two rings on a 22 cal. bullet a dime and 1863 10 centimes

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone...just like the other day, not much to show for a couple hours work but at least i got some swing time in.

Between rain showers i was able to pluck out a few keepers.
This coin popped out in the middle of a zink penny spill. Funny thing is, i passed on this spill the other day after getting tired of digging them.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Next was this bullet. looks to be 22 Cal and old. I cant find any pictures or info on 22 cal bullets with two rings. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Finally a mercury dime to round off my better finds of the day.
I took this picture to compare the size of the bullet to the dime.
A very tiny bullet indeed!
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

HH everyone!

Upvote 15

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool hunt I havent even got out this year really crappy weather. Any hunt is a great hunt to me. That Merc is a good find .Well done my friend

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs but I can't really tell what that first coin is. Doubt it's a really old .22 if it is indeed a .22, should be measured with a caliper. The early .22s were called heel based meaning the bottom part was the diameter of the inside of the cartridge case and the top half was the diameter of the outside of the cartridge case. Modern ones last 80 years maybe are not like that. Sweet Merc dime.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Is that a 1863 coin or a token? Nice Merc! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

mpmccann

Feb 14, 2019
Denton Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Whites Treasure Master
"Looking real hard at the Minelabs Equinox"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs but I can't really tell what that first coin is. Doubt it's a really old .22 if it is indeed a .22, should be measured with a caliper. The early .22s were called heel based meaning the bottom part was the diameter of the inside of the cartridge case and the top half was the diameter of the outside of the cartridge case. Modern ones last 80 years maybe are not like that. Sweet Merc dime.

Thanks for the info...i don't have a caliper but i guess its about time i got one.

Nice finds! Is that a 1863 coin or a token? Nice Merc! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Yes its a coin...here is a picture of the front and back cleaned up. Its from France. What i believe to be 10 centimes. Just a little larger than a quarter. When i saw the eagle on the back i was thinking american.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't need a caliper to be close. Just set the base on a ruler. If it is a .22, it will be a touch under 1/4 inch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions