Round disc with letters, symbols

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Steve and I went to a neat old stone chimney site today. The land looked pristine--never been detected to our knowledge, and our mouths were watering as we turned on our detectors.
Three hours later we had a nice collection of shotgun shell brass, fruit jar lids, small bits of lead, and not much else except sore backs.
On the way out though I spotted a spring coming out of the side of a bank and decided to detect it. Almost immediately I got a hit of 91. I got excited since most stuff in this range on my detector is silver! Instead out came this heavy brass or bronze disc with letters and symbols on it. I haven't a clue what it is unless it's a scale weight, but I would love to hear from you regarding any other ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6745.JPG
    IMG_6745.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6747.JPG
    IMG_6747.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
Upvote 11
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Steve and I went to a neat old stone chimney site today. The land looked pristine--never been detected to our knowledge, and our mouths were watering as we turned on our detectors.
Three hours later we had a nice collection of shotgun shell brass, fruit jar lids, small bits of lead, and not much else except sore backs.
On the way out though I spotted a spring coming out of the side of a bank and decided to detect it. Almost immediately I got a hit of 91. I got excited since most stuff in this range on my detector is silver! Instead out came this heavy brass or bronze disc with letters and symbols on it. I haven't a clue what it is unless it's a scale weight, but I would love to hear from you regarding any other ideas. Thanks!

I should have done this first-look under similar threads! I think there's one there very similar to the one I found today. It's a scale weight of some sort I think.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't a clue although my first thoughts were of some type of balance weight for a very old and large Grandfather type clock. The disk does have a Maker's mark and possibly Proofing marks and hopefully someone will be able to identify the Maker's and Proof marks and what the item actually is.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I haven't a clue although my first thoughts were of some type of balance weight for a very old and large Grandfather type clock. The disk does have a Maker's mark and possibly Proofing marks and hopefully someone will be able to identify the Maker's and Proof marks and what the item actually is.

Thank you for your input!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is known as a Georgian Pan-Weight, or sometimes a trade weight.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. You are very lucky with those full set of Verification marks that are in a perfect position for full ID;

London (UK)
George I period

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't know it had a name--thanks!

Wow-that's early too. Didn't have a clue it was that old!
Yeap, I've not seen many posted before from this early period, most are Geo III & IV

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! Well worth the 3 hour hunt! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread