Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I didn't find it in the ground! I purchased a chest of drawers, at least a 50 year old kind some time ago. Well, over the week I finally took absolutely everything out of it, and took all the drawers out, moved it around, and spotted this ring lying in the very bottom. This style I believe is 1940's or so. It is marked 14k. Gold is where you find it.

There was so much dust in there... IMG_1508.JPG

Upvote 46

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, that’s a great find and history. When I was very young, my parents would take me to San Francisco for a summmer vacation. We would visit Playland and ride the cable cars. There was a Woolworth’s store on the corner of Market and Powell Street. We were allowed to ride the escalators and watch the orange juice machine make orange juice. For a young boy, the City was amazing fun. Your post brought back memories. Thank you.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey I think you could find treasure anywhere!!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We didn't make it to a larger town but two or three times a year, the high light was the Woolworth soda fountain and a sandwich. QUOTE=smokeythecat;6064499]I also found a shopping bag, a little one, the old kind from a place called "Irvin's". What I found from them they were in business in 1938. NOBODY ever cleaned out the bottom of the dresser. I kept the little bag. I used to LOVE the old Ames Stores and the F. W. Woolworth, Co. Man, their restaurant there could make roast turkey like nobody's business.[/QUOTE]

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I didn't find it in the ground! I purchased a chest of drawers, at least a 50 year old kind some time ago. Well, over the week I finally took absolutely everything out of it, and took all the drawers out, moved it around, and spotted this ring lying in the very bottom. This style I believe is 1940's or so. It is marked 14k. Gold is where you find it.

There was so much dust in there... View attachment 1672386
You my dear, are a gold magnet.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey, that is GREAT! WTG man!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold magnet? The furniture does NOT count. Anyway, remember I only got 2 gold items in 2018. 2017 was much better. I spent ALL afternoon with Vferrari at the ocean today. We each got 2 cents...The area has been bulldozed but there is 20' of sand in place. They were rebuilding dunes and didn't leave us much, ancient silver, coppers and gold coins show up there.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all of metal detecting offers gold, diamonds, rubies & a pearl but then, down deep inside, the cat knows that. Sometimes its easier to catch a 2 cent copper mouse than anything of real value. I think it is called practice..........63bkpkr

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be the only ring I have seen where I would consider scrapping, it’s just beautiful and hideous at the same time. Either way a huge Congrats is in order

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold magnet? The furniture does NOT count. Anyway, remember I only got 2 gold items in 2018. 2017 was much better. I spent ALL afternoon with Vferrari at the ocean today. We each got 2 cents...The area has been bulldozed but there is 20' of sand in place. They were rebuilding dunes and didn't leave us much, ancient silver, coppers and gold coins show up there.

Well it's not that you each found just 2 cents, it's that you took the time to show Vferrari the in and outs of detecting...…….Oh Jeeze, just kidding V.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, V knows what he's doing but he had never hunted this site. The first time I went I went by directions in a BOOK. I detected it for 5 months before I found anything good, then came a hurricane and I got some very, very nice 18th century coins, including my first gold coin. Plus it's just not fun to go by yourself anymore.

Beautiful and hideous! Priceless! Back when it was made, probably 1930's or 1940's it would have been right in style!

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an earring along time ago that matches that ring

2014-11-15 14.36.27.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat, I was thinking along the same lines, back when it was made it was in style. Since it is made with Actual Real Stones it likely has a makers mark inside. Would it be possible to trace it back to see if it was a "store model" or if it was a custom design for one customer?? They might also be able to give you a more accurate manufacturing date for it. If it were a custom order they may also be willing to give the name?

I suspect that somewhere that ring is Desirable, finding that location might add significantly to its actual street value?? A good adventure...............63bkpkr

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toddbbq, how odd is that!!!!! Cool! It is marked "EM 14K" inside. Nothing else. Whoever owned it loved it, the shank is quite worn.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat - nice adder there that the shank shows heavy use! I'm surprised as I'd think the pearl would snag/hang up on quite a few things but, maybe it is so smooth it just glides right on by.

toddbbq - does your ear ring have a makers mark, does it happen to be ER??................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions