Spanish Cobb/Cannon Ball, Buttons, coins, round ball & more. ID HELP!

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know it has been a few days since my last thread, but things around here have been Nuts. Rainy day so I was able to clean and prepare the last couple of days in the old plantation field where I have been scouting for old colonial home sites. Nails, silver coin and buttons came up first. Moved on and began to find rolled up camp lead, then buttons, then coins, round balls, more round balls, more coins, lead and pieces that I had no idea of and then the cannon ball. Then the George II coin fallowed by the cut silver, what appears to be an old nut of some kind and then the Spanish Cobb. Enjoy the photos. 11 - 1 (38).jpg This lead disk is the size of a silver dollar and was found rolled up, saw design and had to open and flatten out. Can you see an Eagle?
11 - 1 (39).jpg This is an unknown to me but very interesting. Maybe one of you cannon guys know? Same with the next three pics.
11 - 1 (40).jpg 11 - 1 (41).jpg 11 - 1 (42).jpg
This next photo is a large round lead disk 11 - 1 (43).jpg Dirty cannon ball 11 - 1 (44).jpg 4 lbs. 3 oz and 3.1 inches. French supplied to Continental Army? Round balls with spurs 11 - 1 (45).jpg Copper button 11 - 1 (46).jpg small rolled lead before unrolling. 11 - 1 (47).jpg Some of the button backs were like this 11 - 1 (48).jpg Very interesting round bronze disk with writing? 11 - 1 (49).jpg
George II front and back 11 - 1 (50).jpg 11 - 1 (51).jpg and Spanish Cobb front and back 11 - 1 (52).jpg 11 - 1 (53).jpg
Hope you enjoy looking. Please let me know if you can ID any of the unknown items.

Upvote 31
OP
OP
S

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, let me show you them together for size relations 11 - 1 (37).jpg

OP
OP
S

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh, the object at the top is what I believe to be a flag holder for a person carry the flag. I found one a couple of years ago that was pewter and the piece to the left of the large round disk looks like the piece on the end of a pole that would light off the cannon. Maybe the Cannon is still there???

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point you will want to start taking suggestions for reference websites to look at and books to buy. You are in a multi component area with very early Colonial era history. You have some very early black glass fragments and beautiful strap buckles. The cob is very nice, but coins are childs play when dealing with such interesting and early relics. Learn those ceramics, and how different types of buttons are manufactured.

You will enjoy it much more if you learn what this early stuff is before you recover it. A copy of member Bill Dancy's book would aid you tremendously although I know it is already out of print. Here is a link for the Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution:
https://www.amazon.com/Collectors-Illustrated-Encyclopedia-American-Revolution/dp/0960566686

Those are very historic fields. Get ya some books. You are jumping into the deep end.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks DGLOO, that's a mouth full, I just ordered it. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very cool finds! Nice cobs too! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word about your items / hunt...

Stellar.

BTW... the answer is yes... to your ball.

Your lead item IMO is a "game piece".

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome recoveries! should be a lot more at that site. nice cob, still on my wish list.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible you just found an entire museum display! The item in the upper right of the photo with multiple items: the one that is a half sphere with a rim around the bottom... and the one with the "nipple like" dot in the center. Those look like colonial era bit boss or bridle boss. I think those are pretty cool. Cannon ball and cobb would be finds of a lifetime for me! You need to detect that place til you can't find any more! Congrats!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how I missed this thread! What a great assortment of finds. Fortunately, there are some great reference books out there for artifacts from excavations in the Williamsburg to Jamestown areas by some of the top colonial archaeologists.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you really hit the jackpot! Congrats on the awesome saves :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow amazing finds thanks for sharing em I would love to hunt a site like that Well done

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish Cobb/Cannon Ball, Buttons, coins, round ball & more. ID HELP!

Really nice to get a clear date on the cob. Those are some very very nice finds with good age to them

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread