Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I hunted a couple of empty lots where there used to be houses and I found these two items, but I had no idea how cool they were till I cut them cleaned up and did some research.

The first I believe is a coal miners identification tag issued by "The Victor-American Fuel Co.", which in itself is not that rare. What makes it special is it's from a tiny ghost town known as Radiant, Colorado. I have yet to find another example of this tag.

Bright Beginning: Ghost town Radiant was once a busy mining camp - Canon City Daily Record

20181219_182511.jpg
20181219_182453.jpg

The second I thought was just another merchant trade token, but apparently not. It reads "The Brunswick-Balke Collender Compy" and a picture of a pool table on one side and "G. and G. Good for 3 1/2c (cents) in Trade" on the other side. The J. M. Brunswick Manufacturing Company opened for business 1845 primary building carriages, but soon got into building pool tables. After a series of mergers and expansions they became the Brunswick-Balke Collender Company in 1884, thus giving and earliest possible date for this token.

I have searched several online resources and auction sites and found several Brunswick-Balke (saloon?) tokens from 5-25 cents but not a single mention of this 3 1/2 cent scalloped edge token. Now I'm starting to think it's possible that this is a new discovery, or at least very rare.

20181219_182323.jpg
20181219_182305.jpg

I'd like to ask that those of you with books on tokens check to see if you can find out if this one is listed.

Upvote 48

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice saves! The token is really neat :icon_thumleft:

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds. Congrats.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent pics to another local detectorists and he said he just hunted those same lots with his CTX-3030 two weeks ago and only found a few clad coins.

High tech and super expensive isn't always best.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Assuming you are still using an Xterra 705 they are quite capable machines and can find pretty much anything that a CTX3030 can. Just have to get lucky and swing your coil over it and dig it. Awesome tokens. Maybe someone can help provide more information on them.

I sent pics to another local detectorists and he said he just hunted those same lots with his CTX-3030 two weeks ago and only found a few clad coins.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a pic
history of the Radiant Mine: Rockvale Mines Coal - Rockvale Page
PS: I'll guess the check was originally placed on a checkboard then, when the miner came on shift, he took the tag with him--then put it back on the checkboard at the end of shift--thereby telling others (in the officer) whether or not he was still in the mine.
Don......

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No tellin how many tokens were made over the years. Nice finds.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool, tokens and tags like that represent a different time of history, one of much harder times

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice unlisted token! I'd write to whoever authored the book on trade tokens for your state and include high quality photos of both sides of it so they can print it in the next edition.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

Well maybe you have to hit the right spot too.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Super impressive finds. Congratulations.

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing, You had asked if anyone had found an employee pass like the one found. Well I cannot say that I found one that was identical but, very close to it. The differences being; the shape and size of pass, the number (mine was 433) the name of the town ( mine grey creek) and no hole. Unfortunately I no longer own the pass as I have sold it so I do not have a picture to provide to you art this time. There is a possibility of getting it back so, if I do I will post a picture of it.
The one you found is a great find and the token as well. I have neve seen a 3.5 cent token. Congratulations
Bond

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing, You had asked if anyone had found an employee pass like the one found. Well I cannot say that I found one that was identical but, very close to it. The differences being; the shape and size of pass, the number (mine was 433) the name of the town ( mine grey creek) and no hole. Unfortunately I no longer own the pass as I have sold it so I do not have a picture to provide to you art this time. There is a possibility of getting it back so, if I do I will post a picture of it.
The one you found is a great find and the token as well. I have neve seen a 3.5 cent token. Congratulations
Bond

I found a few other Victor-American Fuel Co. Miners tags online just none from Radiant Colorado.

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds