xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went detecting this past weekend with the Silver Bandit. It was a woods spot that had been detected with some purported good finds being made by others but we wanted to give it a go... After a brief hike out into the woods we came upon a break in the stone wall with two large flat faced rocks marking an entrance. Looks like a good place to start. We turned on our detectors and started swinging. We were at a cellar hole for a house or a barn. It was really tough swinging with some vegetation completely in the way right were you wanted to search. I went right into the bushes and dug a piece of metal garbage. The next hole was outside the thicket and was right next to a downed tree. I got an 86 signal which signified a clad quarter, silver or maybe something else. I dug a hole and out popped a copper coin! I brushed the dirt off to reveal a matron head U.S. large cent! Excellent... less than 10 minutes in and my week is made! I called the bandit over as there was another signal in the hole. Next we had another U.S. Matron! Wow my first time finding two coppers in one hole! … but there was another signal! What could it be? It turned out to be an iron nail. Let's check it one more time... and we have another large cent! What a lucky hole! We went on to detect for several hours encountering holes all over the place... and finding a whole lot of nothing. The kiss of death had been issued. I was fine with it! The bandit lived up to his name and found a silver rosie. The true head scratcher for me was that the other detectorists missed the coins that I found. The area was fairly clean so this signal stuck out like a sore thumb. If you've ever played dice you know a 4, 5, 6 is an instant winning combination to roll. Well the dates on these largies were 1824, 1825 and 1826. Strange but true. I don't know if there are any numerologists out there but this could be big! It was an awesome hunt and thanks to the Silver Bandit! Check the coins: they cleaned up pretty nicely with a toothpick and dry brush. The copper stack grows. Thanks for reading!

IMG_6636.JPG IMG_6638.JPG

Upvote 35

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread