74th Regiment button

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a bit ago on the shores of Maine. Pretty cool considering I had no idea what I had before the Google images search. Strange to find it where I did considering the history of where these folks where. It was dug at low tide way up a cove with my newish ENox 800, 6" coil, beach 2, with upgrade. The pics might show up as attachments since I can make no headway on posting pics, no matter what I do!
017.jpg
018.jpg

Upvote 20

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Pretty good pics...Nice save and ID!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... The pics might show up as attachments since I can make no headway on posting pics, no matter what I do!
tn_metal_detector.gif
Both pictures are showing - do you want me to move this thread over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bodkin, Great save on the button. Congrat's to you on some Saved History. It is amazing to me on how some of these pieces hold up as well as they do after so many years, but I'm glad that they do. Great looking button there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure! Would love to see more folks see this! Not worried about getting kudos but want to share the history. I had no idea what I had and it was kind of neat doing the research and finding out what this was all about. Up till now most of my finds have been the modern stuff picked up along the beaches of Florida. Now that I'm in Maine for a spell I'm finding old stuff. I have more to post and used this one as my trial run.. Thanks!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool historic find. Congrats.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Bodkin! That’s a fantastic piece of Maine history. I live in the midcoast part of the state. I would be spending more time where you found that button

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Rev War find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice button! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing looks great just as it is Looks like you might have found a good hunting spot. Well done. Tommy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been some very nice 74th found in Maine including officer buttons so you very well might find more and better. Castine area appears to be the hot spot.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! I appreciate the encuragement. Very tough hunting this winter. Crazy cold and I'm missing my Florida beaches this time of year. I will say though, I'm learning this area and the history am am stoked on what the summer will yield. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been some very nice 74th found in Maine including officer buttons so you very well might find more and better. Castine area appears to be the hot spot.
Yes Iron Patch, I read that. I saw the 74th Regiment sailed from Castine to Halifax? I'm over 100 miles away from Castine and pretty far inland. Maybe they got tired and decided to have lunch waaayyy up stream. Thanks for the info and I will scour this place come summer. Cheers!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see on Wikipedia that the 74th sailed from Ireland to Nova Scotia in 1818. I don't know my geography too good but I think that's relatively close to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions