This is the White Whale of CW Buttons for this Louisiana Boy!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possum and I went to my permission and being that he just got his Deus I suggested he go to the iron pit where I’ve found 2 Half Dimes and 2 Half Reals and 1443 rusty iron nails. He told me he spoke with Calabash who suggested he put the Deus in 20 kHz in the heavy iron. Now I’ve never taken the 800 out of multi so I said heck I’m gonna try 20 kHz and proceeded to the dreaded iron field that I haven’t found anything else there in 6 months. Well my very first hole was a Civil War Confederate Louisiana Seal Pelican Coat Button!!!!! I couldn’t believe it we where like two school boys who saw a voluptuous woman. Lol I also squeaked out this small flower button and a 2 ringer that also looks special not sure. This is one of the best day of my life. I don’t see a back mark and I’m to scared to to anything else at this time. Any suggestions are always appreciated. I’d like to thank Possum for being there so I could share a once in a lifetime experience with someone and not be alone. Truly a out of body experience. Thank you all and Tnet for giving a platform to share my joy. IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_1610.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 61

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth,

It was an honor to be with you today and see the look on your face and see your excitement when you unearthed that beautiful Louisiana Pelican button!!! To most it may not seem like such a big deal but for us Louisiana boy’s it’s like finding the “Golden Chalice” of buttons.

Most Louisiana troops, as well as other southern state troops were moved to the north to fight where the main part of the war was taking place. One famous group of Louisiana troops were called “Lee’s Tiger’s or Lee's Tiger Brigade” but there were many more sent North, therefore it’s a once in a life time find for most of us down here to unearth a “Pelican Button”, especially one in that great of shape, with beautiful patina and an intact shank.

Therefore, even though most may not agree with me, I’m voting “BANNER” on Truths “Pelican Button” because it’s so hard for us to find them down here, especially in that great of shape. I hope I have the support of those who know how hard Truth hunts and the great finds he posts, but this one is far above and beyond anything he’s posted in the past, at least in my opinion.

Even if he doesn’t get Banner for the “Pelican Button” it’s going to get a “Banner Display” in our fledgling Historical Society that he’s helped me start and has participated in every educational function / event we’ve had displaying what few relics and historical artifacts we have, teaching kid’s as well as adults our hobby and explaining to them what our history was actually about and not what they’re being taught in the schools today. His button will be something these folks can actually see firsthand, an actual confederate artifact that was once worn on the uniform of a Louisiana soldier that was more than likely heading to the north to proudly fight for his state and a cause that he believed in.

Truth, whether or not you get “Banner” here on T-net doesn’t matter in my book, even though I hope you do, because I feel you deserve it, you’ve definitely received banner in my eye’s and once again Congratulations and as I said before it was and honor to be there with you when you unearthed that beautiful Louisiana Pelican Button!!!

“D”

Banner.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth,

It was an honor to be with you today and see the look on your face and see your excitement when you unearthed that beautiful Louisiana Pelican button!!! To most it may not seem like such a big deal but for us Louisiana boy’s it’s like finding the “Golden Chalice” of buttons.

Most Louisiana troops, as well as other southern state troops were moved to the north to fight where the main part of the war was taking place. One famous group of Louisiana troops were called “Lee’s Tiger’s or Lee's Tiger Brigade” but there were many more sent North, therefore it’s a once in a life time find for most of us down here to unearth a “Pelican Button”, especially one in that great of shape, with beautiful patina and an intact shank.

Therefore, even though most may not agree with me, I’m voting “BANNER” on Truths “Pelican Button” because it’s so hard for us to find them down here, especially in that great of shape. I hope I have the support of those who know how hard Truth hunts and the great finds he posts, but this one is far above and beyond anything he’s posted in the past, at least in my opinion.

Even if he doesn’t get Banner for the “Pelican Button” it’s going to get a “Banner Display” in our fledgling Historical Society that he’s helped me start and has participated in every educational function / event we’ve had displaying what few relics and historical artifacts we have, teaching kid’s as well as adults our hobby and explaining to them what our history was actually about and not what they’re being taught in the schools today. His button will be something these folks can actually see firsthand, an actual confederate artifact that was once worn on the uniform of a Louisiana soldier that was more than likely heading to the north to proudly fight for his state and a cause that he believed in.

Truth, whether or not you get “Banner” here on T-net doesn’t matter in my book, even though I hope you do, because I feel you deserve it, you’ve definitely received banner in my eye’s and once again Congratulations and as I said before it was and honor to be there with you when you unearthed that beautiful Louisiana Pelican Button!!!

“D”

Thanks buddy with you and calabash I wouldn’t of got it.

And thank you so much for the kind words my friend [emoji1317]

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find Truth on the Louisiana Pelican button. Beautiful. This is a great Confetrit' piece of History and local History as well. These are very few of these found especially in that kind of shape. You have my vote for Banner fund also.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Killer button!! Being the holder of zero CW buttons (yet) i know I would pop if I found such a beauty, I’ve not seen a lot of the Pelican buttons found on this site so I’m guessing there kind of rare so I’ll toss my hate in the ring for a banner!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t comment much but great find. Being a Louisiana native, I know the pride you felt when you found that button. I found my first pelican button just a couple of months ago. Like looking for a unicorn. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Truth on the Louisiana Pelican button. Beautiful. This is a great Confetrit' piece of History and local History as well. These are very few of these found especially in that kind of shape. You have my vote for Banner fund also.

Thank you so much devildog I appreciate that. I never found buttons from years and years and now I see myself swinging for the relics. Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t comment much but great find. Being a Louisiana native, I know the pride you felt when you found that button. I found my first pelican button just a couple of months ago. Like looking for a unicorn. Congratulations.

Thanks Tigerdude I guess you know the feeling as truly amazing.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button!! A big Congrats!!

Jay Banta

Apr 17, 2018
Biloxi, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is amazing!!! I’ve only seen two now. The other was found by Lane Prater up in Alexandria!! Very good job and congrats!!!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is amazing!!! I’ve only seen two now. The other was found by Lane Prater up in Alexandria!! Very good job and congrats!!!

Thanks Jay I never seen one out here out the ground and I’m so blessed it’s in this condition [emoji1317]

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Do not clean it and you might want to coat it with Elmer's glue. That comes off in water if you want to but since CW buttons can be quite delicate I generally use matt finish polyurethane for my eagle buttons.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. Do not clean it and you might want to coat it with Elmer's glue. That comes off in water if you want to but since CW buttons can be quite delicate I generally use matt finish polyurethane for my eagle buttons.

Great advice Smokey, thanks... "D"

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hell Truth....I'm just glad you're on here to share that puppy with all of us!! Been seeing a few pelican's around here lately. Congrats :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread