins from this wreck.

Sedwick has a 1622 8 reals on his site right now for 185.00.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018
Florida cocoa beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 ,pro find 35, big stainless beach scoop , Root slayer Nomad
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t let the paper work kill your hopes learn what to look for and with a piece like that keep and forget about a value unless your a flipper

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It looks like an Isla de Muerto coin from the Consolacion wreck. This is an interesting wreck, though the coins were mostly of low quality. Thre was a sale in 2001 of a batch of about 8000 coins from this wreck.

Sedwick has a 1622 8 reals on his site right now for 185.00.

I would agree re: the possible provenance of the Consolacion. The coins all have the same heavily pitted sea salt corrosion look. But of course, no one will be able to prove otherwise. But it is likely not just because of the looks but because of the availability. The market is flooded with Consolacion cobs. It does have an interesting story both at the time of the wreck and the salvage behind it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread