Sunday morning Draped Bust and some Victorian spare change

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
My friend and I went to do some detecting in my neck of the woods on Sunday. We hit a couple of corn fields that I hunt from time to time. The corn was harvested just this week. I found what I think is 1800 and definitely a draped bust large copper. In the field next door I found this rather nice Indian Head 1868 and my very first Liberty nickel 1899. It's a very nice orange color?? The hunt was great and I had a ton of fun out there hunting with some great company. Copper is great!!!!

Attachments

• Dsc03385.jpg
    Dsc03385.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 582
  • Dsc03386.jpg
    Dsc03386.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 587
  • Dsc03389.jpg
    Dsc03389.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 575
  • Dsc03391.jpg
    Dsc03391.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 571
  • Dsc03392.jpg
    Dsc03392.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 574
  • Dsc03393.jpg
    Dsc03393.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coppa. ;D The Indian head is a great condition great year coin. ;D I still haven't found a V nickel. :-\ Great hunt. congrats.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins!.....Sweet '68 IH!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
All Right Ed! :D Looks like a great time was had with some fantastic digs! :)

Keep the good stuff coming! ;)
Hank 8)

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I guess the Large Cent upstages the 1868 Indian, but in terms of value, it might be a horse race!

Either coin is a hell of a find. WTG!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! :o Congrats on that first!

Nana :)

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Congratulations on the Large Cent and V nickel and Indian!

The LC I found sounded like a token on the EXPII. The cross hairs landed to the left of center and about 1/3 down from the top. I always listen for that tone now! :D

Nice job!

Ridley

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Great looking coins, I am hearing alot about the corn fields, I am going to have to try it.

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thank you to everyone for your kind comments and:

lost at sea said:
Great looking coins, I am hearing alot about the corn fields, I am going to have to try it.

Yes, the corn fields are great. You need to find one that is near an OLD farm. Something that has been farmed for 'centuries' if possible. If you do find one, think about where folks would have walked in there. Usually any opening to a stone wall is good. Walk into the field from the opening and detect in a line with the opening to your back. Also, folks tended to walk the edges for the fields for access to the field. I usually detect the edges first especially along any path that may run the edges of the field. That's where my last copper came from, the edge of the field. The Indian and the Liberty came from within line of the opening in the stone wall about 200 feet into the second field. Good luck out there ;D

Ridley said:
Congratulations on the Large Cent and V nickel and Indian!

The LC I found sounded like a token on the EXPII. The cross hairs landed to the left of center and about 1/3 down from the top. I always listen for that tone now! :D

Nice job!

Yah, this copper was only about 2" deep so it sounded off really nice. Some of the deeper ones sounded like crap or like a button. I guess it must be the copper corroding or something that makes them sound like that. I use an Explorer II also.

Ed-

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
Hey hey nice finds ED, thanks for the kind words on the buttons I got. Indian heads rule !!! hope you have a good end of the season...L8R

HOWLOW

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds Ed---Congrats.
A large copper is at the top of my wish list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions