Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

We never got the rain we were supposed to get..the last decent rain we got was September 6. I didn't have permission to check any new yards, so I went to the sports field where I found a silver Kennedy half 2 weeks ago, but only found clad..very little clad >:(

I decided to go back to a yard I got permission to search a while back that produced a silver Washington quarter, 2 Mercs, 3 silver Rosies and over 40 wheat pennies. I searched this yard like crazy over the last few weeks, making about 7 trips there. The pickins were few and far between, but I did manage my second war nickel in 2 weeks time - a 1943-S. I had no idea what my target was because I dug all "iffy" signals again, and the ground was so hard and dry, which are the only 2 excuses for scraping the crap out of the tales side.

find2.jpg

Luckily they made more than 104 million of the things or I'd be losing sleep tonight.

I also found 2 more wheats (1936-P and 1953-S), a dart, a dog tag (belonging to a dog one street up according to the address printed on it), and a few odds and ends, including the remains of a very old watch.

find1.jpg

find3.jpg

I also found this old pull tab, the only one I have ever found that looks like this..it has 23R stamped on the other side and 3 small circular indents.

find4.jpg

If anyone here knows their pulltabs, please tell me how old this one is.

Nat

Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Re: Check Out My Gouged War Nickel

Hard diggs Nat. Still you found the nickle.....

Keep safe...

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Donny for the link, I have beer cans from that era so now I know what the tab looked like.

Lisa! I guess I missed that one, so without changing the subject of my post, I'll just say it happened, I'd rather it didn't but it did.

I might start testing the ground with my digger and wait until after the rain if the ground is too hard..today you almost needed a hammer and chisel.

Nat

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Re: Check Out My Gouged War Nickel

Nice finds inspite of the terrible digging conditions , its the same here.
I'm thinking about putting up my diggin tools and get me some rock mason tools to dig this dry/concrete dirt :P
hope ya get rain soon :)

Doozis

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how it is to dig concrete too. :-\ Maybe we'll get some rain soon!

Congrats on your finds. Nana :)

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT
very cool pulltab , i would also like to know the nature and date of it . i still havn't found a war nickle but it is on the list.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Nat.
I'm sure we've all scraped a few coins, so don't feel bad. It could have been worse, it could have been GOLD. :o ;D
Congrats,
MM

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Great going Natman. You are surely with the best of detectorist when you can do that. I mean like at the top.

HH and good luck

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good deal Nat. For me one keeper out a heavily hunted place is a better feeling than multiple silvers out of an "easy" place.

Donny - thanks for the info on those tabs. I always thought that those kind of tabs were much older than the ring style.

Bob

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Looks like a good day to me. I'm begining to think a jackhammer will be in order if this ground gets much harder. The ground is like rock here too.

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Hey Nat,
Nice war nickel!! Your ground is very forgiving on those nickels. I've found
hundreds of em, but the majority either have green or black crap, permanently
embedded into the coin. Electrolysis takes it off, but leaves those lovely huge
gouges. Keep pluggin away, and soon you'll have a full set of pristine war nickels!!

HH Slabman

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Nice job...your perseverence is paying off.Just goes to show theres always another recovery hiding there someplace.God Bless and HH..Panz

poppa19

Jul 22, 2007
western new york
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
I have found about a half dozen of these weird pull taps at a park i hunt in and yes i also found 3 mercs there so far after only 2 hunts

S

stefen

I suppose that you'd want to know if its from a Coors or a Brew 102 beer can?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions