Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to campus the other day and had 3 hours to detect. A decent number of coins came out of the ground, but the area was heavier in trash than usual and most of the coins were pennies, 83 out of 118 so the face was only $6.13. In addition I found a bent and broken handle for an old safety razor, an old car key, both halves of a cheapy cutwork heart (found 5 feet apart), a crochet hook and a pendant.

856A535A-5B96-4C2F-B7FF-DBD0A3ABF8D0.jpeg 540A71CC-D5F5-443D-ADD7-2E3859E62989.jpeg

The pendant is plated so it is not valuable, but it is inscribed with “Falcons 87” on one side and a name on the other. Out of curiosity I search the name and found an obituary for the man. He was a 1987 graduate of Frankfort High in West Virginia, they are the Falcons, and he was a graduate of the college where I found it. He probably lost the pendant while he was a student so it was lost at least 27 years ago or longer. I found names of parents and relatives in the obituary so I checked the local Maryland phone book and found numbers for his grandmother and an uncle. Other number would probably be in the West Virginia book, but I don’t have one. He died in January 2018 so I was hoping the numbers would still be good.

I know the pendant is not valuable in the monetary sense but it may have sentimental value to the family since they lost him at the age of 48, so I made a call and grand mother gave me his mother’s number. Mom was surprised by the call, but when I asked if she wanted the pendant she definitely wanted it. She mentioned that he passed away last year and her responses to our conversation told me she was very happy the pendant was finding its way home. The easiest way to get it to her is by mail so she gave me her address and I put it in an envelope and will mail it tomorrow. Another find returned!

05CA5B09-2480-47B9-9E5E-5C5DD73644D2.jpeg

Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 38

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of coins,and I am proud of you on the return of that pendant,the family will cherish it forever. CONGRATS.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice all the way around .. You got my vote for Honorable Mention!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, but excellent gesture on returning it. Honorable mention from me also.

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did all detectorists a great service.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice day. Congrats.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable mention goid deed

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds and sharing the story! :icon_thumleft:

You are doing a nice thing for the family...Honorable Mention in my book!:notworthy:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I am surprised that this thread hasn't been granted Honorable Mention status. :dontknow:

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always enjoy a story with a happy ending, but I have a question I hope you can answer. How do you dig over 120 keeper targets in 180 minutes, repair your plugs and find the next keeper target? I gotta know so I can up my game. I was hunting for almost six hours yesterday and had 55 "keepers" in that time. I thought I was moving along pretty good, but you youngsters put this 68 year old man to shame for search, extract and repair. One find cycle every 1.5 minutes is outstanding! You da man!:notworthy:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Job well done- Congrats!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoeVal, here are the secrets of fast target recovery. when the good targets are only a swing or 2 of the coil apart and you have soft ground, and it also helps that the trash level in this place is low. I have had a lot of practice and can pin point without using the pinpoint feature on the detector. So I cut the plug with a mini shovel and use the Garrett carrot, trowel the dirt with the target onto a bucket lid recover the target, pouch it and tip the lid into the hole, flip the plug back stand and stomp it down and start swingin.

When I first started detecting the latest scout camp, almost all the targets were within 2 inches of the surface so when I got a signal I just used the pinpointer and a trowel and my recovery time averaged about 40 seconds a target.

One last thing, I am NOT a youngster. I am 68 as well and have been detecting for 16 and a half years.

Thanks for looking and keep swingin.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good deed done! Very nice of you! Nice finds too! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread