2 Day Recap; First Spanish Silver, GW, & What-is-it?

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been combing a wooded area near where I live (walking distance) and so far I've been getting at least one silver per trip. Total of 7 silvers in 6 trips. The good targets are widely scattered but the finds have been worth while. I dig every target even tho most are shotgun shells and bullets. Not much clad so any high tone is exciting.

Yesterday after work I pulled a 1945 GW, I haven't found one in almost 2 years! Crazy how it works out sometimes. I usually find older quarters in the areas I typically hunt.
Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-31-08.png

What-is-it? I found a fragment piece of a stone marker(?) that beeps a high tone when I swing the coil over it. It's heavy for its size.
Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-31-22.jpg Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-31-29.jpg

Then today I found only one keeper but I made it count in a big way. My first Half Real! I'd compare the feeling to hitting a homerun with a bat flip hahaha. It had a VDI of 78 (ground balance of 90), I was expecting a memorial penny. Thanks to Steve in PA for the info on this beauty.
Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-30-10.png Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-30-22.png

A better picture of the year.
Screenshot_2019-03-12-21-29-34.png

Don't skip over those penny signals is the lesson of the day. Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Upvote 31

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 Day Recap; First Spanish Silver, GW, & What-is-it?

Congratulations on your silver ESPECIALLY your first Spanish silver. What a special moment that none of us ever forget. I found only one Ferdinand and it was also a 1808 I got lucky because it was in great condition. Let me know if you wanna see it. Congratulations!!!

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Spanish silver Louis. 1808 Ferdinand VII. You never know when or where one of those could turn up. My brother found one when we were little kids looking for arrowheads. But now you can scratch that off the list.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your silver ESPECIALLY your first Spanish silver. What a special moment that none of us ever forget. I found only one Ferdinand and it was also a 1808 I got lucky because it was in great condition. Let me know if you wanna see it. Congratulations!!!

Thanks! I actually never researched these coins until today because I never expected to find one. Yeah I'd like to see yours, that would be cool!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Spanish silver Louis. 1808 Ferdinand VII. You never know when or where one of those could turn up. My brother found one when we were little kids looking for arrowheads. But now you can scratch that off the list.

I've been crossing coins off the list and ending coin droughts recently. It's a great feeling for sure. Does your brother still have it?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congrats, those reales will definitely get your blood pumping :hello2:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Awesome! Not as exciting but the Merc I found on Sunday was also a penny signal. Way to go man, that’s awesome. Really makes you wonder what was happening in those woods that made people lose all those coins. Way to go!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ICRR is IL Central Rail Road. If I found it here in IL, that's what I'd think it was. Not sure if ICRR made it out your way so this is just a guess. Gary

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first Spanish silver. They are very special little coins.

Good luck to you sir.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Spanish Louis! I know you were looking forward to the time change to get some after work hikes in. They are really paying off. Smash the rock!!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ICRR is IL Central Rail Road. If I found it here in IL, that's what I'd think it was. Not sure if ICRR made it out your way so this is just a guess. Gary

That makes the most sense but like you said it would be out of place. The closest railroad on the old maps is P. C. & W. R. R. Pittsburgh Chartiers and Wabash Rail Road. Thanks for the clue, there's still a chance it could be what you said.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Spanish Louis! I know you were looking forward to the time change to get some after work hikes in. They are really paying off. Smash the rock!!

Thanks! The time change is great, now it's a race against time to hit all these areas before the poison ivy starts growing again. Anyone else think there's metal in the rock?

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Not as exciting but the Merc I found on Sunday was also a penny signal. Way to go man, that’s awesome. Really makes you wonder what was happening in those woods that made people lose all those coins. Way to go!

To my knowledge there were some old 1800s dots on maps around the area so I think it was a decades old shortcut and hunting area. The land has never been developed.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Spanish silver. My first (and only to date) was also a Half Reale. It was an 1820, and it's been 10 years since I found it here in Illinois. I can still remember every detail on the hunt in the yard I found it in. I'm sure you will remember yours for years to come.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been crossing coins off the list and ending coin droughts recently. It's a great feeling for sure. Does your brother still have it?
Louis, I'm sure he still has it. It was 1803. He got another one, 1779, that my grandmother found years ago when she worked at the Mellon Bank branch in Ligonier. Half reals ring up at 87 on my XP Deus, same as a copper Lincoln penny. I have found 29 of them over the years, but all were on sites where you could expect to find one. I've never had one turn up on an unexpected site. I have talked to two other guys that have eyeballed them while hunting arrowheads. I know the field where one of them was found, but they don't plow it anymore.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds. Man I have to say your picture is pretty amusing to just zone out to! haha. Nice half reale…! My most recent copper spill was a CT copper and it gave a penny signal! Glad I dug it!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That spanish silver would be enough to make my year if you found that theres gotta be more Well done on all your finds. Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Louis, I'm sure he still has it. It was 1803. He got another one, 1779, that my grandmother found years ago when she worked at the Mellon Bank branch in Ligonier. Half reals ring up at 87 on my XP Deus, same as a copper Lincoln penny. I have found 29 of them over the years, but all were on sites where you could expect to find one. I've never had one turn up on an unexpected site. I have talked to two other guys that have eyeballed them while hunting arrowheads. I know the field where one of them was found, but they don't plow it anymore.

Wow yeah, I seen your signature stats and you've found a lot of them. It's hard to imagine many people finding 29 (or more) in a lifetime. To spot one while looking for arrowheads is amazing. I suppose I found mine the hard way just randomly searching the woods. I went back yesterday and only found a 1906 IH and miners tag. I think I probably found the best coin in those woods but I'll keep going to be sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread