RARE Rev War Rattlesnake and Eggs Button!!

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
WOW-- I am still excited over this button.

Just got back from my annual Charleston SC trip and I was very fortunate to get over this fantastic button. I got two rare rev war buttons this trip but this one by far out shines anything else that i found on this trip. I will post the other one i get it cleaned a bit more. But it is a SC 2 rev war button. :icon_thumright:

We got on a plantation site and a buddy had walked the woods and found an old home site. He called us in but it was very overgrown with small pines, briars and almost impossible to hunt most of this area. Most everyone else decided to go check out another rev war camp but 3 of us decided to stay back and crawl through the thicket. My first targets were a few flat buttons and then I popped out a copper coin. King George 1773 I think. Need to clean it a bit mreo.

I was working my way through and under some small pines when I got a great signal. I dug it out and it was covered with a thick layer and could not see it. I gave it a wipe and then I saw the "dots" and squiggly line around the outer edge. At first thought it was a flower button. But something looked very familiar but I didn't want to get too excited until I could confirm. I kept looking for the snakes head and then it finally showed through the thick layer of crud. I yelled out to my buddy adn gave a brief description "snake around some dots" and he got pretty excited as he knew right away what I had dig. He worked his way through the thicket over to where I was and he confirmed what I was hoping!! High fives and and a little victory dance!!

A RARE Rattlesnake and Eggs Revolutionary War button. You can see the progression of cleaning. This thing is still loaded with the silver plating. :usflag:

WOW-- I am very excited over this button!! One of my BEST for sure!!

here is some info i lifted off the internet about a similar button.

This button style can be found in Don Troiani and James L. Kochan's Insignia of Independence , page 259, AUS.c. And it states, "Rattlesnake among thirteen eggs. Struck sheet copper, gilded, with eye shank. Found near Charleston, SC. 24mm" The button depicts 13 rattlesnake eggs with the Rattlesnake encircling them in a star formation as if it is protecting them. It should be noted that there are also 13 rattles (or buttons as they're called) on the snakes tail.
These types of Rattlesnake buttons are still commonly believed to be of French import and manufacture.

Even before the Revolution, the rattlesnake was a popular symbol of the American cause. Rattlesnakes are native to North America; they don’t attack unless provoked (a give a warning before attacking even then); and although an individual rattle might not be heard, acting together, the rattles can be heard by all. In 1754 Benjamin Franklin’s Pennsylvania Gazette printed the Join, or Die Flag with the segmented rattlesnake. It was printed to remind delegates at the Albany Congress of the importance of unity among the colonies in light of the impending war with France (French & Indian War). By 1774 the snake was usually shown whole and the motto had become, United Now Alive and Free Firm on this Basis Liberty Shall Stand and Thus Supported Ever Bless Our Land Till Time Becomes Eternity." One example of the united snake was the Culpepper Flag, which was probably based on a design that had been created to protest the Stamp Act called “Rebellious Stripes.” It was one of the first flags used by the American Navy. This flag (or a variation of it) was flown on American ships throughout the Revolution. The Gadsden Flag is a variation of the Don’t Tread on Me Flag. Its field was bright yellow. Designed by Colonel Christopher Gadsden of South Carolina, it was first used in February 1776 by Commander Esek Hopkins, Commander in Chief of the new Continental fleet. The snake motif was also commonly used on the mastheads of Colonial newspapers.
This is an important American treasure and a relic that reminds us of our struggle for Freedom and Liberty and the sacrifice these early Americans made.

Attachments

• IMG_5858.jpg
    IMG_5858.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_5863.jpg
    IMG_5863.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5865.jpg
    IMG_5865.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_5868.jpg
    IMG_5868.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 69

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find ! :occasion14:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow gorgeous button!Always wishing to find one man..

~Blaze~

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!!

If it were to be reproduced today would it have 50 eggs?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great button. I Iove the patriotic rattlesnake buttons and am lucky to have dug two of them. Yours is the fourth variant to appear on T-Net in the last three months or so.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My man that thing is gorgeous! That button is waaaay up there near the top of my lifetime list! I am blown away at the condition! The most amazing thing that can happen in this hobby is to dig something that’s very rare or scare....and to have it come out in amazing condition. It just gets no better than that. Well done buddy. BANNER no doubt

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man o man I gotta go banner on this beauty!! I’ve never seen this specific variety. I think it’s amazing and it all yours!!!! Congratulations

OP
OP
Ron (CA)

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Thanks all. That button is a bucket lister and tops every other rev war button I have dug!! All that silver is the icing on the cake.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, wow, wow. I'm just floored. What a spectacular find.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a spectacular find sir. Wow that’s a beauty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread