George Washington Mourning Button? Hmmmmm....

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this was kind of an exciting find. Although I'm a bit of a skeptic, this is listed as a George Washington mourning button by a few websites, including georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com and Stacks Bowers auctions.

It measures in at 34.5mm (very close to GW inaugurals at 34mm) and was featured in J. Harold Cobb's collection, who was the first major collector of GW's starting in the early 1950's. I dug this on Wednesday but decided to post it today, considering that George Washington died on December 14th. Again, still a bit skeptical without more documentation on it.🤔

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Another example:
GEORGE WASHINGTON MOURNING BUTTON 34.56mm BRASS DUG IN UPTON MASS RJ SILVERSTIENS GEORGEWASHINGTONINAUGURALBUTTONS.COM ? George Washington Inaugural Buttons

Upvote 29

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me say that I have a lot of respect for you not trying to wish this find into being something it may not be or trying to talk yourself and others into it. It happens a lot and I’ve prob done it myself when I started this hobby. Unfortunately there’s some fantastic finds that will likely always remain a mystery. Part of the fun of this hobby in my opinion. With that said this is a very cool find. I love the links that are similar but this button seems to be much more unique. You have found some really amazing stuff lately and I’m a big fan of seeing your posts. Keep up the great work buddy. I’d be very excited to add this button to my display.

OP
OP
Dust Eater

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off let me say that I have a lot of respect for you not trying to wish this find into being something it may not be or trying to talk yourself and others into it. It happens a lot and I’ve prob done it myself when I started this hobby. Unfortunately there’s some fantastic finds that will likely always remain a mystery. Part of the fun of this hobby in my opinion. With that said this is a very cool find. I love the links that are similar but this button seems to be much more unique. You have found some really amazing stuff lately and I’m a big fan of seeing your posts. Keep up the great work buddy. I’d be very excited to add this button to my display.

Thank you, and you're right - it's always tempting to have delusions of grandeur.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does the button have an "urn" on it? I mean George Washington was not cremated? Could that represent the "Holy Grail" instead of an "Urn"? Great find. Banner for sure.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Dust Eater

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why does the button have an "urn" on it? I mean George Washington was not cremated? Could that represent the "Holy Grail" instead of an "Urn"? Great find. Banner for sure.
*Said in the Oak Island narrator's voice* The Holy Grail? Or the Arc of the Covenant? Could it be? That the button was worn by a Templar knight?

Nah, but really - i think the urn is more symbolic than anything.

Last edited:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really nice button regardless, but it's really interesting to hear people's thoughts on it! Nice find!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful button! I love the design & it sure is a mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread