Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's getting tougher and tougher to find Civil War relics. These days, anything mentioned in the historical literature has been dug or is off limits, like a park. I have several Civil War sites, and we also find occasional items from homesites. These little guys are from the last 2 day's hunts. It was really windy yesterday, and I do not like the howling winter winds.

View attachment IMG_1476.jpg The first picture is charcoal dug from about a foot underground from a Civil War campfire, with a few pieces of CW beer bottle.

IMG_1477.jpg Two .52 Sharps bullets, one has the cast line on the base, the other does not, a watch winder, two cuff Eagle buttons, two iron underwear buttons, a brass grommet and grommet with stud.

View attachment IMG_1478.jpg Large nail and a couple smaller nails, camp lead and damaged minie ball.

View attachment IMG_1479.jpg Six percussion caps (a tough find), rain poncho grommets, and camp lead.

Tough diggings. The HF 9.5" elliptical coil (the little laser) scored these. For a hunted out camp, not too bad. BTW everything comes out deeply stained RED due to the high iron content soil. I found the easiest way to clean it put in hot hydrogen peroxide, only takes a couple minutes.

Upvote 26
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the iron piece is to a McClellan saddle. The part that drops down on the side to attach the stirrup to, but that's from memory, and my memory is stuck back at Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, you do some more research and eventually you'll get one. I have found three in I think about 2 and a half years now, in 2 different states.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds glad to see you doing so well this year Keep it up!!!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground is frozen hard now and it's snowing.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ground is frozen hard now and it's snowing.

Weather down here this past week was in the 70's for a high, then 40's for a high, then it started raining again, like we need anymore and now the temps went from the 70's again back down to the 50's, but compared to what y'all have to deal with up there I'll take our changing weather all day long compared to snow and ice. Like I told Tommy, come on down our way Smokey, I'm sure you'll find our fluctuating weather much more appealing and I'm sure we can find someplace to go swinging... "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread