πŸ₯‡ BANNER It's a CIVIL WAR DOG TAG! Louisiana Pelican Button Stunner, Eagle, Bullets, Silver

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I just don't know how to even process the hunt we had yesterday. I've found something that was a bucket list, Dream Find for me for 25 years-something that I thought I'd never, ever dig. As I'm still cleaning bullets and brass pieces that I dug, I felt that I just had to get this posted to share with all of you. Here's the video:

We got up early and went to a new field that we've been wanting to try out. The rains have been horrible here in Louisiana this fall, with many crop fields complete failures and the soybeans rotting in them because they couldn't get them out due to the mud. Sugar cane is about a month behind schedule and the yield is poor due to the weather. We were supposed to host a good friend from Kentucky to come dig with us and he had to cancel because it was a flood of rain and we would've been unable to dig at all! Well it was still nasty but we just couldn't stand it any longer, we just had to get out. After parking and walking through the muck for a mile we got to our field, almost worn out before we even started. I'd seen a trash pit there and thought it'd be nice to give it a try.

Turns out the pit was 1920-40s and we werent interested. After digging our butts off for two hours for junk I decided to take a random walk into the next field back. It was quiet, unlike the machine gun chatter of iron I'd been putting up with in the trash pit. :)

Getting a good beep (my second signal in that field!) I dug what looked like a gilded civilian flower button. I was pleased with it, thinking it was at least a good sign of something old in the area. But when I opened the clod for a closer look, I started to freak out. It was a BEAUTIFUL gold gilded Pelican Civil War button!!

212_1623.JPG 212_1627.JPG IMG_8926.jpeg

IMG_1999.JPG

Easily my finest condition Pelican button dug, this is the LA203A1 variety with the *SCOVILL, MF'G, CO* backmark.

Our digging went into overtime! Then the bullets started to come up. Mainly .69 cal round balls and buck from the "buck and ball" configuration rounds. Then I dug a flattened minieball and my buddy dug an eagle button:

IMG_8928.jpeg

Looked like a mixed-occupation site, North and South!

At this point we actually dug several coins--

IMG_8930.jpeg

first a Shield nickel for Shane, then one for me, then a wheat cent, a second Shield, and I got a fantastic high tone. Looking down I spied a Barber Dime poking out of the dirt. Beautiful 1905-O (not the micro-O variety, unfortunately).

IMG_8938.jpeg IMG_2001.JPG IMG_2002.JPG

Evidently a mixed site in terms of time period too! Funny thing happened when I thought I had another military button (laying face down in the mud). Picked it up and once I realized it was only the back the four letter words came out :D Plug your ears if u watch the video. :laughing7:

All the while we were digging buckshot and .69 cal balls, as well as some pistol bullets. (Ended up with a NICE pocket full of lead!)

Then I got this good tone and opened up the hole and saw what I thought at first was a Large Cent staring up at me:

212_1637.JPG

Then I looked closely and noticed the gilding. So I started thinking "token." (This whole dialog that's usually in my head is actually coming out of my mouth in the video, which is interesting!). Then I flipped it over and saw this:

212_1648.JPG

Which made me think "Abraham Lincoln Campaign Token" (my wife has dug one). But then I saw "War of 1861" on the token and it started to dawn on me that it MIGHT be a Civil War ID Disc!! My heart started racing!!

212_1651.JPG

Turns out that's EXACTLY what it is! These were manufactured so they could be purchased by sutlers and stamped with soldiers' names so their bodies could be identified if they perished in battle. ("dog tags" as we know them were not standard military issue yet--and in fact these are the first dog tags in use).

Here's a link to a similar, dug one:

http://www.horsesoldier.com/product...hmctnjimLVK0gLS4FJOEebHws6rGvV_qqnVbkntbQO8VM

And a blank, non-dug one (this is how mine would've looked when new, before it was stamped with the soldier's name):

Nondug.jpg Nondug1.jpg

https://historical.ha.com/itm/polit...-bust-of-lincoln-facing-right/a/96061-27067.s

I raced home, hoping--PRAYING--that the stamped side of the disc would be legible. (They are often lightly stamped and fare horribly in the soil.) After some careful brain surgery with a wooden skewer, and photographing each step of the way, some letters started to come out. (For those of you who clean copper and brass items with water, if I'd done that here, EVERYTHING would've been completely lost!). Eventually the name and other details emerged.

IMG_1995.JPG IMG_2000.JPG

This Yankee soldier's name was Thomas Mason. He was born in Bangor, Maine in 1838 and enlisted on September 20th 1862 as a private in Company G 41st Massachusetts Volunteers (designation changed to the 3rd Massachusetts Cavalry in June of 1863--and this unit designation is what his war records bear). He was a part of the 2nd Brigade of the Army of the Gulf and participated in the siege of Port Hudson where he sustained an injury that sent him home disabled. Thomas wasn't done with military service though. After 11 months recovery, he reinlisted in the 13th Regiment Veterans Reserve Corps (a Corps for those rendered unable to serve due to disease or wounds, but who could continue to serve in garrison or lighter duty). He was honorably discharged at the war's end in 1865. He continued to stay active in the Massachusetts G.A.R. and died in West Bridgewater Massachusetts on March 20, 1896 of bronchitis at the age of 58.

I honestly can't imagine his thoughts, after growing up in Maine, once he enlisted in the summer and they sent him straight to Louisiana. Louisiana is still like no other place in the world today--but in the 1860s I'm sure it was like a foreign country with the rain forest levels of precipitation, deep mud, the spanish moss, plantation homes, French and Spanish language spoken everywhere, mazes of bayous and swamps, nutria rats, gators, snakes and sweltering heat.

I am in awe and humbled to have been the first person to touch this ID disc 156 years after it fell from Private Mason's neck in a Louisiana sugarcane field.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Last edited:
Upvote 146

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like an amazing hunt congrats! Great research and good description of it! That looks like a once in a lifetime find. Thanks to your post awhile back I cleaned up some silver very nicely. I'm curious did you clean this with just a toothpick no brushing etc? I probably would have made the mistake of using water. Do you have any photo's of the cleaned up obverse side?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
very cool find.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome, well thought out, well written post! Banner vote in, THAT my friend..is BANNER find, all day long. Loved the post so much I read it twice! If you thought 1916d Mercs or Chain cents were hard to find, try digging a CW dog tag! Congrats on a truly life-changing find. Ddf.

thanks so much my friend, that personal connection of this relic is so rare in our hobby

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote banner as well. That is a truly rare find and your work on the history of that piece was terrific. Great job and I hope to see you up top soon.

Keep swingin.

thank you for the banner vote and kind words!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great mud hunt guys! The rain was crazy this year. You know hunting civil war stuff you always hope to find a name on something. To know who it was that was there. It's great you found this I.D tag and was able to track it all down. Its rare when a relic can be tied to one specific person.
My vote is in.
Happy 2019!
TnMtns

Thank you TnMtns and happy 2019 to you and yours :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck that’s an insane find! I lived in Bangor for a few years and still reside in Maine. As you said it must have been a complete shock going from Bangor, ME to a place that was virtually unrecognizable. I have such admiration for these soldiers who were wounded and still felt compelled to go serve in whatever capacity they were able. My god what a find. BANNER....not that I feel I even have to say it

Yes I agree that it’s powerful to see that type of unwavering dedication through injury and military discharge. He could’ve easily just taken the pension and gone home to civilian life. Instead he re-enlisted and continued to serve in any capacity that he could.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner all the way there Buckle's!!!! I'd be happy with the funny looking bird button :tongue3: All kidding aside,you are already on your way to a killer year. Can't wait to see the ID fully cleaned. Congrats Brother :occasion14:

thanks my friend! I think that’s as far as I’m going to go with the ID disc reverse. Did some gentle cleaning on the obverse but I think I may leave it as is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like an amazing hunt congrats! Great research and good description of it! That looks like a once in a lifetime find. Thanks to your post awhile back I cleaned up some silver very nicely. I'm curious did you clean this with just a toothpick no brushing etc? I probably would have made the mistake of using water. Do you have any photo's of the cleaned up obverse side?

I appreciate the kind words my friend. I did some very, Very careful tooth picking on the reverse. The obverse I used just a little bit of aluminum jelly on while trying to keep the reverse dry the whole time. Now that the mud is removed from the obverse, it looks OK but I preferred the look moist from the soil to highlight the design so I might take a drop of oil and rub on my pointer finger and rub the obverse. I may mull this over in my head for a week or so, and I also might try it out on the Pelican first to see how it reacts, since it is a gold gilded item of the same age from the same exact field. I’m thrilled that you were able to clean up your silver using my cleaning methods! Baking soda and foil method?

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Keep at it that field could yet more great finds. HH

my thoughts as well! In some direction on that property those civil war finds will lead to a hotspot. Our other civil war site in that area yielded a US buckle, 10 eagle buttons, cap badge, 4 pelicans, a Kentucky Military Institute button and a lot of lead!

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible!! CONGRATULATIONS!! -I learned a lot from this post! BANNER.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Clicked on that picture not expecting to be able to read it, there are plenty enough post here where folks tend to see what they want.

I was shocked that you could read it, I only zoomed in at 275% (quality picture by the way) and could make it out.

I have a mate who collects these, he has been collecting since the 60s and only has 27, 5 of which where passed down in his family so not finds. Most of his you can not read a name. He was telling me that the rare ones are big money, but if you can read a name then connect that name to a specific event then it really goes through the roof and for the few that you can find news paper clippings on, even just minor news that some collectors pay big. He has never purchased one him self, he says his taste cost too much.

Great find, if you happen to find anything on that fella, please come back and let us all know what you find.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banner find- great find with amazing research.
Thanks for the history lesson too.
Congrats

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and great story. Should easily get banner!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds BB.

That's a rare piece of history there. A hunting buddy of mine pulled one at a century old park about a year ago that we frequent.

You just never know. You deserve it you guys put the time in.

Jeremy

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing is all I gotta say

Top Member Reactions