- DISCLAIMER-
These objects have been donated to the Transylvanian History Museum in Cluj -

Hi Tnetters,

What ya all up to ya dirt digging Bast**ds :laughing7:

Been a while because of winter.
Lets not waste time.
Weather got better, forest hunt.

Lets go from interesting to more interesting (my personal criteria), in order:

1. Roman Bronze and iron key. A pretty common artifact as I was told in the museum, but I find it cool that 2000 years ago they actually had lock mechanisms with fitting keys.
Bottom part is Iron, handle is Bronze, nice patina:

schls1.jpg schls2.jpg

2. Bronze age axe head. (bronze) Unfortunately the attachment/ connector is missing from the back, so this is the shaft and blade basically.
My guess is that because the fragmentation edge has patina also, the object was broken either by use or ritually, to render it useless for the mortal and to be sacrificed to earth gods for good luck, etc. So broken back then, not during excavation.
Cool to find a tool/weapon that is around 3000 years old. Always a special moment for me, also because these bronze age axes are basically among the oldest objects of human history a metal detectorist can find:

beiltnet1.jpg beiltnet22.jpg beiltnet4.jpg beiltnet3.jpg

3. Illyrian Dyrrhachion, (Drachma) of Meniekoe, from 229-30 B.C. Possible contemporary Dacian imitation.
A common coin of the Greek era which was often traded in the periphery and used as precursor for designs of Celtic, Dacian, Thracian coins.
This is likely to be a Dacian/Thracian imitation based on the silver quality, design irregularities and geographical context.
Weight is also 2.5g instead of the normal 3.1+g that were normal for genuine Greek coins:

drchm2.jpg drchm3.jpg drchm1.jpg

Reference:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/dt...rachm_ca_22930_bc_silver/1005189/Default.aspx

For me its still a cool piece of history that shows the variety of coinage and how humans adapted, copied and replicated coinage.
Imitations like these are sometimes considered more rare, for me personally I would prefer to have a nice heavy and smooth shiny original with better silver quality, but hey, I'm not gonna bit*h around when I find ancient silver.

Thanks for lookin, keep pluggin away.

Upvote 38

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You located and saved some very cool history there my friend. Try to get out more often so we can see more of these ancient articles :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice hunt Benjamin. The Roman lock and key is amazing, I couldn’t imagine finding a lock that old, I do cheetah flips when finding an 1800s lock. Good luck with your detecting. Walt

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! The axe might be broken, but it has a nice bit & beautiful patina! The key & coin are in nice shape, also.
Congrat's!

Iowa Dale

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Keys in general aren't too special but Bi-metallic bronze and iron Roman keys aren't very common, that is a nice discovery. Thanks for sharing!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool stuff ya got!!!!!!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great hunt

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ax is absolutely amazing. Great finds!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds Benjamin! Three outstanding finds in one post! Big congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread