Atocha estate sale find- words of wisdom??

JuannyChico

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a good deal for an Atocha coin but the sale came with no paperwork. I’ve done some light reading and know it’s almost a lost cause in getting it officially recognized. No matter, I’m planning on wearing it for some time but I would love some self assurance. I know almost nothing about signs and signals towards authenticating this. I know casts of the coin are popular. Anything advice or signs that I can count on regarding this piece? It’s bought from an estate sale and weights 29 grams total, bevel 14k gold as listed. Don’t even know if that’s authentic.

Paid $450

BDC45B38-564B-4025-BD5E-349F764F6761.jpeg
BD7AAB7E-2C4F-4B50-BCE6-296320DA8065.jpeg
A1A34DC5-F73B-4859-854D-404538C14108.jpeg

Upvote 9

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather has one that ended up getting stolen. That’s a great piece no matter what. You still might be able to find someone that could authenticate it. Either way, beautiful piece!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that without a certificate, there is no way of knowing for certain that it came from the Atocha. Personally, I wouldn't take their word for it, and as such probably wouldn't offer more than 150 for it. But that's just me.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That holder for it is pretty custom from the looks of it. What metal is it? That would be alot of work to make a fake one... and for not that much $$. The coin appears to have the seawater corrosion... my gut is telling me you have a real one.

Last edited:

apdp

Dec 7, 2010
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks typical of many Atocha coins I have seen. Many heavily corroded reale's came fro the wreck. I would say authenic and very like Atocha.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find cool relic

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also from michigan

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like has been laying beneath sea level for a few hundred years. I'd say it is a real Spanish coin. Don't wear it in Spain, they might try to take it from you.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TheGreatNorth. That bezel would take some work. It’s a long shot that the guys in the Shipwrecks forum would know more about, but you might contact the Mel Fisher store to see if they’d have a photo-catalog of all their pieces, or someone who could verify it.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful piece, wear it with pride! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that without a certificate, there is no way of knowing for certain that it came from the Atocha. Personally, I wouldn't take their word for it, and as such probably wouldn't offer more than 150 for it. But that's just me.
Agreed, over paid, even if real which I think it is but without knowing where it came from.

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Piece, Often at estate sales any document that is not negotiable for some value is destroyed. Is there any chance of finding a survivor of the family/individual? Whoever owned this surely showed it off to somebody!

Best wishes!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is not Atocha. 100% certainty. It is a genuine 8 R sea salvaged piece. I will give you more reasoning and explanation this afternoon. I want to wait for others to figure it out. It is easy for those that know what to look for.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Why guess if you can tell us?

It would be nice if people wanted to learn. I only chimed in as it popped up in my sidebar. I never view/post in Today's Finds. Usually when they are moved to the Spanish Cobs section is when I offer my expertise. I'll withhold an explanation in case someone wants to make an educated guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread