Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Today I was with a friend from the metal detecting club in western Washington. We hunted a old torn down neighborhood site that has been overgrown, but I have scored goodies at before. My 12 Canadian silver half dime spill was nearby, as well as v nickels and a sharp barber dime.

Anyways, my pouch was full of beer cans cans and a few bits of sparse modern coinage when I was over my prime target. It didn’t sound awesome, like you hope it would, more like a large pop can target bouncing really high, 34 ish on the equinox. I dug down, pin pointer said it was close. Hand in the hole. Grab the large black caked disk. Quickly thought ‘maybe’. Flipped her around, and saw the eagle on reverse, and instantly knew.

I threw down my gear and ran and grabbed my friend. I was quite happy, and we took some pics, and I shared the new experience swing by swing with him. I did a check on the online red book and saw the 1879 is a great coin if it’s a CC. I thought ‘no way’ and we chuckled at the idea. He had found a few nice bottles and a pocket watch back during his time.

I popped the coin in a special pocket and swung for a hour or so longer. I wanted to get some water on the dollar and look for a mint mark back at the car, so we waddled slowly back and finished our hunt. The water came out quick, and we had a loup. I saw it immediately. But I couldn’t know if it extra wreath making the other c or o shaped blob. Surly two blobs in the correct local meant a CC! I referenced some high res CC photos to confirm and gave a hoot of joy!

I plan on getting it into a ultra sonic cleaner to get the junk off, and then we’ll see how she stands. Thanks everyone!

31E885AE-6A8D-49F1-9089-B8795F4F8364.jpeg
A6EFA990-8838-4CFB-97A4-B66F2586D746.jpeg
943CF032-4870-4A10-B356-E1BFB5BBE098.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 127

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Holy moly Coin Fetcher, that’s a hell of a find around here. Big congrats on what may be the find of the year around here!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW - Congratulations! :hello2::headbang::notworthy:

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate you taking the time to write up that nice story for us. Congratulations on your silver dollar!

Oct 21, 2018
Florida cocoa beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 ,pro find 35, big stainless beach scoop , Root slayer Nomad
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I’m happy for you I wish there was more older stuff here in Florida lol jk I wish I could get out I’m reading about all the great finds but I’m stuck at the hospital for the birth of my first cant wait to get back out I love my equinox it has changed my detecting experience safe to say it paid for its self in the first few hunts....Treasure coast steve

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! isn`t that the holy grail of Morgans? Congrats!!!:notworthy:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Morganroni! That traveled far both in terms of distance and in time! Wonder how it wound up there!? :hello2:

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow awesome silver coin you found. Congrats:occasion14:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I’m happy for you I wish there was more older stuff here in Florida lol jk I wish I could get out I’m reading about all the great finds but I’m stuck at the hospital for the birth of my first cant wait to get back out I love my equinox it has changed my detecting experience safe to say it paid for its self in the first few hunts....Treasure coast steve

Time to start thinking of a ACE 100 perhaps? For your new future detecting buddie.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In-cred-i-ble!! And a “cc” at that. Congratulations on a epic find that we all dream of.

That's a fact Truth, 30yrs, never a "CC" mintmark. VERY nice CoinFetcher.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an amazing find CoinFetcher! We all look for mint marks with silver hoping to see CC . You hit it with a big ole silver. Congrats and show more when you clean her up. HH

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an amazing find

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s awesome, great job, congrats!!!!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! A CC anything is on my bucket list!

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Morgan, I dug my first one this past week as well, no CC though. Great find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread