Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Cut 1652 Massachusetts Oak Tree "spiny tree" schilling

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2015
    Richmond,Va
    Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
    2479 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Thanks for all the banner votes!!

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    7794 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg3131 View Post
    Thanks for all the banner votes!!
    Definitely banner worthy especially considering how few have been posted ever and none have made it. I think this is only the second cut piece posted since I joined in 2015. I really hope to see one up top some day. So much history and rarity and should be a no brainer banner especially to anyone who has ever hunted colonial
    Last edited by toasted; Jan 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Favorite finds
    Silver Pomander c. 1700- 17th century buckles- Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Louis XIV 4 Sols- 10 Spanish Cobs- Cut Pistareen-1759 Half Real-colonial silver cufflinks-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink- 1814 Half Real-1827 & 1831 Mexico Republic One Reales-1830 Bust Dime-1852 Gold $1-44 Seated silvers-5 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token- 6 gold rings

Very nice find indeed.

Just one point - ''Schilling'' is German, you mean Shilling which is English.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Dec 2006
    Ocean City, Md
    XP Deus. Have Blisstool V6 but only used once.
    1425 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Well I am voting banner now. Maybe this one will get up there.
    Hawks88 likes this.

MCX
    us
    https://www.talesfromthedesert.com/

Apr 2018
    NV
    39 times
    WOW! Definitely Banner worthy!

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    940 times
    Great bucket-lister of a coin, cut or not. Happy for you and just as jealous. Any MA silver is worthy of banner, IMHO.
    Hawks88 likes this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Running 2019 CRH: Boxes of halves searched: 43; dimes: 2
    Total skunk boxes: 28 halves, 2 dimes
    90% halves from boxes: 29
    40% halves from boxes: 93
    Silver halves from teller trays: 16 - 40% halves
    Coinstar silver: 3 quarters, 1 dime

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9651 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Absolutely beautiful. Great pix, great story, great post !
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    20084 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner job just incredible. We need the story.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    May 2015
    Richmond,Va
    2479 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    So basically story is this is an old farm in Central Virginia which I was told had a mid 1800s homesite on it at one time. While searching a field about 100 yards from the mid 1800s house site the first time I started finding old brick and pottery then started digging 1700s tombac buttons and realized there must have been an earlier house in this field as the mid 1800s house was in another field quite far away I also dug a 1722 Cut Spanish and other colonial relics. So after returning I hit that same field and as mentioned in my post was able to save this in the back part of the field near a hole which appeared to hold remnants of a colonial chimney. This location seems to have had a very old house which has been gone for a very long time as there is no modern trash. One of those dream sites although I returned today and only found a few harmonica reed pieces and a few flat buttons.

us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    7794 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    So basically story is this is an old farm in Central Virginia which I was told had a mid 1800s homesite on it at one time. While searching a field about 100 yards from the mid 1800s house site the first time I started finding old brick and pottery then started digging 1700s tombac buttons and realized there must have been an earlier house in this field as the mid 1800s house was in another field quite far away I also dug a 1722 Cut Spanish and other colonial relics. So after returning I hit that same field and as mentioned in my post was able to save this in the back part of the field near a hole which appeared to hold remnants of a colonial chimney. This location seems to have had a very old house which has been gone for a very long time as there is no modern trash. One of those dream sites although I returned today and only found a few harmonica reed pieces and a few flat buttons.
    Sounds like a great spot. Seems yours could’ve somehow survived into circulation alongside the cut Pistareens of the middle 18th century. I found mine among smaller whole and cut cobs of the circa 1710 time period. Im sure the ocassional cut tree coin was an oddity in everyday transactions especially by this time but was known and accepted when if ever encountered. Finding cut silver is about as good as it can get and a cut tree is even better. Sure a whole one would be nice but so few larger silvers of any kind of this period escaped cutting especially here along the mid Atlantic
    Last edited by toasted; Jan 11, 2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Colonial78 likes this.
    Favorite finds
    Silver Pomander c. 1700- 17th century buckles- Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Louis XIV 4 Sols- 10 Spanish Cobs- Cut Pistareen-1759 Half Real-colonial silver cufflinks-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink- 1814 Half Real-1827 & 1831 Mexico Republic One Reales-1830 Bust Dime-1852 Gold $1-44 Seated silvers-5 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token- 6 gold rings

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8052 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Cut 1652 Massachusetts Oak Tree "spiny tree" schilling

Quote Originally Posted by toasted View Post
    Definitely banner worthy especially considering how few have been posted ever and none have made it. I think this is only the second cut piece posted since I joined in 2015. I really hope to see one up top some day. So much history and rarity and should be a no brainer banner especially to anyone who has ever hunted colonial
    Toasted already knows my feelings on Mass silvers and my BANNER thoughts. This was the first coin ever minted in what would eventually become America. And this coin was minted nearly 100 years prior to that! Ok guys please don’t tell me my math is terrible....Mass silvers were not actually minted in 1652....it was about 30 years later. The circumstances of that alone make these coins so much more interesting. I won’t bore everybody with a long history lesson or go into a comparison of the rarity of a Mass silver next to the majority of gold coins (which I would love to find). But at the end of the day if you believe scarcity, incredible early history, fooling the English and a silver coin with a date that says 1652 is amazing like I do you should all hit the BANNER button. It is so worthy of being at the top for all to enjoy. Just like Toasted’s amazing cut piece and just like any other Mass silver that is pulled from the dirt. I was lucky in the fact that mine was whole and pretty and had a 1664 cob beside it. But these are ALL incredible with a unique story and a very important place in our early history.
    Last edited by Ahab8; Jan 12, 2019 at 04:03 AM.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9651 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Luv this on-going "feel" picture of events. After having returned from a big hunt in VA (which had such plantation-style homestead sites) you can just FEEL the history beneath your feet. And pace-out the perimeters , etc...... Good story.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Nov 2014
    Massachusetts
    Minelab SE pro
    806 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Amazing historical find. Congrats! Banner vote is in.
    Truth1253 likes this.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 William & Mary halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Fernando VI One Reale
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Best spill: 1 Barber Qtr, 4 seated dimes, 1 Barber dime, 1 V nickle
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

us
    May 2015
    Richmond,Va
    2479 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Thankful to hear all this commentary and your knowledge on this coin. I have learned a lot. Fascinating stuff.
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    VA
    587 times

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links