Started with a Bucket Lister & Ended with a Morgan Dollar

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all!

Despite the bad weather here I decided to head up to my 1886 permission today to see if it was detectable. The good news is, a lot of it isnā€™t covered in too much snow.

Hereā€™s a look:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549512905.453579.jpg

Some areas were covered in 4 inches, others completely bare.

I started off finding some wheats and tax tokens which is always a good way to get rolling. Then, about halfway through the hunt I got a whispery signal down deep. I popped the plug and had to keep going. I stuck the shovel down again and saw a dark disc pop up to the top of the hole.

I immediately recognized that it was too big to be a quarter and was hoping I might have a cool token. Then I looked closely and saw that itā€™s an old Canadian Large Cent. Too cool! Iā€™ve always wanted to find one. In fact, itā€™s on my list of 30 things this year Iā€™m looking for so Iā€™ve now found 2 of the 30 (aiming for 9).

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513175.406618.jpg

Then I got to a place of the yard where there just werenā€™t many signals and those that were there were mostly trash. After 4 hours total of hunting I couldnā€™t feel my toes or fingers and the sun was setting so I figured it was time to head home.

I was detecting back to the car (always do this!) and got a 12-42 at 4 inches in the area of the yard where I found the wheats and tax tokens earlier. It sounded like a coin and I was just hoping I might get a silver dime. Iā€™d been thinking in my head that this would be my first trip to that permission without a silver coin.

I dig down to 4 inches. Nothing. Remove one more inch of dirt and BAM! Thereā€™s a big, silver, reeded edge sticking straight up out of the hole. I was praying that it wouldnā€™t be one of those stupid General Mills Olympics tokens from the 90s (already got fooled by one of those in this yard) and was so pumped to see an Eagle when I pulled it out.

My brain temporarily broke when I saw the reverse and I thought ā€œoh sick, a peace dollarā€. Then I flipped it over and realized it was an 1883 Morgan! I started praying it would be CC and flipped it over to find an S. Still, no disappointment here. Itā€™s now my oldest silver (still looking for that elusive Seated) and definitely the best looking of my 3 Morgans

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513556.084384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513572.183173.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513581.083506.jpg

Here are some photos of some of my better finds from the outing!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513607.367689.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513621.200538.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513633.318077.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep after it folks. You never know when youā€™re gonna find the next big one!
-W

Upvote 76

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, a proper Morgan dollar with good details and no corrosion. That has got to feel great!

I'll tell you something. After I found 3 Morgan silver dollars, then I found my first gold coin. I'm just saying...
Wow, I hope I follow your pattern ! I have 3 Morgans also. Maybe I'm up for a gold coin this year. Great find Washingtonian. You just cant beat pulling a coin like that.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the Morgan. Silver dollar is still on my bucket list. Keep swingin.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent! Beautiful coins! Congratulations!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the quantity, quality, and age, of the targets that you find, I often think that you are hunting on the East Coast.
Congrats my man

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Awesome find! great, now I have another one to add to the to do list!:BangHead:

Itā€™ll happen eventually! I think the key to finding something like this is to hunt areas that havenā€™t been touched before. Not sure there will be many silver dollars left in well pounded parks.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congrats brother! I believe that is your third silver dollar. Whoa.

So awesome.

Thanks CT! Iā€™m in shock. Midway through that hunt yesterday I was thinking ā€œI wonder if Iā€™ll ever find another silver dollar againā€. Well, there you go!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That Morgan sure beats the Natural Light can that I dug at a foot down just before dark yesterday!

Oh man, ya, theyā€™re so tricky because they are big targets. Basically the same size as a can lid. Keep after it!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow, I hope I follow your pattern ! I have 3 Morgans also. Maybe I'm up for a gold coin this year. Great find Washingtonian. You just cant beat pulling a coin like that.

Thank you. Good luck to you in your efforts, I hope you get that gold coin!!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
For the quantity, quality, and age, of the targets that you find, I often think that you are hunting on the East Coast.
Congrats my man

Thatā€™s probably the nicest compliment anyone has ever paid me on TNet! Thank you so much. Iā€™m focusing more on older sites this year. Lots of 1800s things on my bucket list. There arenā€™t a lot of them around here but they do exist if you look hard enough and drive far enough!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She a beauty, Wash! šŸ˜± NICE work! Keep 'em coming! šŸ™Œ

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations buddy. Canadian large sensor find a dig, and you know the thrill of a Morgan.

Donā€™t worry youā€™ll dig up a Carson City Morgan some day. Wait, will you? :)

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW very nice big silver!! Mmmm the force is strong in this one!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't found a silver dollar yet, just Walkers so far. But always have to wonder about the person losing the coin, that was a lot of money back then. you know they had to look hard for that thing and you just now found it, after all of these years. way cool on both coins. congrats from the wetlands of Arkansas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread