Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's getting tougher and tougher to find Civil War relics. These days, anything mentioned in the historical literature has been dug or is off limits, like a park. I have several Civil War sites, and we also find occasional items from homesites. These little guys are from the last 2 day's hunts. It was really windy yesterday, and I do not like the howling winter winds.

View attachment IMG_1476.jpg The first picture is charcoal dug from about a foot underground from a Civil War campfire, with a few pieces of CW beer bottle.

IMG_1477.jpg Two .52 Sharps bullets, one has the cast line on the base, the other does not, a watch winder, two cuff Eagle buttons, two iron underwear buttons, a brass grommet and grommet with stud.

View attachment IMG_1478.jpg Large nail and a couple smaller nails, camp lead and damaged minie ball.

View attachment IMG_1479.jpg Six percussion caps (a tough find), rain poncho grommets, and camp lead.

Tough diggings. The HF 9.5" elliptical coil (the little laser) scored these. For a hunted out camp, not too bad. BTW everything comes out deeply stained RED due to the high iron content soil. I found the easiest way to clean it put in hot hydrogen peroxide, only takes a couple minutes.

Upvote 26

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice as usual. love the watch winder (just way cool) and finding those percussion caps was pretty darn good

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing. That is one of the hardest sites I have ever hunted. You did very well. When someone says they have a iron infested site, They have no clue. HaHa

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they have no clue until they hit the Virginia Red Ground! It's not holy ground, it's holy terror.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The grommet with stud is a broken knapsack hook.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCmatt, you are right. I didn't think about that. We have some whole ones from there, a couple plates, over 100 buttons, but if you look at the physical size of what's coming out now, the bullets are BIG targets.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. I like the old watch key. Congrats

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawks88, that is only the third watch key I have ever found. It was barely 1/2" deep. It was just missed from 50 years of detecting.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collections of finds Smokey, Congrats!!! "D"

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one more piece to photograph from this week's digs. An iron piece to a Union saddle. I think. I thought it was brass at first because it was so clean, but apparently it had been in a fire. It's in the other room. My couch and around the computer looks like a playpen with all the relics getting sorted.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cant wait to see it Smokey and with all the great stuff you've been posting I can certainly visualize all your relics sorted through out your home… LOL, Just keep swinging, I always look forward to your newest set of finds!!! "D"

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possum, I hate to admit it, but I really don't have a lot. If I dumped all the relics (with the exception of the late 17th pig iron I found a couple weeks ago), in a grocery store cloth bag I could carry it. That being said, buttons, coins and percussion caps don't weigh much. But wait! I forgot the minie balls! And the 6 pound solid shot. So...getting the lead out, I could carry everything in a grocery store cloth bag. I have about 300 minies I have dug over the last 8 years or so. Not a whole lot, since we have some Civil War Sites, but...enough to be heavy. I'm not counting American Indian Artifacts either. Oh, never mind. I still have quite a bit. It's all carefully labeled to site and put away, and you know what they say, out of sight out of mind. The GOOD stuff in a safety deposit box at the bank. It's a small sized box!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the IRON item, it's pretty big, about 2.5" long. I just wire brushed it with a brass bristled brush lightly, did nothing else to it. View attachment IMG_1483.jpg

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I really like the winder key! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whyme, I kid you not. It was 1/2" down, maybe. Miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possum, I hate to admit it, but I really don't have a lot. If I dumped all the relics (with the exception of the late 17th pig iron I found a couple weeks ago), in a grocery store cloth bag I could carry it. That being said, buttons, coins and percussion caps don't weigh much. But wait! I forgot the minie balls! And the 6 pound solid shot. So...getting the lead out, I could carry everything in a grocery store cloth bag. I have about 300 minies I have dug over the last 8 years or so. Not a whole lot, since we have some Civil War Sites, but...enough to be heavy. I'm not counting American Indian Artifacts either. Oh, never mind. I still have quite a bit. It's all carefully labeled to site and put away, and you know what they say, out of sight out of mind. The GOOD stuff in a safety deposit box at the bank. It's a small sized box!

Well all in all you may not feel as though you have that much, but what you have is very impressive and I love to hear VF when he talks about trying to keep up with you when y'all hunt!!! LOL What do you think the Iron object is? Some sort of hook or the end of a strap binder? "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions