xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started the day by going to work and worked a half day. It was a warm and sunny day for this time of year and I had a few hours of sunlight left.... off to my good old favorite spot in the woods! I set the bar pretty low so I don't get too disappointed. One good find is all I ask. No need to be greedy! I found the usual: some shotgun shells and then I found an impacted musket ball. Always a good find in my book. Then I went on to find a couple pieces of clad which is always a surprise because I have hit this place hard and there has been a pleasant absence of it. When I do get that coin signal my hopes always soar upward... not today buddy! I hunted for a short time with my friend Ryan who had to leave early so it was just me and the woods. I wish I could bottle the feeling I get from this place. The sun was on it's way down so I headed toward an area that I had swept a little bit and had no finds to speak of. There I met a pack of deer. We looked at each other for awhile and I marveled at their silent beauty as they cautiously regarded me. Then we went back to our lives. Then about five minutes later I got a mixed signal that indicated there could be something worth checking. I gave it a try and to my surprise out popped a dirt encrusted disk that looked coin like. Aha what do we have here!? I brushed the dirt off to reveal the one cent side and then flipped it over to see the right looking bust. Now I don't know about others on here but the draped bust large cents are kind of elusive in that I have not found any that could be easily identified. Usually it's a tell tale whisper or hint of a right looking profile. This one was pretty clear and had a date on it. 1803. 215 years old. I'll take it. My day was now made. I swept a little more and got a deep good signal that indicated possible another largie or copper. It was a clad dime! The gang of wild turkeys that was nearby collectively laughed at me. My day was made though. On the drive home I stopped and basked in the momentary draped bust glory and watched the sun go down. Upon getting home and brushing it a little I realized it had started to dry and flake which is a little frustrating. I bought some peroxide and I'm hoping to try the hot dip method to see if I can get the coin to be free of dirt without taking all detail with it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks as always for reading and may you all find some great things in 19!

Attachments

• IMG_6575.JPG
    IMG_6575.JPG
    760.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6576.JPG
    IMG_6576.JPG
    815.6 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 30

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great/rare coin. I hope it doesn’t lose anymore detail with the cleaning. HH

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coin and a nice story. Being from Massachusetts myself, I can appreciate how difficult it is to dig an identifiable early copper. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet old copper, congratulations! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice way to end the year.Congrats

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG. I have a hard time finding coppers from the 1780-1810 period

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice, Congrats!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like there are a whole-lot of us Mass hunters on this forum, and it doesn't what part of the state you're from, the great finds just keep coming- Congrats on a sweet ending to 2018, and here's to another banner-worthy 2019 for all!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Xcopperstax! Your description of hunting alone in the woods with all of your forest friends was down right poetic. I'm always struck by the beauty and peaceful solitude I experience when out in the woods. Nothing better. Congratulations on that wonderful Draped Bust cent. They don't come around to often, and when they do, its a pretty special day. HH

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like hunting the woods also great thread and nice coinage.. Happy 2019 to ya Tommy

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great/rare coin. I hope it doesn’t lose anymore detail with the cleaning. HH

Thanks. I've decided to try a hot peroxide dip. We'll see what happens. Kind of like rolling dice! I hope I don't ruin it.... It has some good detail potential and it seems like a good one to try it on... someday a better coin will be found and I'd like to know how to do it.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin and a nice story. Being from Massachusetts myself, I can appreciate how difficult it is to dig an identifiable early copper. Congrats!

Thanks. It's funny because the first coppers I found had some pretty good detail leading me to say "it can only get better from here" ha boy was I wrong. The site I am currently detecting has yielded 8 coppers and only one or two of them have had any detail. No wipers in 19! best of luck out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread