xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in general discussion. I meant to post here in todays finds.

Sunday was my B Day. My wife asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday... It was a miserable rainy day so of course I wanted to go to see Paul Revere's house. Being the wonderful wife she is she obliged! Situated in the north end of Boston the house was built in the 1600's burned down and was rebuilt around 1680. Revere moved into the house much later and lived there on and off for a number of years. The house is by no means large but it consisted of 2 large rooms and 2 smaller rooms. The house was set with period decoration and contained some furniture that had belonged to Revere himself as well as some artifacts that belonged to him. What was kind of interesting to me was that Revere played a small role in the history of the house (by living there) and all the other inhabitants before and after are pretty much forgotten, just as the other riders on the famous midnight ride are not as well known. That's just the way it goes I suppose we are lucky if anything we do lives on past our own lives! It's interesting when you really get down to it how much of these structures are original? They said about 90% of the original frame was there some of the beams and floorboards that were exposed were original. It reminds me of the U.S.S. constitution: almost everything you see on the ship has been replaced to the point that a small portion of the original ship remains in the keel. Interestingly rolling of copper was a closely guarded secret. Revere figured out how to do it and produced the copper sheeting that they put on the U.S.S. constitution to keep marine worms from boring holes through the wood. The more I get into metal detecting the more interest I have in visiting the historic homes around new England. You can scratch the surface of what it was like to live back then. Cold, Dark, smelly. Life was far from easy.

Now could I let a birthday go by without detecting? Nope.

The following is two combined hunts:

This spot looked like a freshly cut woods when I first detected there and quickly found out it was a complete hell of poison ivy. I found my field glasses made by Paul Revere's Grandson's optical / surveying instruments co. there this summer. I took the silver bandit there a week ago. Almost immediately he found a matching pair of monogrammed and dated gold cuff links! I was like omg I have to find something fast as daylight was rapidly fading! But good for you man! I quickly found this gold plated initialed pin. G... hmmm that's what my last name begins with?! You can tell it's plated. Not sure of the age. I'll say it's probably antique. The ground was frozen and impossible to dig in many spots. I half broke my wrist trying to chop a Lincoln memorial out of the ground. The day was now over.

Fast forward to my b day hunt. More snow had fallen but it was now raining and it was a cold raw day. The ground was still frozen in many spots and I managed to find a 1930 wheatie, a bag or bale seal, and an 1887 IHP. The IHP made my day as I don't find those too often... though relatively common still a rarity for me. I need to get some of those Andre's pencils as this thing has a layer that I just can't toothpick off. It was a great birthday thanks to my wife and family and the IHP was the cherry on top! Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_6656.JPG
    IMG_6656.JPG
    850.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6657.JPG
    IMG_6657.JPG
    838.6 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 23

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were going to say that you got permission to detect Paul Revere's yard ! He was certainly one of this country's premier Silversmiths ! I can only imagine what that yard might be hiding.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were going to say that you got permission to detect Paul Revere's yard ! He was certainly one of this country's premier Silversmiths ! I can only imagine what that yard might be hiding.

Oh I wish! There is an area next to the house that was the yard in the past and they recently excavated it and found the privy. I was not privy to that dig unfortunately! It got me thinking though that there has got to be some colonial era Revere silver in the ground around Boston. Needle in a haystack yes. Impossible to find? Not quite. Could take awhile. HaHa.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gotta love history, so much cool stuff and places. great thread

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post sounds like you have a great Wife
Also Happy B day the older ya vet the quicker they come Great finds also, Tommy

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a GREAT bday! You forgot the best keeper of all...the wife! Mine knows what keeps me grounded...and she is excellent at getting permissions for me, as she works and hobnobs in a County Office setting, occasionally bumping into people who live in the Heritage District in town. Awesome finds, thx for sharing, Ddf.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy belated birthday, good story, congratulations on the saves, the button is sweet

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congrats! :occasion14:

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy birthday & congrats on your cool finds! Love your story. I too have dreams of finding some silver that can be attributed to
Paul Revere. Must be something lying in the ground somewhere. I remember his house was very small & you had to duck down to
go through some of the inside doorways. Believe it was owned by the Mather's before Paul got it. A few years ago they opened a
time capsule at the old State House that had some Paul Revere stuff in it that he had put there.
"other riders on the famous midnight ride are not as well known" Many unsung heroes of those times in New England.
One story I've been relating to people for over 45 years is of a man named Israel Bissell. He's buried in Hinsdale Mass.
Revere rode about 20 miles before being captured, stopping at every tavern along the way (according to legend). Bissell rode over
300 miles through New York & on to Philly to warn of the fighting @ Lexington & Concord. One of his horses died along the way &
Bissell himself almost died from exhaustion. Bissell was a postal rider & farmer.
Someone wrote a poem about him similar to the one Longfellow wrote about Revere. It goes like this:
" Listen, my children, to my epistle
Of the long, long ride of Israel Bissell,
Who out rode Paul by miles and time
But didn't rate a poet's rhyme."
Cheers. Happy Hunting everyone. Spring is just around the corner. Maybe some Paul Revere silver is waiting for us to bring it
back to life. J.T.G.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds and thanks for the read. Happy BDay too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread