Anybody Need a Haircut? I have a Barber!!!

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
I was hunting around a small medical campus that has been around since early 1900's. It has has lots of boom/bust cycles over the years and some ground is untouched while some has been dug, moved, graded, etc. I hunted around the remaining big old trees figuring that the dirt there couldn't have been moved much since the tree was there.

It paid off! I found this 1898-o Barber Half. Scuffed it a bit getting it out of the ground, but I still love it!

Hope I added the pics right...

Wally

Attachments

• barber_half_obv.jpg
    barber_half_obv.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 398
  • barber_half_rev.jpg
    barber_half_rev.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
Thanks all. I found it with my F75. It was only about 4-5 inches down. Read 86-87. I was sure it was a piece of copper tubing or something - I find a lot of construction/house trash like that at this site. I briefly considered not even digging it - glad I ignored that thought.

Got a similar signal a few minutes later and thought "No way.." - it turned out to be a heavy little silver ring! Nice little hunt.

HH,
Wally

KirkPA: my daughter found an old picture of me recently where I actually did have a mullet :-[ Like the man says: "Business up front, Party in the back".

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Hello barbie! A big silver and and old one! A hunting buddy and I used hand arm signals when hunting.....When we found a good coin whe would whistle, then use the hand arm signal. Barber was one hand above the head with two fingers cutting at the hair in a scissors fashion, Merc was one hand on the side of the head waving kinda three stooges like, Wheatie was one hand raised with five fingers extended, IH was five fingers extended above the top of the head, also normally acompanied by a war cry......If I looked over and saw my buddy passed out on the ground with his hand clutching his chest I knew he found a cartwheel! :o

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Great coin! I like the design on the reverse of those.
It must be sorta fun to see a silver coin that size appear in the pile or in the hole, huh?

I hope to find any kind of a half one of these days, they've eluded me. Congrats!

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Admiral de Salee said:
Great coin! I like the design on the reverse of those.
It must be sorta fun to see a silver coin that size appear in the pile or in the hole, huh?

I hope to find any kind of a half one of these days, they've eluded me. Congrats!

Same here..Congrats on the Barber half,nice looking coin

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Always check around those big old oak trees! :D

That's a beautiful Barber Half!

Congratulations!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions