Found an old coin months back need help identifying it

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2D243189-1AF8-4C85-93EB-C876EE68E014.jpeg
Found this coin on Roanoke Island NC and most people know that it’s the island of the lost colony so it’s definitely got some old roots and history. I’m curious on what it is and the value also. People do find old coins here often especially on and around the beaches but I’m not on the beach. I’m on the Island and I found it on the North end of the island and where the lost colony supposedly where at and also the old fort Raleigh was in that area. We still have one of the hospitals that served during the civil war in that area. So if anyone can help me out thanks in advance..

Upvote 15

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. Can you try taking some clearer pictures? Did you clean it? The toning doesn’t seam even.

OP
OP
J

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and definitely need to grab a book like that. Yes I’m lucky to be born and raised in this area and I always go on walks with my wife around the lost colony site an the fort Raleigh site.. and I’m just now getting into metal detecting and really want to do my property because the house was built in the 40s and the local doctor built this house an I’m sure he had lot of visitors coming and going because he supposedly had his office here so maybe I can find some old coin spills. I’m about to buy one do you have any suggestions on a Metal detector for a rookie that’s not to high in price. Oh we found this coin on the ground while we were walking so I find that a bit strange but I’m lucky to find it

OP
OP
J

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m using a mobile phone and don’t see any option for adding a picture unfortunately. Thanks but I guess you can’t add a picture with a phone and yes this coin is an awesome find and glad you all on this site are very awesome and figured out so fast on what my coin was.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the birth of your first son! Our first grandson was born 7 months ago and he is a joy.

As Esotericvalue stated above, the value of the coin will be greatest as an artifact of your hunt. We don't have an exact ID yet - just narrowed it down to some strong possibilities of a time of great upheaval in England and its colonies. If it is a Charles I issue, then it would date 1638-49 which is considered a "Provincial and Civil War issue". The English Civil War also produced skirmishes here in the colonies too. I'm aware of pitched battles here in MD, not sure about your area. If it is a similar Charles II three-pence, then we know that it cannot be more recent than the beginning of 1662 and most likely earlier because it is a hammered coin.

What I recommend is to not overclean the coin. Use a magnifier and compare it to the pics in Seaby when you can get a copy (an old used copy will be just as good for identification purposes). Take your time and have fun with it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw that you found the coin on the surface - that's a good sign. Maybe the area has experienced some disturbance including plowing, erosion, etc.

Before you consider specific models - and there are hundreds, I suggest you start another way. Make a list of the kinds of metal detecting that you want to do. That is the best way to avoid a mistake. Then consider your budget and how important a new detector warranty is to you. If you don't mind a used car or truck, then you may not mind a lightly and carefully used machine. And consider buying from one of the sponsors or private sellers at this site (I have done both happily).

Enjoy that new little boy!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post again when you identify the kind of hunting you want to do and where and your budget and you will get some good suggestions.

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found just lying on the surface?? Wow! Are we sure it’s the real deal and not a copy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread