Private Archie Dig - Day 5 - Finished...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My day 5 not the Archies which have done a great volunteering job, this weekend we had about 6 per day.
We have now finished digging all the features in the test trench & have come to the following conclusions;
The deeply buried wooden pole was put next to the 1930s Cricket Pavilion.
The Ridge & Furrow Medieval ploughing was flatted out in the 1930's to make the Cricket Pitch.
The deep drainage pipes were early 19th C & most of them in this area used Napoleonic Prisoners Of War to dig them.
Sadly no signs of the tessera floor, but we hope to find it elsewhere.
With the width of over a metre wide outer foundations with a large post hole, the construction looks mostly wooden but would have been 2 floors high.
It had painted Wall Plaster!
It had a large tiled roof & under-floor heating, with signs of a room that need water-proofing, so maybe a Bath-House on the side.
It had a lot of wealthy visitors & had gambling going on, we assumed it also had a place to drink beer, eat & sleep - like a hotel.
We need to analysis all the bones, but we can tell they had Oysters, Sheep, Cattle, Bird.

The most interesting piece of pottery to come out, which backs up my old theory that it had a Bar is a 'Peterborough Hunt Cup';
https://potted-history.co.uk/products/roman-hunt-cup

Above is a repro, but you get the idea - Running Dog after a Hare. ​It was found by a Russian member of the team. (We also had a Dane):icon_thumright:

I did 1 hour with the Deus & 1 hour on Land-Mag's Nox;
6 Roman Coins
Tatty Hammered Penny
18th C Pewter Button

UPDATE:
Today they were meant to be filling in the trench by 15.00, they called us to pick up a Roman Coin found at the bottom of a Post Hole. We dated the coin to circa 270-80AD.
They also found 2 more big post holes, one of which had part of a broken Roman Glass Vessel, including a complete handle!

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 69
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Peterborough Hunt Cup.jpg
    Peterborough Hunt Cup.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 30

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I hope you have been using the superior Marshalltown trowel in your excavations. Don't let them convince you that WHS trowel is top notch! Haha. ;-)

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Hi Cru. I've gone back over your posts on this dig. If I have it right, you and friends are doing this on your own with the help of the land owner and volunteer Arkie students or pros?
I wondered, do you grid with detector the area of the trench then remove topsoil?
After topsoil removal do you need to detect it again or do the finds come from digging?
Just wondering if you can go that much deeper after 6-12" of topsoil. Always find your posts interesting. Old for us here in midwest U.S.A. is about 200 years old unless it's Native artifacts (arrowheads and stone tools). Good luck.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of work in this trench! Good job! There was really a black cup with a hunting motive there? Stunning. I know the type but the hunting motive seems to be special for your area. Everything decorated like this screams wealth for us. How did the Nox?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of work in this trench! Good job! There was really a black cup with a hunting motive there? Stunning. I know the type but the hunting motive seems to be special for your area. Everything decorated like this screams wealth for us. How did the Nox?
Picture of the front of the Dog now added.

I had 4 coins with the Deus, but in the less covered areas.
I had 2 with the Nox 800 in the most heavy covered area. Although I believe the Nox is deeper than my Deus, the 2 coins seemed in range, just missed them in the past.:dontknow:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cru. I've gone back over your posts on this dig. If I have it right, you and friends are doing this on your own with the help of the land owner and volunteer Arkie students or pros?
I wondered, do you grid with detector the area of the trench then remove topsoil?
After topsoil removal do you need to detect it again or do the finds come from digging?
Just wondering if you can go that much deeper after 6-12" of topsoil. Always find your posts interesting. Old for us here in midwest U.S.A. is about 200 years old unless it's Native artifacts (arrowheads and stone tools). Good luck.
The Archies are part of an amateur group, but they use professional Geophysical machines & are in my opinion as good as any Pro's I have worked with. They have close links to some big Pro groups that back & support them.
We had gridded that area for years, gone over it many, many times. Had about 12 or so coins from that area.
We detect all the spoil at every stage, & every few inches they go down we detect.
Only 1 coin was found in the Trench over 12 inches deep. It just goes to prove that most of the good finds are in the top 12 inches. This has been proved at many dig Sites & is another reason why the Archies find so little metal-work.

This year the Govt is proposing a change in Law to stop this kind of activity unless you get a Permit. I only see the as a hurdle & a money maker for the Govt. What-ever happens we will continue to follow the letter of the Law.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy your threads, and seeing this dig, shows me you care about history.
Keep on diggin'.....!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Archies are part of an amateur group, but they use professional Geophysical machines & are in my opinion as good as any Pro's I have worked with. They have close links to some big Pro groups that back & support them.
We had gridded that area for years, gone over it many, many times. Had about 12 or so coins from that area.
We detect all the spoil at every stage, & every few inches they go down we detect.
Only 1 coin was found in the Trench over 12 inches deep. It just goes to prove that most of the good finds are in the top 12 inches. This has been proved at many dig Sites & is another reason why the Archies find so little metal-work.

This year the Govt is proposing a change in Law to stop this kind of activity unless you get a Permit. I only see the as a hurdle & a money maker for the Govt. What-ever happens we will continue to follow the letter of the Law.

Hope the government doesn't ruin it for you. Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope the government doesn't ruin it for you. Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:
It's a risk.
It's part of several changes to the Treasure Act. It's costing them too much money & time to administer all the Treasure items. The hobby has become more popular & reporting has gone from about 200 items a year to 1200. There was also a bronze Roman Mask that sold for over 4 million & did not qualify as Treasure. So now they are stating that anything over 10,000 pounds need declaring. Many of the low value items were costing 150 to administer & were worth less than 50. So they are fast tracking the rejection of low value items. It currently takes 18 months from start to finish, so this should speed up for items under 250. Plus a lot of other changes, none of which are any concern to us, as they are proposing things we have always done.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:
Today they were meant to be filling in the trench by 15.00, they called us to pick up a Roman Coin found at the bottom of a Post Hole. We dated the coin to circa 270-80AD.
They also found 2 more big post holes, one of which had part of a broken Roman Glass Vessel, including a complete handle!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Cru all the history youve saved. Thanks for sharing. Tommy

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aerial shot of the finished trench.

Attachments

• Aerial.jpg
    Aerial.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the questions we wanted to answer is how far this structure could have been view from & what was the view like from the 2nd floor.
Here is 1 view from many, took a 360 view.

Attachments

• View from top of Roman Building2.jpg
    View from top of Roman Building2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 67

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought I worked hard. Wow, what history and finds. Thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread