Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging in a colonial field in Central VA and had a pretty scratchy tone however there is little trash so I dig most signals. After it came out of the hole I was sure I had another cut Silver reale as I have dug a few others at this site. After looking at it I noticed the lettering and rope border was different than other old silver I have dug so I inquired about it and got the amazing news its a 1652 Massachusetts Oak Tree Schilling. What a piece of US history. Very fortunate and thrilled to have save this piece from a tractor as it was not very deep.

Attachments

• 20190109_095619.jpg
    20190109_095619.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 824
  • 20190109_095221.jpg
    20190109_095221.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 20190109_095236.jpg
    20190109_095236.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 398
  • 20190109_095206.jpg
    20190109_095206.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 20190109_095152.jpg
    20190109_095152.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 354
  • 20190108_195808.jpg
    20190108_195808.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 20190108_195649.jpg
    20190108_195649.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Resized_20190108_131445_3257.jpeg
    Resized_20190108_131445_3257.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 332
  • FB_IMG_1547049360881.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547049360881.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 115

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding Mass Silver in your location. To find these coins outside of New England is no small accomplishment. Being from New England, I'm as eager to find Mass Silver as anybody. While I share the same enthusiasm as other members on what merits making banner, I would stay your present course, i.e., be thankful for the votes and see what happens. Some say that a cut piece won't make banner; they're probably right. But that doesn't diminish what you've recovered, and I believe you understand that already. My last two Mass Silver finds (2013 & 2017) was a cut Noe-1 Oak Tree shilling and a complete Oak Tree two-pence that was holed. Both finds failed to make banner. Do I think about why they didn't make banner? Definitely not. I think a bit more of their appearance - cut or holed, as they're bittersweet finds. I can't help that, but what I can do is get out there searching for another coin, the ideal coin, relic, of whatever we're all looking to find. And it's all out there waiting for us.

So in regards to what "should" or "definitely" make banner, I understand the passion. But I say enjoy the find and the memory of the moment it was recovered. Anybody who upon the moment of making a tremendous find, thinks, "Ahah, now I can make banner." - that person needs to rethink their motivation.

Congrats on getting there - 1652!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gregg, superb find! I was wondering, likely you know your machine very well but would it be worthwhile to try some different settings while over this piece of land just to see if when tested with slightly different electrical characteristics something else would show up. Just a thougt..............63bkpkr

PS - Banner vote sent

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding Mass Silver in your location. To find these coins outside of New England is no small accomplishment. Being from New England, I'm as eager to find Mass Silver as anybody. While I share the same enthusiasm as other members on what merits making banner, I would stay your present course, i.e., be thankful for the votes and see what happens. Some say that a cut piece won't make banner; they're probably right. But that doesn't diminish what you've recovered, and I believe you understand that already. My last two Mass Silver finds (2013 & 2017) was a cut Noe-1 Oak Tree shilling and a complete Oak Tree two-pence that was holed. Both finds failed to make banner. Do I think about why they didn't make banner? Definitely not. I think a bit more of their appearance - cut or holed, as they're bittersweet finds. I can't help that, but what I can do is get out there searching for another coin, the ideal coin, relic, of whatever we're all looking to find. And it's all out there waiting for us.

So in regards to what "should" or "definitely" make banner, I understand the passion. But I say enjoy the find and the memory of the moment it was recovered. Anybody who upon the moment of making a tremendous find, thinks, "Ahah, now I can make banner." - that person needs to rethink their motivation.

Well said Silver tree chaser.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree 100% and the finds and history are what should be important to people and keep us motivated and passionate....not something scrolling across the computer screen. I just get very confused sometimes to see what goes up and what doesn’t....especially when something checks all of the boxes that make a find amazing. Now where’s that damn NE Shilling hiding????

OP
OP
G

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% and the finds and history are what should be important to people and keep us motivated and passionate....not something scrolling across the computer screen. I just get very confused sometimes to see what goes up and what doesn’t....especially when something checks all of the boxes that make a find amazing. Now where’s that damn NE Shilling hiding????

Totally agree. I am all about saving these amazing pieces of history. Banner is just an added bonus.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My full Oak Tree never made banner, his is only a piece:icon_thumleft:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My full Oak Tree never made banner, his is only a piece:icon_thumleft:

A piece of a tree coin is still a tree coin:icon_scratch: and they all are banner worthy. Few realize the amount of work and luck involved in finally getting one. More luck than work for some

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A piece of a tree coin is still a tree coin:icon_scratch: and they all are banner worthy. Few realize the amount of work and luck involved in finally getting one. More luck than work for some
Thanks toasted

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well said Toasted. I’m not sure what the point of comparing tree coins is???? They are ALL an incredible little piece of history and in my opinion one of the holy grail finds in this hobby. They should all be up top. But you both have one in your collection and that ultimately is the only thing that matters. It just makes me laugh that every single 1877 ih goes up top and I could go on and on....but it’s Sunday morning and we’re getting hammered with about 2’ of snow. So I’m getting into snow removal mode.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck up there Ahab8!

Good comparison with the 1877 IH. I haven't found one of those but about 30 years ago, my hunting partner at the time went into some briars that I lazily passed by - and naturally he pulled out a 1877 in EF condition. IMO, it is only valuable because so few were saved during hard times in the late 1870's - and most, therefore, were lost. Being lost rather than saved means they are move available to treasure hunters. And yes, a Massachusetts tree coin is definitely at the top of my holy grail list.

OP
OP
G

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone advise if this coin has any significant monetary value in.this condition?

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know we are going back a ways on this but this amazing find should have made Banner...just sayin'.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone advise if this coin has any significant monetary value in.this condition?

Very little monetary value Gregg....but high in historical value when you really learn about these Mass silvers.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BillB442

Greenie
Feb 25, 2019
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one incredible find! It still kinda amazes me that they used to cut up coins for change. Could you imagine walking into a store today with 1/4 of a quarter to pay for something? :laughing7:

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great find. One of the cleanest/straight cut I have seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread