Garage Sale find

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that this is a metal detecting site, and the item that I am showing WAS found with a metal detector, but it just wasn't me. Went to a garage sale last weekend, and while looking thru a misc. box of items, I found the pictured button. Was advised that it had been found by her husband on one of his detecting trips when living back east. He no longer MDed, and he didn't want the pin, and I could have it if I wanted it. Guess what? I wanted it. Hope you enjoy. We just don't find this type on item out here.

Attachments

• Garage Sale Finds 014aa.jpg
    Garage Sale Finds 014aa.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Garage Sale Finds 016a.jpg
    Garage Sale Finds 016a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,118
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
niceeeeeeeee find....dont tell me ya got it for 25cents.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Way to go!!

BureFreak

Mar 26, 2007
Lake Mary, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
You need to have an expert look at that button. If it does turn out to be authentic, that would be worth hundreds. The Confederate relics are much more rare than Union. I have found a Confederate I-Script button that has the exact same look. Way to go.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bootybay said:
niceeeeeeeee find....dont tell me ya got it for 25cents.
No, it didn't cost me a quarter. It was free!

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BureFreak said:
You need to have an expert look at that button. If it does turn out to be authentic, that would be worth hundreds. The Confederate relics are much more rare than Union. I have found a Confederate I-Script button that has the exact same look. Way to go.
It's an authentic piece. I've looked around on the web some, and found one that looked just like this one, but that one that been sold, and I wasn't able to find what it sold for. It was pictured in an auction of Civil War buttons. It also is pictured in the catalog of Confederate buttons. But that book also does not list a price. Would be interesting to know what it might be worth. Thanks for the kind words.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks way too clean to be a dug button. I would think it's a re-enactor's button. Just my 2 cents.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
To me it looks way too clean to be a dug button. I would think it's a re-enactor's button. Just my 2 cents.

Looks clean because the entire surface was stripped, not exactly what one should do with a dug relic. It would be a good way to hide a fake , and with a blurry picture hard to confirm if authentic. I just looked on Ebay and they actually sell repros that are artificially aged! Geeze, talk about some fraud gonna happen there.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:

Looks clean because the entire surface was stripped, not exactly what one should do with a dug relic. I think plehbah called it right.

It was in the shape its in when I got it. I'm guessing that the guy that found it is the one that cleaned it. He advised that he had dug the pin about 20 years ago, and that he cleaned it when he found it, and then just threw it in a box and forgot it. I have done nothing to the piece, but still thought that it was a pretty neat piece to find at a garage sale. I'll send some pictures off to the button authorities, but I'm 99% sure that it is authentic. Will let everyone know.

Thanks to all those who have helped with this item.

HH Larry

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that these button companies still produce the same buttons that they did during the Civil War. I have 10 of them just like the one you posted as backups in case the ones on my uniform ( I am in the Sons of Confederate Veterans) pop off with time. I think that it would be a very good idea to have it looked at. It couldnt hurt anything and it might be real. I just cannot see someone giving away a button worth a couple hundred dollars or more. But I WILL NOT say it isnt possible. I hope that it IS the case. Keep us posted. Awesome find, especially for FREE.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
{Sentinel} said:
You know that these button companies still produce the same buttons that they did during the Civil War. I have 10 of them just like the one you posted as backups in case the ones on my uniform ( I am in the Sons of Confederate Veterans) pop off with time. I think that it would be a very good idea to have it looked at. It couldnt hurt anything and it might be real. I just cannot see someone giving away a button worth a couple hundred dollars or more. But I WILL NOT say it isnt possible. I hope that it IS the case. Keep us posted.
I was talking to the guys wife about being into MDing, as the first thing that I saw at the sale was his old White's MD. My first one was a similar one (Coin Master), that used to kill my are after about a half hour because of the weight. Anyway, to make a long story short, she went and got her husband, and we talked for about a half hour. He had lost interest in MDing, and hadn't went in about 15 or 20 years, and didn't want to get a new detector. He said that he thought that the piece was probably worth some money, but he didnt' know how much, and he thought that another detector user would like to have it as a souvineir. Needless to say, I thanked him very much. He also had some old lead bullets in a display case hanging on his wall, which he was keeping. I'll post my findings on this button when I find something out for sure. Thanks for your input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread