Found an old coin months back need help identifying it

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2D243189-1AF8-4C85-93EB-C876EE68E014.jpeg
Found this coin on Roanoke Island NC and most people know that it’s the island of the lost colony so it’s definitely got some old roots and history. I’m curious on what it is and the value also. People do find old coins here often especially on and around the beaches but I’m not on the beach. I’m on the Island and I found it on the North end of the island and where the lost colony supposedly where at and also the old fort Raleigh was in that area. We still have one of the hospitals that served during the civil war in that area. So if anyone can help me out thanks in advance..

Upvote 15
OP
OP
J

JB McMUFF

Greenie
Mar 3, 2019
Outer Banks NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No dates on it but I’m guessing 1600s to 1700s but who knows. Yea that would be awesome an I think it’s silver an I think it’s British also..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely 1662 or earlier. According to my old edition of Seaby's, British coins under Charles II were made with a Roettiers improved mill and screw press starting in 1662. The design is very similar to Charles I three pence coins as well. The picture of a Charles I three pence from 1644 (Seaby 3089) is very similar to your coin.

You should be able to find an old copy of Seaby's Standard Catalog of British Coins at a used bookstore for a couple of bucks - cheap reference for hunting places where British coins are found. Mine is dated 1989 and it is fine to use to identify found coins.

So cool to be hunting around the Lost Colony area!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread