2nd Barber half for 2019, off to a good start

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of frost in the ground, so I was heading across some flattened weeds to get to the woods to detect. Off course, I got a good 12-46 reading on my CTX3030,right where the frost was heavy in the field. 3-4 inches of heavy frost and 10 min. later, I finally pulled the plug.. in the dirt was a blacked Barber half dollar 1907 S.... Had to clean it with electrolysis and salt water. Also found an ox knob.

2-12-19.png

2-12-19-1.png

2-12-19-4.png

Attachments

• 2-12-19-1.png
    2-12-19-1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • 2-12-19-3.png
    2-12-19-3.png
    886.5 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 39

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Basssmann. I'd say your off to a good start. She cleaned up real nice.

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice indeed! You either know what you're doing or got lucky? I found a beautiful seated dime that was in about AU condition and did electrolysis on it w/ salt water. First and only attempt at it. The obverse came out perfect, but it did everything but destroy the reverse? With my excessive compulsive coin cleaning disorder (ECCCD), I now use a rock tumbler with aquarium gravel and check it every :20 minutes. Does a find job cleaning but... It's just like if the coin was in circulation, it puts wear on it.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Basssman! 2 Barber halves this early in the year is fantastic! Glad to see you could get out. Still locked down and frozen up here for at least another 6 weeks.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent save on that Barber half. That coin turned out great. Good job!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks very nice, great job on all accounts

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice BIG silver! And a Barber to boot! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ToddsPoint, , there are many utube video's … look up cleaning silver coins with electrolysis..... Use any adapter under 12 volts.... Mine happens to be a 6 volt. Cut off the ends, add alligator clips. Use tupperware or a pickle jar. 1 cup of hot water, 1 tablespoon reg. salt, make sure you stir until all the salt is dissolved. Don't worry if you don't know which wire is positive... hook a stainless spoon/fork/ to neg. wire and the coin to the positive wire. Drop both in the solution making sure they don't touch each other. Then plug in the adapter, in a few seconds you will see bubbles coming off the coin, if the stainless is bubbling, you have the wires backwards..... Just un-plug the adapter and put the coin in the other clip and also switch the stainless . Plug in again, within a min. the coin should start to bubble. Leave for 5 min. , unplug, rinse coin and rub coin with fingers under running water, if it needs more, do another 5 min. and check again. If you want, you can change your solution when it gets really black, and then start over. You can use a little baking soda with a drop of water to make a paste and gently rub the paste on both side and rinse off. Don't clean the coin too much, you want it to still look old.... Warning, do not clean a valuable coin--let the pro's do it...

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ToddsPoint, , there are many utube video's … look up cleaning silver coins with electrolysis..... Use any adapter under 12 volts.... Mine happens to be a 6 volt. Cut off the ends, add alligator clips. Use tupperware or a pickle jar. 1 cup of hot water, 1 tablespoon reg. salt, make sure you stir until all the salt is dissolved. Don't worry if you don't know which wire is positive... hook a stainless spoon/fork/ to neg. wire and the coin to the positive wire. Drop both in the solution making sure they don't touch each other. Then plug in the adapter, in a few seconds you will see bubbles coming off the coin, if the stainless is bubbling, you have the wires backwards..... Just un-plug the adapter and put the coin in the other clip and also switch the stainless . Plug in again, within a min. the coin should start to bubble. Leave for 5 min. , unplug, rinse coin and rub coin with fingers under running water, if it needs more, do another 5 min. and check again. If you want, you can change your solution when it gets really black, and then start over. You can use a little baking soda with a drop of water to make a paste and gently rub the paste on both side and rinse off. Don't clean the coin too much, you want it to still look old.... Warning, do not clean a valuable coin--let the pro's do it...

Thanks basssmann for the nice write up. My rural internet connection is so slow I can't watch videos. Life in fly-over country. Can't wait until it warms up so I can find a black silver coin to cook! Thanks again. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread