It's discoveries like this that really hurt my heart.

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the highlights.... and lowlights (is that a word? It should be) of my most recent trip.. I post videos rather than photos because I'm a video producer and that's my forte. For those uninterested or too busy for the video: I went metal detecting at an area on Padre Island called Newport Pass. I was having a hard time of it, only finding a few pennies. Then I found the worst example of litter I have every seen on my island. Even the massive spring break crowds don't leave messes his extraordinary. I was only able to pick up a small fraction of the mess, but even then I ended up removing 125 cans and 13 glass bottle from the sand. It really hurts my heart seeing this kind of complete disregard for both nature and your fellow human.

Upvote 15

randywa

Sep 29, 2017
S.W. Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people are *******s they rarely pass up a chance to prove it. Nice job on the clean up, but I'm sorry you needed to.

randywa

Sep 29, 2017
S.W. Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people are a**holes they rarely pass up a chance to prove it. Nice job on the clean up, but I'm sorry you needed to.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame....probably all alcohol containers!

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame....probably all alcohol containers!

99% of them were alcohol, yes. Some of them weren't even open, leading me to believe they intentionally dumped out their ice chests. It wasn't a matter of being too lazy to clean up. It was absolutely intentional dumping.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely a shame for people to leave trash like this. Is there no law enforcement around that area?

I will add you did a excellent job producing and editing the video.
Good job.:thumbsup:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice video, too bad people have to be that way. Can u Imagine how they probably live, disgusting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I hear ya good job doing what you did!!!!!

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one will ever understand how a human can be that lame to leave such a mess! Here in Michigan, they have decided to ban any form of alcohol on three rivers that are heavily used by fisherman and seasoned litterbugs. Here's what is about to be enforced here in 2019;

https://www.record-eagle.com/news/l...cle_63dd67f8-4c1a-57d9-b069-cc619c432fb0.html

That might help with safety on the water by having fewer drunk and disorderly people, but I doubt it'll have much effect on litter. Littering itself is already illegal, yet that does nothing to stop these filthy good-for-nothings. Even if they don't bring beer now, soda cans, candy wrappers, water bottles... etc... will be littered all over the place.

Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who offered kind words on the video. I really appreciate the support. I've been editing for going on 20 years now, yet it still puts a big smile on my face to get compliments on my work. Thanks gang.

As for the content of the video, I just hope that I'm doing a little leading by example. If just a handful of viewers get inspired to do their own clean up then we will all benefit!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might help with safety on the water by having fewer drunk and disorderly people, but I doubt it'll have much effect on litter. Littering itself is already illegal, yet that does nothing to stop these filthy good-for-nothings. Even if they don't bring beer now, soda cans, candy wrappers, water bottles... etc... will be littered all over the place.

Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Actually, now the proposed regulation to ban alcohol on these three rivers might be cancelled due to the outcry from the public. Since recreational marijuana has been legalized in Michigan, look out. Should be a real zoo on the rivers now. Michigan might have to change the state motto from, Pure Michigan" to "What the Heck Happened?"

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
Good job cleaning up the mess.

A problem with banning alcohol is that people will just get rid of the evidence to avoid getting caught with it. That's one reason you see so many beer cans and nip bottles scattered along the side of the road. Unintended consequences.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate that. I used to hunt a few different beaches in NYC. At one particular beach, the tide would go out about 200 yards at low tide. I would sometimes recover glass bottles (broken as well as unbroken) There are no glass containers of any kind allowed on public beaches in NYC. Sadly, there is no enforcement either

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate that. I used to hunt a few different beaches in NYC. At one particular beach, the tide would go out about 200 yards at low tide. I would sometimes recover glass bottles (broken as well as unbroken) There are no glass containers of any kind allowed on public beaches in NYC. Sadly, there is no enforcement either

The exact same thing is true of Padre Island and Mustang Island. Glass containers are prohibited. It's a difficult thing to enforce. You can't search everyone before they go on the beach, and people can see LEO's coming a mile away on a wide open beach, so they just stash the bottle till the officer is gone. Littering of any kind has got to be the most difficult law to enforce. Which is why there is so much litter out there. It's so easy to get away with.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice clean up job! :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice clean up job! :occasion14:

Thank you, kindly. I'm a huge believer in leaving it better than I found it. Sometimes that means giving up all my planned activities. Is what it is. There's always next weekend for fun!

Thanks for watching.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job making the location cleaner. This in part is what makes our hobby so rewarding. I tell my grandchildren when they hunt with me, that we always leave the area cleaner than we found it. We have an opportunity to set a great example for others.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT job on the clean-up, and great video.. im on vacation at Panama City Beach and I sent the ATP down with the snowbird in-laws in December. While there is an amazing number of cans, pull-tabs and bottle caps...the number of water bottle caps is absolutely STAGGERING...I see what seems at least one every swing...and there are trash cans every couple hundred feet or so. Sickening...don't even ask how many I picked up or how many times I emptied the junk pouch, because I lost count. Idk...MAYBE someone saw me and took note..doubt it tho but at least I left it cleaner than I found it. Great video, thx for sharing, Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread