paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed a short hunt on Friday at the cellar hole that produced all those civil war tokens. The warm week melted all the snow but the ground was still pretty solid in most places. I managed a good number of relics that I had missed in iron infested spots so I'm sure there's still more even after this hunt:

DSC00969.JPG

The DM & Co padlock was a surprise since it's a rare find for me and this is the second from this site. I may try tumbling this one to see how it looks and to decide if that's the way to go with future padlock finds.

I also found a number of buttons including one tombac that still has an almost mirror finish. It's crazy how well those tombacs do in the ground compared to the other alloys:

DSC00973.JPG

The real find of the day though was a 2-coin pocket spill. I had just dug and removed a chunk of iron and I re-scanned the area when a tight 78 signal turned up. I pulled out a copper-nickel IHP and was about the refill the hole when I got a beep in the leaf litter. It must have fallen out of the dirt and it took me a while to find it since it was so small it stuck to a leaf and I kept shifting it around. I thought it was a trime at first, but a quick rinse revealed a seated half dime!

DSC00974.JPG DSC00975.JPG

Believe it or not with all my hunts this is only my third seated coin. It ended up being in great shape and after cleaning it turns out that both coins are 1859 which is quite the coincidence! I looked it up and the 1859-P half dime is a scarce date with only 340,000 minted. That's less than half as many as there were 1877 IHPs, but there are a bunch of ultra-rare half dime dates so this one is actually not worth all that much. Still, it's in fantastic shape and any US silver from around the civil war is unusual so I'm happy. I do hope this means there's more silver hiding around this cellar!

DSC00978.JPG

There was one mystery piece that I'm hoping you guys can help me with. It's very intriguing and I haven't seen anything like it before:

DSC00970.JPG DSC00971.JPG DSC00972.JPG

The material is brass and two loops on the back are intact while it looks like a third loop was broken. It reminds me or a cloak clasp but I've never seen one in the shape of a fist and the wrist has a chain mail like motif to it. If anyone knows what it is I'm very curious to hear.

The night after this hunt the ground froze up again so I'll be out of commission for a while. Hopefully we have an early spring and I can get back out there!

Upvote 33

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice hunt with some nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Very nice!!

Looks like part of a military decoration piece?

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the half dime and other finds. I'm like your when it comes to seated silver. Even though I have found 69 Spanish silvers, 2 Draped Bust Dimes, 2 Capped Bust silvers, and dozens of Barber silvers....I have only found 3 Seated silvers in 30 years.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That is one sweet half dime! Congratulations and Good Luck next time out on that site!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the half dime and other finds. I'm like your when it comes to seated silver. Even though I have found 69 Spanish silvers, 2 Draped Bust Dimes, 2 Capped Bust silvers, and dozens of Barber silvers....I have only found 3 Seated silvers in 30 years.

Oh good so it's not just me! :laughing7: I think at the moment my Spanish silver to seated ratio is 3:1 which seemed bonkers, but I guess it's just what ground you tend to cover.

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I managed a short hunt on Friday at the cellar hole that produced all those civil war tokens. The warm week melted all the snow but the ground was still pretty solid in most places. I managed a good number of relics that I had missed in iron infested spots so I'm sure there's still more even after this hunt:

View attachment 1679834

The DM & Co padlock was a surprise since it's a rare find for me and this is the second from this site. I may try tumbling this one to see how it looks and to decide if that's the way to go with future padlock finds.

I also found a number of buttons including one tombac that still has an almost mirror finish. It's crazy how well those tombacs do in the ground compared to the other alloys:

View attachment 1679836

The real find of the day though was a 2-coin pocket spill. I had just dug and removed a chunk of iron and I re-scanned the area when a tight 78 signal turned up. I pulled out a copper-nickel IHP and was about the refill the hole when I got a beep in the leaf litter. It must have fallen out of the dirt and it took me a while to find it since it was so small it stuck to a leaf and I kept shifting it around. I thought it was a trime at first, but a quick rinse revealed a seated half dime!

View attachment 1679837 View attachment 1679838

Believe it or not with all my hunts this is only my third seated coin. It ended up being in great shape and after cleaning it turns out that both coins are 1859 which is quite the coincidence! I looked it up and the 1859-P half dime is a scarce date with only 340,000 minted. That's less than half as many as there were 1877 IHPs, but there are a bunch of ultra-rare half dime dates so this one is actually not worth all that much. Still, it's in fantastic shape and any US silver from around the civil war is unusual so I'm happy. I do hope this means there's more silver hiding around this cellar!

View attachment 1679844

There was one mystery piece that I'm hoping you guys can help me with. It's very intriguing and I haven't seen anything like it before:

View attachment 1679842 View attachment 1679845 View attachment 1679846

The material is brass and two loops on the back are intact while it looks like a third loop was broken. It reminds me or a cloak clasp but I've never seen one in the shape of a fist and the wrist has a chain mail like motif to it. If anyone knows what it is I'm very curious to hear.

The night after this hunt the ground froze up again so I'll be out of commission for a while. Hopefully we have an early spring and I can get back out there!

Your mystery piece with 2 loops is part of a colonial cloak piece the chain would connect to the loops,

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some goodies there, but that half-dime is awesome. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt thats how we do it

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Really nice seated! Great detail! Nice LC too! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds that metal fist is awesome! It's tough to beat a half dime in such great condition! I have not found one yet. It's strange how different people find different stuff... Last year I found two seated dimes within two months of each other yet I have not found a barber dime yet!!! I have found way more large cents than indian head cents as well. That's fine by me though as I love the big coppers. Spanish silver... found 1 half reale compared to one Morgan doller… it's a bit of apples to oranges in comparison, but it is what it is... you never know what you'll find I think that is what is so exciting about this detecting thing we all do.

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
Good hunt .
Really like the padlock .
Hope it cleans up well . :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the goodies, especially the old coins! :occasion14:

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't tell all the details, but a seated half dime worth $45.00 - $80.00 is nothing to sneeze about :icon_thumleft: Congratulations on your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread