Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set out this past Saturday to do a little door knocking. Had two places in mind, and if I struck out at both, I could fall back on one of my pounded permissions. First door - nobody home. Second door -bingo! There were two houses on this property. One was an abandoned tenet house and the other an occupied late 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century farmhouse. Farmer said I could hunt both, but said the abandoned house had been hunted before. I started at the abandoned house and the first ten targets were either pull tabs, aluminum screw on bottle caps, or foil balls. I was about ready to leave when I dug another hole and out pops a beautiful crossed cannons artillery insignia! Then a 1904 IHP, a Pittsburgh trolley token, and a wheat back. I figured I could come back to this place later, but I was curious what was in the farmhouse yard. The farmer’s yard was also productive. I spent several hours there Saturday and again Sunday.

The crossed cannons insignia was the find of the weekend. It is for the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Regiment of Artillery, Battery C, and dates from 1905 to 1917, so it would have been in use during WW I. Here is the site where I got this information: http://hglanham.tripod.com/usartillery/usartillery1.html

Crossed Cannon - F.JPG Crossed Cannon - B.JPG

Here are the better finds off this property. The skeleton key has already been claimed by a girl I showed it to. She wants to wear it around her neck :laughing7: The item above the key is a sash buckle.

All - 2.JPG

Here are the coins I found. Some Indian Head pennies and early wheats, but silver was not showing up.

Coins.JPG

I found three pins. One had Canada on a maple leaf, one had some little glass stones in a white background, and this one from the Fort Necessity Battlefield

Fort Necessity.JPG

Here is the rest of the junk I dragged home - padlock face cover, reins guide, pocket knife, spoon, and piece of clay pipe bowl. I also found a marble that I forgot to include.

Other Junk.JPG

Upvote 60

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a great permission with some very cool saves, the cannons are beautiful condition as well as the FNB pin. Big congratulations on all

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent results from your door knocking! So many high tones there, surprised a silver dime did not pop out. Congrats!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent results from your door knocking! So many high tones there, surprised a silver dime did not pop out. Congrats!!
I left a lot of high tones in the ground that read in the mid 70s on my Deus. I had dug about 10 shotgun shells which read in that range, so I just quit digging those signals. I'm sure some of the aren't shotgun shells though....

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve,
I’m originally from Pittsburgh and I have a great memory of the trolley system there.

My grandmother’s house, which I grew up in, was within eye shot of a trolley stop. My grandmother practically raised me as her own. She died when I was 16 years old. Anyway, I remember her holding me in her arms by the back window of her bedroom. Although I was no more than 4 years old, I remember the trolly making the stop at the top of the hill when she said “ There goes a beep beep”. I guess anything with wheels to me was considered as such. Lol. It is the earliest memory I can recall of my childhood and of my grandmother.

I was wondering if you would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price. I would love to take it to a jeweler and have them add a type of locket frame. I would absolutely cherish it.

Let me know. It’s ok if the answer is no. No harm in asking in fact is actually something she taught me.
Thanks

Steve replied and is kind enough to offer it to me free of charge!!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve,
I’m originally from Pittsburgh and I have a great memory of the trolley system there.

My grandmother’s house, which I grew up in, was within eye shot of a trolley stop. My grandmother practically raised me as her own. She died when I was 16 years old. Anyway, I remember her holding me in her arms by the back window of her bedroom. Although I was no more than 4 years old, I remember the trolly making the stop at the top of the hill when she said “ There goes a beep beep”. I guess anything with wheels to me was considered as such. Lol. It is the earliest memory I can recall of my childhood and of my grandmother.

I was wondering if you would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price. I would love to take it to a jeweler and have them add a type of locket frame. I would absolutely cherish it.

Let me know. It’s ok if the answer is no. No harm in asking in fact is actually something she taught me.
Thanks

Steve replied and is kind enough to offer it to me free of charge!!!

I have found five or six of these tokens. I'll pick out one of the nicer ones to give you when you visit Pittsburgh in April.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post those are some really cool finds those cannons wow

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
totally awesome cannon insignia and way cool on the gifts. you made several people happy as well as yourself:coffee2:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool hunt, you got some real keepers for sure:icon_thumleft:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relicific