GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back this morning to the site where I've been digging a few eagle buttons and a few coins. At first the ground was only giving up shotgun shells. I later moved to another portion of the field and dug this dime. Within twenty feet of it, I recovered both of the copper arrowheads. It's likely this site was occupied during more than one time period. I believe these type points were in use well before 1835. This coin is reaching back pretty far into this areas history. The county in which it was found was established in 1825.

Attachments

• Lee Co. Ga. 1-19-19 (2).JPG
    Lee Co. Ga. 1-19-19 (2).JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 312
  • Lee Co. Ga. 1-19-19 (1).JPG
    Lee Co. Ga. 1-19-19 (1).JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Lee Co. Ga. 1-19-19 (3).JPG
    Lee Co. Ga. 1-19-19 (3).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 56
OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have been missing these arrowheads. Probably thought they were spikes of some sort!

Nice! Thanks for the edumacation! :tongue3:

If you find something similar, please post it. Someone will ID for you.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful dime there! amazing shape for being 184 years old, congrats!:headbang:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is an incredible day. I'm not sure which find would make me more excited. The dime looks incredible but the copper arrowheads tell an amazing story. I have yet to find either of those items but I hope to someday! Congrats!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one beautiful coin. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing display and great hunt That is really cool!!!!!!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some more pictures of other copper points that I have found in the past. In the group picture, the object on the right I would consider as a possible tinkler because it has not got a sharp point. The rest of them I would consider as arrowheads.

Sorry it took me a while to get back.
Makes sense to me. Mine are blunt, likely tinklers. Those are great finds, I’m voting banner.

7F300C0E-B229-45A5-9BD7-277B6F1C46DC.jpeg

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like copper arrowheads to me. Did you find them with a detector or are they eyeball finds. If you haven’t already, I would suggest that you hunt the area with a metal detector. Could be other items of interest waiting to be found. Good luck!

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know Jim, it's one thing to find the dime. Another to find the copper arrowheads. Why didn't you just go ahead and dig a red Ryan and a Confederate teapot while you were at it? Geez...:laughing7:

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know Jim, it's one thing to find the dime. Another to find the copper arrowheads. Why didn't you just go ahead and dig a red Ryan and a Confederate teapot while you were at it? Geez...:laughing7:

As you might imagine I was back out there this afternoon but, only pulled two flat buttons, a small ball button, and a small brass buckle.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dime is a beauty. As far back as you can go in your area. That is pretty satisfying when metal detecting. The coper points on the other hand can date back way further or could be trade Any Idea what culture I am guessing outside the range for the copena.hopewillian? Congrats on another nice hunt!

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dime is a beauty. As far back as you can go in your area. That is pretty satisfying when metal detecting. The coper points on the other hand can date back way further or could be trade Any Idea what culture I am guessing outside the range for the copena.hopewillian? Congrats on another nice hunt!

These are from the late 1790s -early 1800s and are trade items from the Lower Creek Indians. We are finding other relics with them. knifes, musket balls, gun parts, etc.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those look like copper arrowheads to me. Did you find them with a detector or are they eyeball finds. If you haven’t already, I would suggest that you hunt the area with a metal detector. Could be other items of interest waiting to be found. Good luck!
they were eyeball finds and I plan on getting back there some day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread