Started with a Bucket Lister & Ended with a Morgan Dollar

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey all!

Despite the bad weather here I decided to head up to my 1886 permission today to see if it was detectable. The good news is, a lot of it isnā€™t covered in too much snow.

Hereā€™s a look:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549512905.453579.jpg

Some areas were covered in 4 inches, others completely bare.

I started off finding some wheats and tax tokens which is always a good way to get rolling. Then, about halfway through the hunt I got a whispery signal down deep. I popped the plug and had to keep going. I stuck the shovel down again and saw a dark disc pop up to the top of the hole.

I immediately recognized that it was too big to be a quarter and was hoping I might have a cool token. Then I looked closely and saw that itā€™s an old Canadian Large Cent. Too cool! Iā€™ve always wanted to find one. In fact, itā€™s on my list of 30 things this year Iā€™m looking for so Iā€™ve now found 2 of the 30 (aiming for 9).

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513175.406618.jpg

Then I got to a place of the yard where there just werenā€™t many signals and those that were there were mostly trash. After 4 hours total of hunting I couldnā€™t feel my toes or fingers and the sun was setting so I figured it was time to head home.

I was detecting back to the car (always do this!) and got a 12-42 at 4 inches in the area of the yard where I found the wheats and tax tokens earlier. It sounded like a coin and I was just hoping I might get a silver dime. Iā€™d been thinking in my head that this would be my first trip to that permission without a silver coin.

I dig down to 4 inches. Nothing. Remove one more inch of dirt and BAM! Thereā€™s a big, silver, reeded edge sticking straight up out of the hole. I was praying that it wouldnā€™t be one of those stupid General Mills Olympics tokens from the 90s (already got fooled by one of those in this yard) and was so pumped to see an Eagle when I pulled it out.

My brain temporarily broke when I saw the reverse and I thought ā€œoh sick, a peace dollarā€. Then I flipped it over and realized it was an 1883 Morgan! I started praying it would be CC and flipped it over to find an S. Still, no disappointment here. Itā€™s now my oldest silver (still looking for that elusive Seated) and definitely the best looking of my 3 Morgans

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513556.084384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513572.183173.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513581.083506.jpg

Here are some photos of some of my better finds from the outing!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513607.367689.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513621.200538.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549513633.318077.jpg

Thanks for looking and keep after it folks. You never know when youā€™re gonna find the next big one!
-W

Upvote 76
OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Congratulations buddy. Canadian large sensor find a dig, and you know the thrill of a Morgan.

Donā€™t worry youā€™ll dig up a Carson City Morgan some day. Wait, will you? :)

After seeing your post last week I had my fingers crossed this would be the one. Unfortunately not this time!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Haven't found a silver dollar yet, just Walkers so far. But always have to wonder about the person losing the coin, that was a lot of money back then. you know they had to look hard for that thing and you just now found it, after all of these years. way cool on both coins. congrats from the wetlands of Arkansas

Thanks DL, you've done great down there. If you keep hitting late 1800s/early 1900s spots I bet you'll get one!

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had an amazing day for sure. Congrats

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you killed it with that hunt. Congrats. I have yet to find a Morgan or a Peace dollar in 40 plus years of MDing, but I have found several seated's.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That's an awesome coin Washingtonian!! Morgan on my BL! Only a couple Peace Dollars found so far (25 years apart:BangHead:)

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Man you killed it with that hunt. Congrats. I have yet to find a Morgan or a Peace dollar in 40 plus years of MDing, but I have found several seated's.

Keep after it! I bet it'll happen eventually. Strangely, all 3 of mine have come from different areas; a beach, a sidewalk strip, and now a yard. Good luck!

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henceforth you shall be known as Mister Morgan. I mean, seriously, this is dream find to top the previous 2!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Henceforth you shall be known as Mister Morgan. I mean, seriously, this is dream find to top the previous 2!

Haha thanks Mike! It's been a wild year, no doubt about it. Wouldn't have found my first without you!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
FAN DOLLAR TASTIC! The old canada cent is very cool as well.

Hey, I've dug three morgans as well. Sure hope the fella with the gold coin story is a good sign!

HH ALL

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just try and explain the excitement and joy of pulling something like that out of the ground to someone who doesn't MD or appreciate history; like my wife!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
FAN DOLLAR TASTIC! The old canada cent is very cool as well.

Hey, I've dug three morgans as well. Sure hope the fella with the gold coin story is a good sign!

HH ALL

Letā€™s hope so!! šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ¤žšŸ¼

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Just try and explain the excitement and joy of pulling something like that out of the ground to someone who doesn't MD or appreciate history; like my wife!

[emoji23][emoji23] I told my wife I found a silver dollar yesterday. She responded ā€œgood jobā€. I then told her I didnā€™t think she appreciated how hard that is to do. Her response? ā€œUh huhā€ hahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread