Big Morgan and the great train robbery of 2018!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This true treasure tale begins two weeks ago in a colonial era farm field with my friend Ryan. Some good colonial era coins had come out of the field, but we had never hunted it. I got a high tone indicating potential silver and quickly dug a hole to reveal a large round gray coin. Holy moly you've got to see this Ryan! I didn't touch and walked over to him with a giant grin. He wanted to film it so we talked about what it could be while he set up his camera. We were jumping with excitement. I ran my detector over it to check it again. It was high but not quite the number I'd expect. Ready? Camera rolling action... I picked it up and I instantly knew something was wrong. It was too light to be silver. It turned out to be a 1940 Union Pacific Aluminum train token. It was better than being a piece of trash but I was crushed for the day.

Two weeks later 7:00 am at my colonial spot that I have bludgeoned in an effort to find everything... let the hunt commence! You have to get up early to find the good stuff so here I was just myself and the deer. I probably saw 10 that morning as I worked my through the brambles and rotting trees searching for the goods. Glenn AKA "The Silver Bandit" was late but he still managed to find a buffalo. I had been hunting for an hr and hadn't found a thing. We worked our way over to an area of the woods that we rarely hit and he found an unidentified copper in an old cartpath. Hey congrats I knew there was still stuff here! Then a few minutes later he found another buffalo. Hmm where was my stuff!? I had started to lose hope as my detecting window was starting to close. I had been skunked a good deal lately. We headed back toward the hammered area and on the way I asked Glenn to give me the treasure power so I might find something too....he gave me a fist bump to help my spirits. With a little hope I swung away until I got a penny signal 81 that was a little mixed. It was right next to a downed tree so I hadn't gotten my coil over in past trips. In my patented "dig-it-all-and-let-the-treasure-gods-sort-it-out" mode this was worth a look. The first thing I saw was a big round silver like disk... could it be?!!! Was it my turn to bask in the glory? I hailed my treasure buddy over and he got his camera going. I gave it a final swing, again it wasn't quite as high as I thought and a little broken. Whatwazit!? Little worried but mostly excited and anticipating. I plucked it out of the hole and right off the bat I knew the weight was correct... beneath the caked dirt was a 1921 Morgan Dollar! My first ever! I was ecstatic. My detecting year was now made for quite awhile! Skunking be damned. Just be sure I wasn't missing another coin I ran the coil over it and got more signals. Out came a buffalo and a wheatie to boot. Now although the wheatie was just a wheatie it wasn't just a wheatie. It was a 47 which makes me think these coins could have been dropped around that time. It was a day to remember and It was so awesome to be able to share the find with my buddy! As a beginner I wouldn't even say I have a list of things I need to find. It's all fair game, but this one was one I really wanted. Thanks to the person who lost this treasure for the future finder! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_6559.JPG
    IMG_6559.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6557.JPG
    IMG_6557.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6556.JPG
    IMG_6556.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 47

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Excellent hunting and welcome to the silver dollar club!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

BIG Silver congratulations on the Morgan! :occasion14:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great big silver! I never found a silver Dollar in all my 30 years detecting....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey congrats on the Morgan. I'm still looking for a Silver Dollar and I've been hunting a long time :laughing7:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still looking

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post better keep doing the lucky fist bump Ive only found 1 silver dollar and yep it was a 1921 Morgan Ill tell ya that's a day where if I found nothing else I didn't care Well done. Put that bad boy in a nice case. Thanks for the cool post. that RR token is really cool also. Tommy

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on joining the silver dollar club.Nice one,and it is the last year for Morgan dollars.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joining the Silver Dollar Club is a big deal - most will never bag one in 30 or 40 years of detecting . I grabbed a 1923-S Peace Dollar around ten years ago.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna need a piece dollar soon also lol

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s awesome! I’ve been looking for mine for over two years and managed 4 half dollars but no dollar yet. Congrats on a killer find!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the HUGE silver!!! Nothing like feeling that weight coming out the ground. I hit a 8 reales and I’m still chasing that high. Again congratulations and great story.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great big silver! I never found a silver Dollar in all my 30 years detecting....

Wasn't sure I'd find one either but I've imagined for and hoped that I'd find a Morgan. Don't give up hope. If you live in Germany that could be a tough one to find!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey congrats on the Morgan. I'm still looking for a Silver Dollar and I've been hunting a long time :laughing7:

With all those great coins you have found that are listed on your post... I think it's a process of elimination!!! You will find one I know it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions