paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an odd start to 2019. Civil war artifacts are a rarity in my area and in the past few weeks I've been finding them all over! I definitely don't mind, but it's an unexpected trend. I was going over a few more of my pounded sites using the same techniques and I've been able to squeak out some more finds at each one. The token was right next to the foundation and surprisingly was a nice, strong tone.

DSC00942.JPG DSC00944.JPG

It's a patriotic token dated 1863 and with the cannon may be my new favorite! Proportionally I find more of the merchant tokens and the patriotic ones are much more uncommon for me. Fortunately this one's in good shape too. Not to be outdone only a few feet away I find a general service eagle button:

DSC00938.JPG DSC00940.JPG

No backmark, but the style seems to be 1850's-1860's. I also found a nice designed 1830's button and a 1700's tombac. Besides those there were only a few scattered bits since this site really has been hit hard and not just by me:

DSC00946.JPG

The find of the day has to be the heart though. This was at another site and in a section that I've covered before but must have been masked somehow since it's quite a large piece of brass:

DSC00947.JPG DSC00948.JPG

I'm assuming it's a martingale heart since there does appear to be broken mounts on the back. It's thick brass and the front was polished, but the back still has the sand-casting texture. I couldn't find an exact match online, but there's quite a bit of variety to the hearts. Even if I can't directly link it to cavalry, it's still a great find in my book! We have some deep freeze coming our way so hopefully I can squeeze in another hunt or two before the ground becomes rock.

Upvote 24
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :icon_thumleft:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. In the last few years I have been shocked to find out how widely spread the Civil War relics are.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some nice relics

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic token!! Congrats on the finds!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kinda hard to tell if it was associated with the Calvary but still a great save.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda hard to tell if it was associated with the Calvary but still a great save.

I know; from what I gathered online and through other posts, many of the hearts that cavalry men used were privately purchased anyways so unless I found one at say a cavalry camp it would be hard to say with certainty that it was a cavalry martingale heart. Still, I like digging anything horse-tack related so I'm happy with it just being another personal first!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like your starting 2019 out with a bang!!! That token is killer as well as the rest of those great saves, Congrats and thanks for sharing!!! "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread