Back home, back at it and a couple of nice findshe

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Back home, back at it and a couple of nice finds

Hey Tneters. Been gone a long ,long time. I was still hunting here and there but not as much as normal in the old days.
Left in June for a six month motorcycle trip through 38 states and most of Mexico. Soooo many times I wished I had a machine along with me, as I rode a lot of backroads and dirtroads and saw a lot of old places, both here and South of the border.
So anyways, upon my return my old buddy Don (Detection Connection on Youtube and an old hunting partner) has been driving up to get me (I sold my car, and everything else I own before I left )and taking me out. Even letting me use his Deus (yes, my DFX still works fine, but DAMN the Deus is light and crazy good at field hunting) and I just found a couple of nice items.
Hunting plowed fields where a 1850s map showed a grist mill, school house and farm house, after securing permission.

First was the nicest CW relic I've ever dug (in Ohio where I'm from), a Federal Breast plate with one corner torn or shot off

Then, on a hillside near the schoolhouse location, I dug what most likely was dropped by a farmer in the 1950's as that's the age of it, but it's still a honking gold ring, and just made me a tidy sum on Ebay!
FFA-Future Farmers of America

And that's two weeks in a row on a gold streak. The week earlier in another mid-1800's location, I dug a teeny little gold band. Note it's size against my thumbnail!

Anyways, it's nice to be out swinging the coil again, nice to be with old friends, and get the bug out of my system. Am still not working and am trying to raise $$ to leave again in the Spring, this time with the goal of riding to the Southertip of South America and returning. So am hoping for a double eagle on tomorrow's hunt lol!
And...tomorrow we are hunting a spot where there was a whole little town in the 1850's with Blacksmiths shop, Post Office, General Store, a few homes and a Tavern. The Tavern area has already produced awesome old coppers and even a trime. Excited I am, and good to be back on TNet, even if for a short time.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are some quality finds! Any one of those would have made my day, but the breast plate would have made my year! Excellent work!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds I love traveling I used to drive my 70 charger all over the country that is living life I know you had a great time .Great finds also nice rings yes there are soooo many places to detect while traveling

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your back also thanks for the cool post Tommy

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
great finds I love traveling I used to drive my 70 charger all over the country that is living life I know you had a great time .Great finds also nice rings yes there are soooo many places to detect while traveling

Hey A2, I had a 68 Charger RT, 440 Mag. Don't know what power plant you had but mind would run like a scolded dog from the factory. :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds. Just wondered if the FFA ring had initials inside the band. Look fairly new.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding finds! :notworthy:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome finds.Now this will seem odd ,your FFA ring is made of gold,and you sold that one on E-bay for big bucks. Congrats.Nowtoo the odd part,a few years ago I dug a FFA Ring ,it is sterling and has the very same detail on it.What did the ring weigh,and what was the k inscribed?The one I FOUND WAS THE HEAVIEST SILVER RING I FOUND EVER

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds that ring is really cool

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you are 'back in action' also I envy your Cool Trip , & wish you a safe trips in the Future.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
The FFA "graduation" ring was made for a few years in the late 50's by Balfour Rings, who still make class rings.

In my research I have indeed seen pictures of quite a few of the same ring but cast in silver rather than gold. I figure the farm family that celebrated the FFA graduation had some money.

And no initials inside the ring. Just "Balfour 10K". Balfour never exceeds 10K alloying as it resists wear better

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey A2, I had a 68 Charger RT, 440 Mag. Don't know what power plant you had but mind would run like a scolded dog from the factory. :icon_thumleft:
It had a 318 I put a K frame in it and built a 440 482 292 cam crazy cool car Wish I never sold it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions